Answered

Sonos Move in Blue Tooth Mode, group speaker source?

Badge

Hi all

Im desperately trying to figure out how to get my samsung android phone & tablet non music (eg netflix, prime, you tube, itv etc) played through the 2x sonos ones g2 i just bought.  Trying to crack this before investing anymore in sonos systems. 

The sonos move is the only sonos with blue tooth which gave me an idea....

Couple of questions:

1) firstly I'm assuming in blue tooth mode the move will connect to my android (samsung) tablet like a standard blue tooth speaker, and play non music like i want? 

2) if the answer to the above is yes. Then in bluetooth mode can the move connect to my future sonos speakers (two ones g2, a sub, and a soundbar) which obviously aren't blue tooth? Could the move be the audio source (via bluetooth) to play (push audio) across multiple rooms / speaker groups? 

Ps, any other ideas very welcome. 

Thanks in advance

Suzie 

icon

Best answer by John B 22 May 2020, 15:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Hi, me again….

I’m sorry but the Move in BT mode is just a dumb BT speaker so you can’t use it as a means to BT to other speakers.  

One other idea; buy a Play:5 gen 2 (refurbished ones available on Sonos website), and connect a BT receiver to the line-in.  There would be a 70ms lag on the audio compared with video which seems to bother some people but be unnoticeable to others.  The line in source can be played anywhere on your system, not just the P:5. (You can even play something different on the P:5 while the BT receiver is feeding the Ones)

Edit: a cheaper option would be to pick up a used ‘modern’ Connect and use the line-in on that, but you don’t get a speaker out of that.

Badge

Hi John

Thanks for trying to help. Really appreciate your time. Id thought that might be the case, didn't want to make another faux pas without checking 🙂.

Not sure im understanding the BT receiver thing. Think I'm being a bit dumb. How does that link my tablet to the P5 wirelessly? If I'm selecting an audio source on my tablet what am i looking for, and what kit do i need? I'm on sky wifi dunno if that makes a difference. 

Had also thought maybe get a chromcast audio (£10 refurbished off ebay) to plug into the out socket on P:5. Is that a similar idea? Will research p5 costs 👍

When i cast the tablet to my Google home speaker now there's a bit of a lag. Not too fussed tbh. I like watching you tube tutorials on stuff and tbh i only glance at the tablet screen every now and again. Or maybe the odd netflix movie in the bath.

I don't even know if I'll need this function very often tbh but just want to know i 'can' before sinking a few grand into it. Might sound daft i know lol. 

Oh how i wish android had an airplay equivalent. Do you think that might eventually come? Id change my phone to apple, its due an upgrade - but only bought my samsung tablet a years ago and it was about £600. 

I'm still researching the samsung smart things approach too...apparantly that links to sonos quite well to bring to life dog barking alarms and shizzle. Still don't think the sonos will appear as an audio option for my you tube etc though 🤷🏽‍♀️

Thanks

Suzie. 

Hi John

Thanks for trying to help. Really appreciate your time. Id thought that might be the case, didn't want to make another faux pas without checking 🙂.

Not sure im understanding the BT receiver thing. Think I'm being a bit dumb. How does that link my tablet to the P5 wirelessly? If I'm selecting an audio source on my tablet what am i looking for, and what kit do i need? I'm on sky wifi dunno if that makes a difference. 

The BT receiver thing essentially will look like a BT speaker to your tablet, so the tablet sends audio to the the thing.  The thing in turn converts the audio to an analog signal you can connect to the input of a play:5.

Had also thought maybe get a chromcast audio (£10 refurbished off ebay) to plug into the out socket on P:5. Is that a similar idea? Will research p5 costs 👍

Yes, except it’s an in socket on the P:5, not out.

When i cast the tablet to my Google home speaker now there's a bit of a lag. Not too fussed tbh. I like watching you tube tutorials on stuff and tbh i only glance at the tablet screen every now and again. Or maybe the odd netflix movie in the bath.

I don't even know if I'll need this function very often tbh but just want to know i 'can' before sinking a few grand into it. Might sound daft i know lol. 

Oh how i wish android had an airplay equivalent. Do you think that might eventually come? Id change my phone to apple, its due an upgrade - but only bought my samsung tablet a years ago and it was about £600. 

I'm still researching the samsung smart things approach too...apparantly that links to sonos quite well to bring to life dog barking alarms and shizzle. Still don't think the sonos will appear as an audio option for my you tube etc though 🤷🏽‍♀️

Thanks

Suzie. 

The best way to get audio from youtube, netflix, etc is through a TV connected with a Sonos Beam, playbar, etc.  Personally, I don’t quite get why people want to watch videos on a tiny screen, but have Sonos do the audio, but to each their own I guess.   For the rare occasions where I do want to watch on a small screen, I either live with the tablet/phone speakers or use headphones.

Hi John

:grinning:

Wifi isn’t relevant here - BT just sends direct from the device to a wireless receiver.  The Move has a built-in BT receiver.  But if you buy a standalone receiver you can transmit to that - sound passes by cable to the P:5 line in

I assume so, although would have to be the line in on P:5.  

Not something I know much about I’m afraid

I’ll see if I can provide a couple of links to BT receivers

This will give you an idea of the sort of thing you might need.

https://gadgetviper.com/best-bluetooth-audio-receiver-2018/

You need to make sure that the receiver and your tablet have at least one BT ‘codec’ (i.e. format) that they can both handle.  The best sound and lowest latency is said to be achieved by using the aptX codec, but check what formats your tablet can transmit on.

Badge

Thanks John and Danny

Think the bt receiver and chromcast audio are similar ideas then. In socket not out, of course - you're right. 

Yeah if someone can send me a link to a bt receiver that would be awesome, I've never heard of it. 

Totally get your comments about watching netflix on big screen. I don't have a tv in my bathroom, kitchen or spare room where i get ready so to pop a sonos in here and be able to stream from my tablet would be great. 

Thanks again

Suzie

Thanks John and Danny

Think the bt receiver and chromcast audio are similar ideas then. In socket not out, of course - you're right. 

Yeah if someone can send me a link to a bt receiver that would be awesome, I've never heard of it. 

Totally get your comments about watching netflix on big screen. I don't have a tv in my bathroom, kitchen or spare room where i get ready so to pop a sonos in here and be able to stream from my tablet would be great. 

Thanks again

Suzie

Please see my post for a link - just to illustrate the sort of thing, not to recommend.

Bear in mind that you cannot be too far from the BT receiver for it to work well, although recent codecs like aptX are much better than the older ones.

This is why Sonos has always deliberately rejected BT until the Move (likewise the original Airplay).  Both streamed from the device direct to the target without using Wifi, didn’t do multiroom, and were basically unreliable. 

The way Sonos works is that the app is just a controller.  It doesn’t play anything.  It instructs the speaker to go fetch the selected source and play it.  Once you start a stream from any source other than the device itself, you could smash the controller device with a hammer and flush it down the toilet, and the music would continue to play.

Badge

Just had to chuckle. I realise now by BT receiver you mean bluetooth receiver and not British Telecom. Honestly what a doosch bag haha. 

Ok understand. I need any brand of blue tooth receiver which receives audio codec aptx HD, aptx, LDAC, AAC, or SBC (whoo hoo check me out... googled it for my galaxy tab s4 lol).

So maybe target the aptx HD if you said that was the best 👍

Am i on the right track here? 

Suddenly feeling very needy, apologies. 

Suzie

Sorry - I was confused by the BT abbreviation at first so i should know better!  But it sounds like you’ve turned into a total geek now.  Welcome to the club.  I don’t know if aptX HD might be more than you need, but I don’t actually use BT (Bluetooth or British Telecom) so I’m no expert.  You’ll have to see how much it would cost vs standard aptX.  

Badge

Haha.. before long I'll be sporting an anorak and sonos t-shirt. 

But honestly you've really given me something to work towards thank you 🙏.  Wanted a speaker for the bedroom anyway so the play 5 is a good shout there. Is there much difference between the generations do you know? There's a new one due out soon? 🤔

Then i think I'll get a super cheap BT receiver with the non HD (noted nothing to do with british telecom lol) just to check it all works. Might give the chromcast audio a bash too @ only a tenner.

👍👍👌😊

Sounds good.  Definitely don’t get a used gen1, but there doesn’t seem to be a huge difference between gen 2 and gen 3 - although i haven’t studied the gen 3 in any detail.  I have 4 gen 2 Play;5s and love them.  I would wait for the gen 3 if i couldn’t get a decent discount on the gen 2, but at £350 I would think the gen 2 a good buy.  Has to be your call in the end.  i’d be interested to hear how it all goes.

Badge

Thanks John great advice.... I'll take that thank you.  Wish me luck, will let you know 👍 xx 

Thanks John great advice.... I'll take that thank you.  Wish me luck, will let you know 👍 xx 

Thanks, please do. Just to correct my own terminology, there is no Play:5 gen 3, it is the Sonos Five.

Badge

Thanks John. Got it, cheapest 5 g2 seems to be £400 and the new 5 £500 so think will save up for the new one. Always like investing in latest models. I fancy the new sub too so will have to make a tough choice lol. 

FYI thanks to you your suggestion on the tablet thing ive decided to keep my sonos ones. Just unboxed my second one. Oh wowee the room has come alive. Two makes a big difference over one 😁. Now where's that sub 🤔😂👍 lol. 

Have a great weekend x