Setting up Siri with Sonos - option is missing

• 30 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I'm trying to setup Siri for my Sonos system.

I found the instructions on the Sonos site, so went into the Home app on my iPhone and went to add an accessory.  However, I can't find an option to add without scanning the product code.

Well, I did somehow find the option once.  It displayed a list containing my Sonos speakers.  I selected one of them and it told me I needed a HomePod, which I don't have.

I wasn't totally certain I'd picked the right thing, but now I can't find the option anywhere.

I'm using iOS 16.2, and to make things more exciting I have VoiceOver enabled.

Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Which specific Sonos devices do you have? Are they all AirPlay-enabled Sonos devices?

To add an accessory in the iOS Home(Kit) App, on the Home Screen select the + icon top right of screen and select ‘Add Accessory’ and then select the ‘more options’ link in the text on the display screen… The App will then scan for Airplay compatible speakers like Move, Sonos One, Beam etc

Be aware of this issue:

https://9to5mac.com/2022/12/23/apple-pulls-new-home-app-architecture-in-ios-16-2-as-users-complain-about-homekit-issues/

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@Ken_Griffiths link - thanks very much for clarifying.  It looks like it might be a VoiceOver issue in the Home app in that case.  I’ll see if I can find a way to brute force it or pester Apple accessibility if not.

Do you know if I need a HomePod or is just an iPhone good enough?

(For ref, I have a couple of Roams, some One gen 2s and a couple of One gen 1s)

@Ken_Griffiths link - thanks very much for clarifying.  It looks like it might be a VoiceOver issue in the Home app in that case.  I’ll see if I can find a way to brute force it or pester Apple accessibility if not.

Do you know if I need a HomePod or is just an iPhone good enough?

(For ref, I have a couple of Roams, some One gen 2s and a couple of One gen 1s)

IPhone is fine, perhaps just set it to use Siri when the Home Screen is locked and you just need an Apple Music to play music to the Sonos speakers. Example: ‘Hey Siri, play some music on Kitchen’ (…where ‘Kitchen’ is the name of the Sonos device in HomeKit).

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks again for the reply.  I found someone with working eyes to try it without VoiceOver.  The “more options” bit is a link that then brings up the list of devices.  When she tapped one of my Sonos speakers it had a think then asked for a Room name and it was added in fine.

It doesn’t seem to work very well.  Playing something using Spotify Connect, it tells me nothing is playing.  If I try to pause I’m told it can’t find the room, or it or it tells me to wait and then fails.  I think maybe it worked once but not sure.  I tried on my Watch and was told it couldn’t do it there.

I’ll have a play with it some more when I have more time, but at least I’ve got it added now - thank you.

I’ve emailed Apple accessibility and reported it as a VoiceOver bug.

I’m not sure which of the buttons marks a question as the solution.  Unfortunately they are all spoken as “Comma” by VoiceOver.  I would email Sonos accessibility, but I don’t think anyone monitors that email address.

Spotify ‘connect’ doesn’t need the use of HomeKit - neither does Airplay audio either. It is only useful as far as Siri is concerned and that voice assistant currently only uses Apple Music.

If you’re having trouble with Spotify ‘connect’, then I would try rebooting both the router and speaker. Sorry I can’t assist you with the voice-over issues, but hope they get sorted for you too. 

Happy New Year too by the way.👍