Airplay Password

• 17 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor III
  • 11 replies

All of my Sonos speakers recently starting asking for an Airplay password even though I have the password requirement disabled in Apple’s home app. I have not been able to figure out how to disable the password prompt and can no longer use Airplay.

Anyone know how to fix?

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @rubeo 

This may not be the case but it sounds like your iPhone is part of a corporate environment. If so click the link to resolve the issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @rubeo 

This may not be the case but it sounds like your iPhone is part of a corporate environment. If so click the link to resolve the issue.

Thanks, but this doesn’t apply to any iPhones in my household. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Then maybe it’s the other possibility: a bug or glitch in the configuration storage, which apparently can be chased away by hard-resetting the offending speaker(s) and re-adding it (them) to your system.  Resetting is often the last resort and always discouraged -- but you will see, if you click on many of the “Related Topics” to the right of your initial posting, that they all seem to boil down to those two possibilities in the end.  Check them out...

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Then maybe it’s the other possibility: a bug or glitch in the configuration storage, which apparently can be chased away by hard-resetting the offending speaker(s) and re-adding it (them) to your system.  Resetting is often the last resort and always discouraged -- but you will see, if you click on many of the “Related Topics” to the right of your initial posting, that they all seem to boil down to those two possibilities in the end.  Check them out...

Does this mean losing all of my true play settings across five of my rooms? If so, that is ridiculous - especially since Sonos doesn’t allow you to back up current settings.

Userlevel 7

@rubeo 

I replied to your post a few days ago. Afterward I decided to check my Sonos for the issue with AirPlay2. Guess what...some rooms were experiencing the same issue...Airplay2 asking for a password/code.

In my case it was my two Roams and Sonos Amp with Sonos Sub used to power stereo speakers. All other rooms were OK. My fix was to (as suggested by @tracker ) reset those speakers. As the Amp was configured it does not allow Trueplay so no loss there. The Roams will auto-TruePlay so no worries there either. Any other room would require TruePlay after a reset.

I would not blame Sonos as AirPlay2 is not a Sonos developed feature. It’s licensed from Apple. As the software on your iOS device is also by Apple; therein lies where the blame should be directed. iOS software updates may affect certain Sonos speakers/components differently; as in my case. My Beam, ARC’s, Moves and Fives were not affected (i.e. requiring a password to initiate AirPlay2). However, oddly the Sonos Amp used to power speakers for a turntable was not affected:thinking: .  So some anomalies do exist for whatever reason.

Botton-line...we’re dealing with electronics that use sophisticated coding to work developed independently by Sonos and Apple. Ninety-nine percent (99%) of the time Sonos and Apple play well together; unlike TV manufacturers and their implementations of HDMI-CEC coding :persevere: .

I hope you are able to resolve the password issue to allow a seamless AirPlay2 implemetation with Sonos.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

The only thing I’m blaming Sonos for is not having implemented a way to backup Trueplay profiles. If a foreseeable solution to this, or any, issue is to hard reset your speakers, it is a shame not to offer a backup option. I’ve spent countless hours getting my Arc setup sounding the way I like, which involved numerous tuning attempts with different model iPhones. As such, the hard reset is not a practical solution for me.