Sonos on VLAN using Edge Router

• 30 November 2021
  • 6 replies

We have just recently revamped our home network, per below

Main-LAN (192.168.100.0/24): Main Windows computers where I have sonos app installed. My iphone also connect to this LAN

IOT (192.168.107.0/24): For all of our smart things: Locks, Lights, AppleTV and Sonos One

I have read a few thread about how to configure the firewall to allow Sonos to be discovered.

However, with the EdgeRouter 6P, I am quite new to the firewall rules but the basics

Could someone point me to the right direction?

Thank you very much

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge +17

Hi @jamesnb,

Unfortunately I don’t have any personal experience with the EdgeRouter 6P, but perhaps someone else on this community does and can chime in.

As a general rule though, all Sonos products and controllers must be on the same subnet to be able to communicate with each other. See our dedicated page on Sonos System Requirements for more information.

Hi James L,

Yes, I have gone through Sonos requirements and all. Still, I am not comfortable to connect the Sonos (or any IOT devices) to our main network as I have a work-related resources on our home network.

hi @jamesnb bear in mind that your Sonos should be on the same subnet as your device with the Sonos Controller (e.g. iPhone and/or Windows station); I would start with a simple setup without any VLANs and first build up experience with your new router

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I skipped all the VLAN issues and put my Sonos, my Music Library and my Sonos Controller hosts on their own physical LAN. Worked perfectly and no leaking issues due to messing up a complex VLAN setup.

You have six physical ports available on that EdgeRouter 6P, why not make use of more than two (Wan & Lan) of them?

I skipped all the VLAN issues and put my Sonos, my Music Library and my Sonos Controller hosts on their own physical LAN. Worked perfectly and no leaking issues due to messing up a complex VLAN setup.

You have six physical ports available on that EdgeRouter 6P, why not make use of more than two (Wan & Lan) of them?

That’s would be ideal solution however, for this setup, I would need to purchase a separated PC for just running Sonos controller app which is a waste in my opinion… If we can make this works, which it should like all other of my IOT stuff (locks, lights, blinds, Nest, etc...), it would make use better resouces… Just in my opinion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

All I can suggest then is looking back at past posts on folks trying the same thing and seeing if you can get your gear set up to do what you want.

I don’t run the Sonos controller on a PC or Mac, aside from not having one running, I find the limited functions available are frustrating. I do everything but TruePlay using Android and having my tablets and Sonos share a dedicated AP on their own LAN was an easy choice.

Good luck and if you do find out how to do it please post back here so other folks can follow your guidelines.