Answered

SVC Not showing up

Userlevel 1
Badge

The title pretty much says it: the app is at 14.8.1 and the system is updated, but when I go to Settings>Services&Voice>Add a voice assistant I don’t get the SVC. Still only get Alexa and Google. Anyone else?

--EA

icon

Best answer by Rob_32 5 June 2022, 13:15

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7

Which Sonos speaker are you trying to add SVC to?

I’m running into the same issue, I’m in the US.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Which Sonos speaker are you trying to add SVC to?

One and Arc, but that shouldn’t matter, in the end. The service itself does not appear in the prompt. --EA

@ea237,
Assuming it’s not an ArcSL, have you perhaps tried a reboot of the local network & devices. Also check you have the US set as your country in your Sonos online profile at the link shown below and double check to see if there are any firmware updates for your devices 

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/user/profile/

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Ken_Griffiths,

my system is up-to-date. I checked and my profile specifies US.  The only thing I haven’t tried is rebooting the system or the router. My router blackholes ad networks via dns black holes, sometimes some services are caught by that (CBS streams, are an example.) I wonder whether it might have something to do with it, but I can’t see why.

@ea237,
Assuming it’s not an ArcSL, have you perhaps tried a reboot of the local network & devices. Also check you have the US set as your country in your Sonos online profile at the link shown below and double check to see if there are any firmware updates for your devices 

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/user/profile/

@Ken_Griffiths,

my system is up-to-date. I checked and my profile specifies US.  The only thing I haven’t tried is rebooting the system or the router. My router blackholes ad networks via dns black holes, sometimes some services are caught by that (CBS streams, are an example.) I wonder whether it might have something to do with it, but I can’t see why.

It sounds like a possibility, perhaps try the cloudflare or Google DNS servers temporarily and see if that resolves it.

Userlevel 2

I had the same problem and I’m running PiHole DNS black hole. I disabled it for a minute and restarted the Somos app and the app immediately offered SVC. 

looking at logs, the issue seems to be that queries for a couple of urbanairship.com entries are blocked. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Rob_32 :

Thanks for the input, I’ll look into it. I’m running pfBlocker—same idea—so it might be it. I’ll report back.

--EA

Userlevel 1
Badge

I had the same problem and I’m running PiHole DNS black hole. I disabled it for a minute and restarted the Somos app and the app immediately offered SVC. 

looking at logs, the issue seems to be that queries for a couple of urbanairship.com entries are blocked. 

I use pfBlockerNG DNS black hole, and indeed it was the issue. I disabled it and I immediately got the prompt. 

Concerning the affected domains, I also found queries sent to urbanairship.com and app-measurement.com, but whitelisting those did not help. So some other domain must have been the reason. I haven’t been able to find which one, yet, though.

Userlevel 2

It seems the DNS blocks just impacts initial setup - SVC is working fine now without any whitelisting. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

It seems the DNS blocks just impacts initial setup - SVC is working fine now without any whitelisting. 

Yes, same here. I re-enabled the blocking and no issue.

My iOS ad blocker, 1Blocker, was doing the same thing! Thanks to the forum for pointing me in the right direction and boo to Sonos for making this functionality dependent on their spyware being able to phone home.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since the DNS block just impacts initial set up, maybe the blocked service is needed for authentication or such, rather than to be used as spware?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Since the DNS block just impacts initial set up, maybe the blocked service is needed for authentication or such, rather than to be used as spware?

@106rallye, this is very plausible.  It would be nice to know which one it is, though.