Answered

airplay stopped working

• 18 December 2022
  • 25 replies

hi,

after update apple home to a new architecture (in ios16.2 or tvos) airplay on my beam stopped working, i tried to restart beam, iphone, apple tv and nothing, i tried it on my iphone, wifes iphone, imac and it is not working,

do you know how to fix it pls?

thanks

tomas

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 December 2022, 10:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @tomas20 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I recommend you reboot your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds.

It may also help to reboot your devices again after rebooting the router, but check first.

I hope this helps.

didnt work..

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @tomas20 

Sorry to hear that - it was definitely worth trying though.

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

The same problem about airplay also came to me. I just bought a new iPhone 14 pro with iOS 16.2 yesterday. All the Sonos devices, Play 5, Sonos one, Beam and a pair of ikea shelf model can be found clearly in the airplay list but cannot be connected. Accordingly all the Sonos devices cannot be used in Home app. But every device works perfect with Sonos App. I’ve called the support service twice. There has been no workable solution yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @tomas20 & @AJ Lee 

This may go some way to explain:

https://9to5mac.com/2022/12/21/apple-pulls-new-home-app-architecture-in-ios-16-2-as-users-complain-about-homekit-issues/

Although we rarely recommend factory resetting Sonos devices, in this case we have received reports from users that it will help - as long as you don’t then add the unit to (new) HomeKit afterwards.

I hope this helps.

Hi, 

thanks, factory reset helped!

btw. https://www.idownloadblog.com/2022/12/23/iphone-home-app-issues-ios-16-2-upgrade-option-removed/

Hi @tomas20 & @AJ Lee 

This may go some way to explain:

https://9to5mac.com/2022/12/21/apple-pulls-new-home-app-architecture-in-ios-16-2-as-users-complain-about-homekit-issues/

Although we rarely recommend factory resetting Sonos devices, in this case we have received reports from users that it will help - as long as you don’t then add the unit to (new) HomeKit afterwards.

I hope this helps.

Will this be fixed later with an update or do I have to perform a factory reset if I want to fix this problem?

Will this be fixed later with an update or do I have to perform a factory reset if I want to fix this problem?

Apple have pulled their Home App update for now, after users reported problems with it and it’s assumed by some users that Apple will go onto resolve the issues and release an update at some point, but there’s no saying when that will be.

Meanwhile Sonos users say that things are fixed with a factory reset. I would personally consider trying the reset, but that’s if it’s not your ‘one and only’ Sonos speaker. If you have other Sonos speakers it seems sensible to reset the device and to add it back to the existing Sonos system.

Apple have pulled their Home App update for now, after users reported problems with it and it’s assumed by some users that Apple will go onto resolve the issues and release an update at some point, but there’s no saying when that will be.

Meanwhile Sonos users say that things are fixed with a factory reset. I would personally consider trying the reset, but that’s if it’s not your ‘one and only’ Sonos speaker. If you have other Sonos speakers it seems sensible to reset the device and to add it back to the existing Sonos system.

Unfortunately it’s not my only Sonos so I think it’s worth waiting for a fix from Apple before I do any drastic steps. Thanks for your reply, Ken

Unfortunately it’s not my only Sonos so I think it’s worth waiting for a fix from Apple before I do any drastic steps. Thanks for your reply, Ken

Did you mean it IS your only speaker? if you do have other speakers then it is fine to factory reset it as you will not lose your Sonos system, favourites, music services etc. which are retained on your other speakers. If the device was your only speaker in your system, then resetting that, would cause you to lose the entire system. Hope that helps to clear up any ambiguity?

Did you mean it IS your only speaker? if you do have other speakers then it is fine to factory reset it as you will not lose your Sonos system, favourites, music services etc. which are retained on your other speakers. If the device was your only speaker in your system, then resetting that, would cause you to lose the entire system. Hope that helps to clear up any ambiguity?

Ah. I did misread that. I have a couple of Sonos speaker and in fact I’m talking about my Arc and it took me a while to have it set up right with the surround speakers (because of the placement of the speakers, not because Sonos made it hard to setup) so I still want to wait for the homekit update.

Thanks for clearing that up

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So I have multiple Sonos speakers and was hit with this. Fortunate to have a Move too that was not affected. I just factory reset one by one the units affected (I waited a few hours after the first one just to be sure). No loss of setup or anything, can Airplay just fine. I did NOT readd them to homekit. Funny thing is, I also didn’t remove them from homekit and they seem to be functioning just fine like before. 

Only word of advice is to make sure you copy down your EQ settings (and crossover if you have an Amp) as they will get reset. 

So if you have multiple units you should be fine. Just don’t do it all at once so once a unit is reset, it can pull your system settings from the other units. 

So I have multiple Sonos speakers and was hit with this. Fortunate to have a Move too that was not affected. I just factory reset one by one the units affected (I waited a few hours after the first one just to be sure). No loss of setup or anything, can Airplay just fine. I did NOT readd them to homekit. Funny thing is, I also didn’t remove them from homekit and they seem to be functioning just fine like before. 

Only word of advice is to make sure you copy down your EQ settings (and crossover if you have an Amp) as they will get reset. 

So if you have multiple units you should be fine. Just don’t do it all at once so once a unit is reset, it can pull your system settings from the other units. 

Factory resetting is useless.  It does nothing a reboot will not do, and it erases important diagnostics information.  See this link:

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ok. Someone from Sonos told me to try a factory reset…

Ok. Someone from Sonos told me to try a factory reset…

Also if you look at the the answer to this thread from Corry P - it’s also suggested there too, but then don’t go and add the device back to the upgraded Home(Kit) App until Apple have resolved the issue. Note the upgrade has been withdrawn (temporarily) at the moment. By all accounts the factory reset does resolve the issue according to those that chose to take that action.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yeah Corry P gave me the same reply in another thread. I can Airplay again which was the goal. It does not fully resolve the issue but Airplay for me is more important than homekit integration (which is minimal). 

Factory reset is not working for me with the new architecture. My Libratone Zipp is working fine. Sonos, can you give us an update please?!?!?

I think it’s Apple who needs to give you an update, since they’re the ones that broke things. 

Factory reset is not working for me with the new architecture. My Libratone Zipp is working fine. Sonos, can you give us an update please?!?!?

If the factory reset procedure isn’t working for your device, you may actually have a different issue. You maybe best to contact the Support Staff via this LINK

This is still an ongoing issue. I have tried factory resetting more than once and AirPlay2 still does not work. Everything was working fine until Apple pushed one of their iOS 16… updates and then it broke. When I upgraded to AirPlay2 I thought that would fix the issue, but it remains. Has anyone found a solid work-around for this yet? Super annoying. Using the Sonos app to play my Apple Music is not an ideal user experience, as its clunky and slow. Thoughts?

This is still an ongoing issue. I have tried factory resetting more than once and AirPlay2 still does not work. Everything was working fine until Apple pushed one of their iOS 16… updates and then it broke. When I upgraded to AirPlay2 I thought that would fix the issue, but it remains. Has anyone found a solid work-around for this yet? Super annoying. Using the Sonos app to play my Apple Music is not an ideal user experience, as its clunky and slow. Thoughts?

Yes, it appears Apple broke things with the HomeKit update - that’s why it has been withdrawn I guess.

Only fix I’ve seen mentioned is to factory reset the device affected. I just did mine one at a time and ensured it worked, then did the next one, checked that was working …and so on and so forth. 

Factory reset only fixes the issue for a few hours. After that, AirPlay is useless.

Factory reset only fixes the issue for a few hours. After that, AirPlay is useless.

Did you remove the device from HomeKit before reset and ensure it was not added back to that iOS App?

The same problem about airplay also came to me. I just bought a new iPhone 14 pro with iOS 16.2 yesterday. All the Sonos devices, Play 5, Sonos one, Beam and a pair of ikea shelf model can be found clearly in the airplay list but cannot be connected. Accordingly all the Sonos devices cannot be used in Home app. But every device works perfect with Sonos App. I’ve called the support service twice. There has been no workable solution yet.

Exact same issue here… desperate for a solution

Exact same issue here… desperate for a solution

There appears to be a solution posted, just follow the advice in Corry P’s answer to the OP’s post at the start of this thread. The Sonos devices here are continuing to Airplay fine since their reset, which was done a few weeks back.