Brand new S2 App but still no Apple Watch implementation :(

• 8 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Had my fingers crossed that with the new features and usability updates promised with the new Sonos S2 app that one of those features would finally be an Apple Watch controller. With our outdoor speakers, having the ability to control at least the most basic of functions such as volume, play, pause and skip are at the very top of my list. I can wear my watch in a pool or hot tub but not my phone.

Now that S2 has finally arrived, and the only new “feature” I see is Groups, I’m rather disappointed. I am still hopeful, however, that Sonos hears this plea a native Apple Watch app in the near future. Previously I was able to use an “okay” 3rd party app for control on the Apple Watch but now, with S2, I don’t even have that option presently.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I don't remember Sonos promising an Apple implementation for S2.  Did I miss something? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I don't remember Sonos promising an Apple implementation for S2.  Did I miss something? 

First four words of my post… “Had my fingers crossed...”. I hoped this would be in their product software roadmap. Maybe it still is as I just read the following quote from Sonos on What HiFi "Coming soon, we’ll add further enhancements that will allow an ever more connected and personal experiences on Sonos".

@macmanjpc, there’s a third-party app perhaps worth trying.

https://lyd-for-sonos.app/

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@macmanjpc, there’s a third-party app perhaps worth trying.

https://lyd-for-sonos.app/

I have Lyd. It does not work with S2. New platform so I suspect none of the third party apps will work with S2 right now. Hopefully Lyd will offer an update like Lyd2 or something that will work with S2 and leave the existing Lyd to work with S1.

I'm using Lyd on Apple Watch happily with S2. It worked from day one because apparently Sonos changed the relevant APIs last year to prep for this update. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I'm using Lyd on Apple Watch happily with S2. It worked from day one because apparently Sonos changed the relevant APIs last year to prep for this update. 

I forgot to update my post with some relevant information I received a couple weeks ago and I apologize. I contacted the developer of the Lyd app and was informed that they are actually developing a new version 2 of the Lyd software but in the meantime v1 has been updated to work with S2. In some cases, as it was with me, the Lyd app needs to be restarted, log off and back in and re-synced with your Sonos account. Once I did that it worked again :)