Answered

Sonos One & Apple Home Kit/Siri: Puzzled

• 10 November 2018
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

So I bought a Sonos One for my kitchen in order to use Siri, Alexa and AirPlay 2. Initially I set everything up on my iPhone without a problem and have been using Siri comands to play my playlists etc. for several months.

THis evening, given my iPhone was upstairs (and being in a lazy mood) I decided just to use my iPad mini 4 to do the same as my iPhone however I simply couldn’t get this to work despite being able to see the Sonos One on the Home app. Even when stood next to the Sonos One and pressed the device I simply get the message “Unable to connect to the Kitchen”. I did a little comparison for the home app on the iPad to the one iPhone and noticed the wallpapers and devices weren’t syncing. Thinking this was the issue I deleted the “My Home” from my iPhone 6S and recreated it. I also took the chance to set up my Apple TV to show on airplay and voila the iPad, iPhone and Apple TV synced up again and I felt I was one connection away from an improved home system.

The final hurdle was to add the Sonos One back into the Home App but to it was no avail and I’m now stuck in tech hell with both devices saying “unable to connect to the kitchen”. There is no error code and I’ve tried a few options listed below but I’m fresh out of ideas. To be clear the iPad and iPhone can both see the Sonos One in Apple Home Kit but won’t connect.

So far I have tried

Rebooting the router
Restarting/powering down devices
Restarting the Sonos one
Changing the device name from Sonos to check the Home App is able to recognise it (this changes in Home app automatically)
Turning off the “group non airplay speakers”
Making sure the Sonos One is not grouped with other devices
Playing directly Fromm Airplay 2 (works fine)

It seems it’s an issue on Apples end but it’s so frustrating given I’ve had it working before and just wondered if anyone had any similarities issues or other solutions for this?

I have read about using different Apple ID’s causes a problem but I only have one iD and nobody else is on the network so there isn’t anything I can do to test that.

I guess morale of the story is to not be lazy and get the iPhone from upstairs.

Thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by trf688 12 November 2018, 21:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Ok so I’ve solved it by simply resetting my Sonos One to factory default and reinstalling it onto my system. This was done by unplugging the device, holding down the connect button and plugging it back in whilst still depressed. Hold until flashes orange/white and then reinstall as usual through Sonos app. Took about 3 minutes. It now appears on the Apple HomeKit App, AirPlay 2 and on Sonos meaning I can speak to Siri and Alexa or use Airplay flawlessly. Happy days 😃