Answered

Sonos and Apple Homekit

• 7 October 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi Sonos Community,

I have trouble using Siri on my phone to with Sonos Beam. In a few videos I've seen that you can tell Siri, "play music in 'Name of Beam'. " However, Siri responds, "Sorry can't find that speaker". I am using the only name listed in the Sonos App, AirPlay2, and Homekit. They each have the same name.

Can someone tell me what I could do to make this feature work?

Luis
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 10 October 2018, 03:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, quipmaster. Thanks for the post and welcome to the Community. Are you able to AirPlay to the Beam or is the speaker not appearing at all on the iPhone? Check out this FAQ on using AirPlay on Sonos for more information.
Quipmaster,

Have you registered your Speaker in HomeKit as an 'Accessory'?...

1. Open the Home app
2. Tap + icon in the top right corner
3. Tap Add Accessory
4. Choose Don’t Have a Code or Can’t Scan
5. Tap the Sonos speaker you’d like to add

Moderator note: Whilst this was not the resolution to the topic starter's issue, it has been marked as the Best Answer as it was deemed the most helpful response to a wider audience.
Hi Keith,

Thank you for your reply. My apology for the extremely delayed response.

I am able to use AirPlay 2. However, whenever I say “Siri, play a song on Kitchen”. Siri replies, “sorry there is no speaker by that name”.

Hi Ken,

I’ve followed those steps. The speakers show up on the HomeKit app. But Siri can’t find the speaker. I have to manually select the speakers by swiping up on the home screen.

I’ll call probably both sonos customer or Apple Support.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Luis
Luis,

Do your speakers show as 'accessories' in your HomeKit Home? Have you put them into rooms etc... they look like this when setup in the App (see screenshot example), which shows 3 Sonos devices circled in red. All these have names, example “Hallway”, “Bedroom” etc. and should work with Apple Music... so as an example, I can say “Hey Siri, play some music on Bedroom” and Siri will play a random playlist on the Sonos Bedroom speaker accessory...the second screenshot was taken from my iPad and shows the music playing from my Apple Music library.

Hope that helps to get you up and running.
Hi Ken,

Thank you for your reply. It was user error on my part.

I can use Siri to request music in my rooms.

My speakers are still all in black in the HomeKit app unlike the picture you shared. Either way, I’m glad the integration works.

This is great. I appreciate your help.

Luis
Hi Ken,

Thank you for your reply. It was user error on my part.

I can use Siri to request music in my rooms.

My speakers are still all in black in the HomeKit app unlike the picture you shared. Either way, I’m glad the integration works.

This is great. I appreciate your help.

Luis

Glad you managed to sort it.