HomePod and a future Play:5

• 13 February 2019
  • 3 replies

Hey folks. I have two HomePods and am looking to get a vinyl turntable soon. Of course there are no line ins on these speakers but I do like the sound quality. My question is, if I were to get a Play:5 and use the line in with the turntable, could I then stream this to the HomePods or just to other sonos speakers? I figure that any signal being pushed out via airplay 2 needs to be coming from an Apple device, most logically a HomePod. This wouldn’t be an issue if the HomePods showed in the sonos app for me to route the line in signal to, but from what I understand these HomePods don’t show in the app.

Further from this, does anyone have a multiroom vinyl solution that doesn’t involve a Mac or iOS device taking in a line in signal and pushing this out with airplay?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

if I were to get a Play:5 and use the line in with the turntable, could I then stream this to the HomePods or just to other sonos speakers?
Just to other Sonos speakers.

Further from this, does anyone have a multiroom vinyl solution that doesn’t involve a Mac or iOS device taking in a line in signal and pushing this out with airplay?Well, Sonos. So I wonder if you mean something different from what I think you mean with this question.
Sonos is of course my primary option hence my being here. But without the ability to cast to a HomePod the sonosnwoupd be replacing a HomePod and not joining it, which I would have liked to avoid

Thanks for confirming the prior
Sonos is of course my primary option hence my being here. But without the ability to cast to a HomePod the sonosnwoupd be replacing a HomePod and not joining it, which I would have liked to avoid

Thanks for confirming the prior

I think your best option would be to look for an Apple solution that can take input from your turntable and cast it with airplay. I don't know that their is such a device, but Apple products are currently the only thing then can cast, or initiate an airplay signal, and given Apple's hsitory, that doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon.