A New "Era" of Sonos Speakers

• 6 February 2023
  • 99 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

99 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Leaks have tremendous value to the consumer. Anybody who was about to drop serious coin on a Sonos system now has more information that big upgrades, and perhaps associated sales, are on the horizon. 

For us, it would be best if someone spilled the whole roadmap. :) Even when it’s subject to change.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Maybe as whiny current customers, we are get first dibs via email when sonos does bother to make them available, and we can begin the months long whining about software updates making things worse, until sonos head engineer #1 figures out what they did wrong in the first place

Maybe as whiny current customers, we are get first dibs via email when sonos does bother to make them available, and we can begin the months long whining about software updates making things worse, until sonos head engineer #1 figures out what they did wrong in the first place

Gee, you'd think a product which brings such utter disappointment would turn someone off from purchasing it.  Then again, some folks seem to enjoy whining.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

New product announcements, made too early have killed companies.

Not just sales but the whole company.

Osborne  https://infogalactic.com/info/Osborne_effect

Userlevel 7

New products announced next week!

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/11ge8mz/new_products_launching_in_4_days/

New product announcements, made too early have killed companies.

Not just sales but the whole company.

Osborne  https://infogalactic.com/info/Osborne_effect

1- - media leaks potential atmos speaker

2 - Apple decides to re-release homepod speaker that happens to compete with said speaker before said speaker is released.

🤔

Maybe coincidence.  Maybe not.

As far as consumer goes, I get the immediate benefit to waiting to purchase when you know a better product will be released soon.  However,  I want Sonos to be around for a long long time to continue to support the system I’m invested in.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

The photo of the 100 does not appear to show an ethernet port. Quite often when providing help on this board the suggestion is made to temporarily wire one device to the router. Are moving into an era where fixing network issues becomes harder to do?

Userlevel 7

The photo of the 100 does not appear to show an ethernet port. Quite often when providing help on this board the suggestion is made to temporarily wire one device to the router. Are moving into an era where fixing network issues becomes harder to do?

“Sonos will separately sell a line-in adapter for USB-C audio and a “combo adapter” for plugging in over ethernet”

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Sonos:  just make sure speaker stands are ready to go as well...

Slightly more difficult, I suspect. I’d put money on the fact the stands aren’t made by Sonos in Sonos manufacturing plants, but made by third parties. Just a guess, mind you. 

Slightly more difficult, I suspect. I’d put money on the fact the stands aren’t made by Sonos in Sonos manufacturing plants, but made by third parties. Just a guess, mind you. 

I believe Sanus, company that often makes speakers stands for Sonos, was involved in one of the leaks.  Plus, it’s stands are almost always released at the time speakers are released, portable speakers are the only exception I can recall.  I’d say be surprised if stands aren’t released when the new speakers are released.

“Sonos will separately sell a line-in adapter for USB-C audio and a “combo adapter” for plugging in over ethernet”

USB C to ethernet adapters run about $15 on Amazon, if you don’t need audio.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I noticed the dreaded “pre-order" phrase included in my email notification. 

Sonos: just build the damn things and then offer to the market, don't get greedy for cash and put your best customers in pre-orders wait time hell.

Sonos: just build the damn things and then offer to the market, don't get greedy for cash and put your best customers in pre-orders wait time hell.

I guess the good news is that no payment is taken until the devices are shipped. It probably just assists Sonos to quickly establish the demand and supply, going forward and to manage that entire process.

Latency rate is not mention? Specially for gamers that is very important thing. I have other brand headphones but their Latency rate is 50 to 70ms. And is there any app they develop to control the volume? It give more branding look and now a day everyone have android phone to install app.

Latency rate is not mention? Specially for gamers that is very important thing. I have other brand headphones but their Latency rate is 50 to 70ms. And is there any app they develop to control the volume? It give more branding look and now a day everyone have android phone to install app.

I’d guess there will be a line-in latency of 75ms, that’s geared for ‘grouping’ speakers, as that applies with existing Sonos products, but that’s obviously a guess on my part and these speakers seem to be part of a multi-room wireless audio system for TV/Music audio rather than gaming speakers, unless of course they are perhaps ‘bonded’ (not grouped) with a Sonos Home Theatre Product, which are more suitable for gaming purposes. The latency is minimal/negligible when it comes to HT surrounds/Sub. I’m guessing the new Era’s will be capable of being used for ‘surround’ duty.

The Android App by the way, alongside other platforms, for control of the speakers is available here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

My guess is that the new speakers will insert the same latency as the current speakers -- otherwise the new speakers would not be compatible with the current speakers and we would effectively have an S3 system.

The latency is probably software based, and not hardware based. Sonos is set up for 2.4Ghz synchronization across multiple rooms. It doesn’t matter how ‘fast’ the encoding from Analog to digital, or how fast the digital input is, it matters in the Sonos system how the engineers programmed the software in order to have enough ‘buffer’ to play in sync across multiple devices connected (worst case) to a 2.4 GHz channel. 

In order to have Sonos play across multiple rooms more quickly, the underlying premise of Sonos would need to fundamentally change. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I think the idea that some people are asking for is the you could switch selected speakers into ‘autarky’ mode. They become low-latency but can no longer be a source of network-play.

Why not allow that currently with the Sonos Five? It also has a line in. 

I would guess the reason is that Sonos sells “multi-room” speakers. They’re not in the business of selling one room speakers, there’s already a ton of competition in that space. Sonos has built their reputation and product line on the fact that data is shared across your network.

It would feel odd for them to change that now. But I suppose anything is possible, it most likely depends on what the market is demanding, and how well Sonos fits in that environment (without breaking all the older devices/systems that are in use, or confusing all of the existing users)

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

That pre-order was painless enough 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I guess the good news is that no payment is taken until the devices are shipped. It probably just assists Sonos to quickly establish the demand and supply, going forward and to manage that entire process.

Well they took MY money immediately….with the promise to ship starting 3/28.

I have a large room with very high ceiling.  Love my Arc/sub/Fives right now.  can I ADD 2 ERA 300s to this?  I do not want to replace the Fives as rear speakers

I have a large room with very high ceiling.  Love my Arc/sub/Fives right now.  can I ADD 2 ERA 300s to this?  I do not want to replace the Fives as rear speakers

No, you would need to replace the surrounds you have with the new Eras. 

Just ordered a 100 - I sent back a Sonos One because Alexa was unreliable - a critical function for me. I spent too many hours with support to no avail. I subsequently bought several Amazon Echo devices, all of which have been completely reliable re Alexa, also dirt cheap, but nowhere near as good re sound quality.

I loved the sound of the One though, so I’m just hoping they will have improved this aspect with the new model. If not I of course have the option of using the marvellous returns policy.