Sonos, Home Kit and Home Pod Mini Clarification

Userlevel 2
Badge

So I have read a lot.  I just recently got screwed with Insteon so I am looking at changing everything (yes expensive).  This will be getting leak sensors and also switching to Lutron Casseta and switch to home kit and get a HomePod mini

Where it gets a bit muddy i have all older sonos products including the play one with Alexa.  I could just keep my music separate with the use of Alexa, spotify and  make my home automation on HomeKit.  

This is still not ideal as I would like to be able to use one interface if I can.  

Can I use my sonos with Alexa and still use my old speakers and have it work with HomeKit and HomePod mini?

I have read various things where you can do it through airplay, if I was to get one of the new Sonos speakers but this is yet another rather large purchase.

Can I add all my old sonos speaker into HomeKit and then ask siri to play music for example or just go into spotify and chose my music and have it play on my old speakers while still being able to ask Siri to turn the volume down, skip ect….

Sorry if this has been asked before but I am a bit confused

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

As you have a Sonos One with Alexa you can ‘Airplay’ to that speaker as it is compatible and use the Sonos App to group that Airplaying speaker with any other older (non-compatible) Sonos speakers.

See this support link for compatible Airplay Sonos products that can be registered as an ‘accessory’ in HomeKit:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230

Userlevel 2
Badge

I only have sonos with airplay1

Can I get all my sonos speakers working together 

I only have sonos with airplay1

Can I get all my sonos speakers working together 

If you first ‘group’ the Sonos speakers that you wish to use for audio playback and include a Sonos One, or other Sonos Airplay ‘compatible; speaker as mentioned/listed in the below support link, then simply Airplay to that one (compatible) speaker, it will play the Airplay audio to the entire group.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230

Ensure you choose to enable ‘Group Non-Airplay Products’ in the Sonos App. (‘Settings/System/Airplay’). See the attached image.

Note that Sonos doesn’t work with  ‘AirPlay’ or ‘AirPlay 1’, but only AirPlay 2, and on specific Sonos speakers that have the antenna to receive that signal built in. 

There aren’t that many AirPlay 1 only devices out there.