"works with sonos"

• 17 September 2018
  • 6 replies

My last topic had a strange title so i try again:

Hi

I know that this is very new, but does any one in here have experience with a setup using a receiver with "works with sonos"

I´m in the proces of buying a new receiver, and would like to get an idea of how the implementation is running.....are there any registered delays in sound, if you have the system set up with other units....is the app running smoothe with this "extension" and so on

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The experience probably differs a bit depending on the brand of receiver used. If Onkyo/Pioneer, this page is a good video about the setup and use.

https://www.onkyousa.com/sonos/

As for delays in sound, the Connect is still wired to the receiver through RCA cables, so there should be no change in delay of audio...it will be in sync with other sonos speakers and devices in your Sonos setup.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I was in the market for a new AV receiver and tried pretty much all of the ones that were on the market at the time and none of them managed to send anything other than 2.0 sound without there being a sync issue with the play:1 that I have in the same space.

I was just about to give up and revert to my old Sony AV receiver (wasn't 4k compliant) when the works with Sonos was announced so I thought I would give them. I went with the Pioneer VSX933 from Richer sounds, mainly because of availability, pretty much they all support 4k UHD and dolby Atmos and my room isn’t that big so didn't need one of the premium models.

Firstly let me say that the works with sonos is essentially a function to wake up the AV receiver based on a network control and that is it. It is pretty simple but it does save you scrabbling around looking for a receiver remote to turn it on.

It was really simple to setup and has worked without fault every time.

There is no sync issues when playing from the connect (if you have other zones in the same space) when attached by RCA (haven't tried optical) in stereo mode (which does have 2.1 output), there also doesn’t seem to be a delay when playing in other sound fields as well, but haven't really tested this as I tend to leave it in stereo mode only. There is a slight delay in the receiver turning on (maybe 1 second) so you can hear the sound from the sonos speakers for a moment before sound from the connect, but to my mind this isn't a big issue.

The only thing I can think of that it is missing is if you set the connect output to be fix, the app should be able turn up the volume on the receiver..

As to the receiver it's self I am really pleased with it, but I am no audiophile so can't really comment on how it sounds vs the other ones I tried.

Hope that helps
Hi

Thank you so much, just the feedback i have been searching for.

I kind of found out that it is just a wake up function, but my biggest concern was that the setup would result in delay/echo between the setup and other wireless zones.

So now it is just to find out which Onkyo/pioneer receiver i shall choose.

I just tried a friend's denon avr heos .....it is so confusing to setup, and the app is not very good...hope the Onkyo/pioneer is better
Badge
Hi @Duncan_16, did you have any trouble getting your Pioneer to find your SONOS Connect? I bought a VSX-LX103 but it won't detect my ZP80 (old version of the Connect). SONOS have confirmed that it should work and I'm reaching out to Pioneer support too, but I was just curious if there's any tricks to getting it to detect the SONOS when you are in the Hardware > "Works with SONOS" > Connect menu.
Allan-t,

I quite like this short YouTube video, as it shows a 'works with sonos' setup and perhaps 'typical' operation with compatible Receivers.

https://youtu.be/R0sNmnStb5A

It’s worth a look-see.

There is no sync issues when playing from the connect (if you have other zones in the same space) when attached by RCA (haven't tried optical) in stereo mode (which does have 2.1 output), there also doesn’t seem to be a delay when playing in other sound fields as well, but haven't really tested this as I tend to leave it in stereo mode only. There is a slight delay in the receiver turning on (maybe 1 second) so you can hear the sound from the sonos speakers for a moment before sound from the connect, but to my mind this isn't a big issue.

have you tried using 5.1 with the VXS933 while playing sonos speakers in the same room? its great that 2.1 syncs well, but can the DAC handle 5.1 and be in sync too? I am considering getting the VXS933 too and if you can offer any experience there, it would help make up my mind - I would like to use all of my current speakers as they set me back a fair amount. would be a waste otherwise.