Answered

Any plans for native Sonos and Philips Hue in 2021?

• 29 November 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I’ve seen a few older topic’s saying Sonos is currently not doing anything. But perhaps over time things do change. I was curious if there are any plans that somebody from Sonos or in the community knows of to have native integration between Sonos and Philips Hue lights?

I currently see there are third party apps who offer it, but am a bit hesitant to allow third party apps access to something like this. With Philips Hue and Sonos popularity it would be great if both could do something like this. And make me feel more at ease if it came from the actual producers of the hardware then a third party.

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 2 December 2020, 20:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Asgorath, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community for sharing this with us. Yes, there are third-party apps currently working with Sonos like the AppleHomekit. However, integration between Sonos and Philips Hue lights is not yet available. We can certainly pass along your interest to the team. If you have any questions or need help with your Sonos, please feel free to reach us back.

What are you looking to accomplish with the Sonos/Hue integration? Are you hoping to turn on lights with the Sonos app, or start music with your Hue app? (is there one?  Don’t have Hue)  Are you hoping to set up routines and schedules to turn on/off music and lights at the same time?  Are you wanting lights to react to Sonos music?

Just a general commentary on using a 3rd party hub, you’re going to troubles with control if you’re wanting your different lighting, music, and everything else to talk directly to each other, rather than through a central hub.  As well, the devices are often communicating through an cloud server away from your home, even though all the devices are in your home.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @Asgorath, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community for sharing this with us. Yes, there are third-party apps currently working with Sonos like the AppleHomekit. However, integration between Sonos and Philips Hue lights is not yet available. We can certainly pass along your interest to the team. If you have any questions or need help with your Sonos, please feel free to reach us back.

Thank you for getting back. If you could pass it along. I am sure the group of Sonos AND Hue users may not be the biggest, but also would not be surprised if there is a specific overlap there in interests.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

What are you looking to accomplish with the Sonos/Hue integration? Are you hoping to turn on lights with the Sonos app, or start music with your Hue app? (is there one?  Don’t have Hue)  Are you hoping to set up routines and schedules to turn on/off music and lights at the same time?  Are you wanting lights to react to Sonos music?

Just a general commentary on using a 3rd party hub, you’re going to troubles with control if you’re wanting your different lighting, music, and everything else to talk directly to each other, rather than through a central hub.  As well, the devices are often communicating through an cloud server away from your home, even though all the devices are in your home.

Valid questions. No not looking to talk to my lamps :smile: Control is not an issue here. Sonos with Google Assistant build in allows me to control both through Google Assistant. And through Home Assistant I can also write routines that would combine things like lamps going on when music is turned on.

What Philips Hue offers is that their lamps can differ based on media. Their more expensive lamps can do something like x million colors. This means they can shift colors to fit video media (more useful), but also music. At the moment it’s limited to either 1) media being played on your computer when you install some software. It actually listens to your microphone to determine how to shift the colors I believe. And 2) buying a HDMI box you put inbetween your mediaboxes and your tv. Which reads the input signal. Meaning native tv and native apps (like on smart TVs) it cannot read.

Both options do indicate that if their software gets the signal it can create a ‘light show’ or ‘disco mode’ or whatever one may call it. So if there was a service on Sonos it could do the same.

There are 3rd party apps who claim to be able to do it using Spotify or even Sonos to ‘listen in’ and create these effects as well. I’m just not keen on lettering software x developed by random company or guy Y access to things such as my Microphone or home automation network.. (I’d rather just have google steal my data, at least there I know their doing it in a very proffesional way :p)

Is it really useful? Of course not. But it can be a fun experience if you play music that the lamps in your house change color based on the music played.

And given that Sonos and Philips Hue are both tailoring to a slightly more high end market (Those lamps ain’t cheap) them cooperating may be logical.

ps. When it comes to home automation I try and avoid the cloud (Home Assistant server), but yeah a lot of them do use that. Both Sonos and Hue have their own clouds, Google Assistant as well. And allowing a link between Home Assistant and Google Assistant is also easiest with another cloud service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I command my Hue lights via Google Assistant on Sonos. Works quite well!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I command my Hue lights via Google Assistant on Sonos. Works quite well!

Same here, I’m should have specified. It’s that the lights change colors based on the music :p