Answered

Voice assistant does not recognise Spotify

• 21 February 2023
  • 25 replies

When asking Sonos voice assistant to play music it says that I must have a music subscription.

I use Spotify all the time with sonos. Alexa has no trouble with Spotify. I recently used sonos voice assistant with One of my Sono One devices and it worked fine. When I moved the speaker to another location it stopped accepting Spotify.

I have since deleted Spotify and reinstalled

I have deleted Sonos and reinstalled

I have removed voice assistant and reinstalled

I have run out of choices

When I look at music services in setting I see that Spotify is greyed out with a comment … not compatible

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 22 February 2023, 02:24

View original

25 replies

Userlevel 7

Sonos Voice Control currently works with Sonos Radio, Apple Music, Amazon Music, Deezer, and Pandora. It doesn’t work with Spotify.

Thank you

The funny thing is, as I explained to Sonos this morning, is that it worked two days ago. I then moved my speaker to a new position and renamed it and now SVS does not recognise Spotify 

I am sure that if Amazon can work with Alexa I am sure Sonos ( at the price per unit) could have theirs working

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Spotify is not mentioned in the list with supported music services on Sonos Voice Control:

https://support.sonos.com/article/music-services-that-work-with-sonos-voice-control

Are you sure you weren't using Alexa before?

I am very sure because it wasn’t set up

until then I used Sonos !!

Sonos Voice (SVC), as well as Google and Alexa, can perform basic playback functions regardless of streaming source.  So you can  make commands to pause, resume, fwd, rev, volume control, grouping, etc.  What you can’t do is request a specific song/artist/radio etc from music services that aren’t supported, like Spotify.  The difference clearly is about doing a search through a music service to see what’s available.  Sonos has not stated why some service are not supported, or explained how SVC works to process all commands locally, unlike Alexa or Google.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/list-of-voice-requests-for-sonos-voice-control

Thanks everyone for stating that Sonos SVSdoes not support Spotify ….. this I understand. What I don’t understand is one day I say “ hey Sonos play xyz” and it does……. The next day it is not supported 

thank you everyone

Your claim that SVC worked to request music from Spotify despite that Spotify isn’t supported,  isn’t something I’ve seen reported by anyone else on the forum.  Spotify on SVC has never been supported.  Since I wasn’t there to witness what you experienced, I’d have to assume that either you were mistaken about the music service you were using with SVC, were actually using Alexa or Google voice, or were asking a request that works on any music service.  The chance that it worked for you and no one else is extremely unlikely. 

Wow such a knowledgeable person 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @thehide 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

@melvimbe is not wrong - Sonos Voice Control does not currently support Spotify, nor has it ever. It does support media controls for anything already queued or playing, as mentioned, so this is the most likely explanation for what you experienced.

We are working on bringing support for more services to Sonos Voice Control, and Spotify is naturally a priority.

I hope this helps.

Some people just can’t help themselves and need to comment 

thank you for a final time …. It would appear the forum is not a suitable place to get technical results only opinions 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I'd say a the fact a Sonos representative replying Spotify does not (yet) work with SVC is not an opinion, but that he is stating a “technical result” in your terms. You not agreeing with the statement does not make the statement just an “opinion".

😪

I wonder if you had the Google Assistant setup because I definitely use that to play Spotify on my Sonos.

Everyone saying that Spotify doesn't work with Sonos in any way is simply wrong. I've had a Sonos Roam for almost a year now, and have used it to play Spotify via Google Assistant since I got it. It may be the case that it *only* works via Google Assistant, and not through Sonos' "native" integrations, but that's fine with me. I always play music with voice commands. For me it stopped working about a week ago. It can even look up playlists and such. E.g. I just tested asking it to play Led Zeppelin, and Google Assistant responded with "Alright, here's the Spotify playlist called 'This is Led Zeppelin'" (which is how Spotify names their curated band playlists). The music just doesn't actually stream like it always has anymore.

If the full integration with Google Assistant has been taken away from users, I will have to get a new speaker, as that was the whole purpose to me, and I will never buy a Sonos product again (I'm glad this happened now, because I was about to buy two Sonos soundbars).

Same here.. have used google voice command for almost two years for Spotify played on my Sonos. Just stopped working this week. 

https://status.sonos.com

Thanks for that status page. I'm relieved that this problem with Google Assistant is just an outage.

Badge

Thanks everyone for stating that Sonos SVSdoes not support Spotify ….. this I understand. What I don’t understand is one day I say “ hey Sonos play xyz” and it does……. The next day it is not supported 

thank you everyone

If you had a Spotify session going on the speaker, then paused it (verbally or otherwise), you can say “Hey Sonos, play” and it will resume.  Basically, its toggling the play/pause button, but not really engaging with the Spotify Service.  What I need it to do is take a command like “Play bedtime music in Jack’s room” and have it go to Spotify and play the playlist for Bedtime music on the speaker I have named Jack’s room.  That is the piece that is apparently still in development.

Badge

Everyone saying that Spotify doesn't work with Sonos in any way is simply wrong. I've had a Sonos Roam for almost a year now, and have used it to play Spotify via Google Assistant since I got it. It may be the case that it *only* works via Google Assistant, and not through Sonos' "native" integrations, but that's fine with me. I always play music with voice commands. For me it stopped working about a week ago. It can even look up playlists and such. E.g. I just tested asking it to play Led Zeppelin, and Google Assistant responded with "Alright, here's the Spotify playlist called 'This is Led Zeppelin'" (which is how Spotify names their curated band playlists). The music just doesn't actually stream like it always has anymore.

If the full integration with Google Assistant has been taken away from users, I will have to get a new speaker, as that was the whole purpose to me, and I will never buy a Sonos product again (I'm glad this happened now, because I was about to buy two Sonos soundbars).

The issue with using Google or Amazon is - you leave the privacy of the home network and open up to the Internet.  Now my kids (10 and 8) can ask the speaker to search any nonsense they want.  If the Sonos assistant works as advertised, they would only be able to search the services I have enabled (ie Spotify).

As I have stated in previous forums on this subject, the lack of this integration is stopping me from buy 2-3 additional Sonos speakers.  Sure, 2-3 are not a lot, but I would bet my use case is common to a lot of households world wide.

What I need it to do is take a command like “Play bedtime music in Jack’s room” and have it go to Spotify and play the playlist for Bedtime music on the speaker I have named Jack’s room.  That is the piece that is apparently still in development.

Sonos has never stated that Spotify on SVC is in development or made any sort of promise that it will ever be supported.

The issue with using Google or Amazon is - you leave the privacy of the home network and open up to the Internet.  Now my kids (10 and 8) can ask the speaker to search any nonsense they want.  If the Sonos assistant works as advertised, they would only be able to search the services I have enabled (ie Spotify).

As I have stated in previous forums on this subject, the lack of this integration is stopping me from buy 2-3 additional Sonos speakers.  Sure, 2-3 are not a lot, but I would bet my use case is common to a lot of households world wide.

I was surprised when SVC was released and didn’t immediately support all services. I don’t know if there is a technical reason or some sort of legal hurdle between Sonos and the different streaming service.  Anyway, it may be worth trying out a different streaming service, particularly since Spotify seems to be falling behind in audio quality and formats.

Badge

Basicly sonos voice control is a PR launch to sell Amazon and Apple products...sonos quickly becoming rubbish on most paramters  now, guess that is why you can buy one g2 for 40$ if you move your cellphone subscription to select provider

Why is Spotify still not available on the Sonos voice assistant? I have to install Alexa just to play Spotify from it, which is less than ideal considering privacy concerns. Honestly, I only use my Roam for Spotify streaming and doubt I’m the only one. 

Spotify holds the #1 spot for music streaming. Allegedly over 200 million paid subscribers. I’m blown away Sonos hasn't tapped into that yet. 

Is there a partnership gone bad that is required or something? What’s going on here

Hi @thehide 

@melvimbe is not wrong - Sonos Voice Control does not currently support Spotify, nor has it ever. It does support media controls for anything already queued or playing, as mentioned, so this is the most likely explanation for what you experienced.

We are working on bringing support for more services to Sonos Voice Control, and Spotify is naturally a priority.

I hope this helps.

Why is Spotify still not available on the Sonos voice assistant? I have to install Alexa just to play Spotify from it, which is less than ideal considering privacy concerns. Honestly, I only use my Roam for Spotify streaming and doubt I’m the only one. 

Spotify holds the #1 spot for music streaming. Allegedly over 200 million paid subscribers. I’m blown away Sonos hasn't tapped into that yet. 

Is there a partnership gone bad that is required or something? What’s going on here

Hi @thehide 

I hope this helps.

I am 100% sure that Spotify was available in Sonos Voice Control sometime between 2023 April and now because I used that quite often. There was a command to add current song to a specific Spotify playlist, to play an artist/song on Spotify etc, all the Spotify commands were listed here https://www.sonos.com/en-us/guides/sonosvoicecontrol but now they are not there. So why did Sonos remove this feature?

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@xerzv

Don‘t know what kind of Spotify integration on SVC you were able to use. For me it wasn’t integrated at any time and also isn‘t on the list of supported standard services for SVC. 
Btw talking about any Sonos beta stuff is against the rules of this community. 😉 

I don’t recall that Spotify was ever part of Sonos Voice, as of yet. If a service wants to be removed, it would be the service that requests it, not something done randomly by Sonos. 

As suggested by @GuitarSuperstar ’s response from 11 months ago, it certainly wasn’t  at the time.