Skip to main content

Today we are introducing the most extensive app redesign ever, creating an unprecedented streaming experience that allows listeners to organize their favorite playlists, stations, albums and more from over 100 services on one customizable Home screen.

Home Screen

The new Home screen provides faster access to Sonos system controls with one easy swipe up, making tab to tab jumping a thing of the past. As a leader in sound experience that’s focused on creating a better way to listen, Sonos intentionally redesigned the app on a modern software platform for an easier, faster and better experience that can support more rapid innovation.

The reimagined app supports all existing S2 products and will be available globally through a software update for the S2 mobile app.

100+ streaming services, one Home screen

The redesigned Sonos app prioritizes a listening experience that’s human - allowing you to bring your true favorites front and center and giving you more control to make your streaming experience your own.

• Get into your music (and off the app) faster: No need to tap between tabs — the new Home screen serves up all your favorite content and controls, all in one place. Quickly jump back into your recently played, browse libraries and recommendations from your preferred services, and fill your home with music and all the sounds you love.
  • Customize and curate: Enjoy unparalleled curation by designing your Home screen to reflect how you listen. Pin rows of your favorite content and services; then move, edit, or rearrange them to your liking.
  • Search every streaming library: Look for an artist, song, podcast, or audiobook across all your preferred streaming apps at once via an easy-to-use search bar that’s always available right on your Home screen.
  • Elevated system control: Swipe up from the bottom of your Home screen to seamlessly control your entire system and access a visual overview of what’s playing on each of your products, quickly group speakers, and dial in on the perfect volume from anywhere in the app. 

Accessible from any modern web browser, a brand new web app allows listeners the same seamless system control as the mobile app.

The new Web App

The Web App will be available alongside the redesigned mobile app on May 7, 2024.

Want to find out more about the new Sonos App? Have a look at the Info Hub section of the community for a complete rundown of the new user interface.

Here you can find the full press release. 

@Rhonny 

Quite! The ability to re-order a queue has always been an essential function. Why would that be taken away? And how do you now Edit a queue to remove a song, or Clear a queue??!

It is kind of mind boggling. The only option is to replace the entire queue with each song or album you want to add.  

@sjw 

“You seriously can't edit or add to a queue?”

Nope. Not in the phone app and not on the web app. Sonos needs to get an app update out fast to address this. It seem both these apps look very pretty but have all sorts of missing functions that have been a part of using Sonos for years.  Feels pretty rushed.

Just to add my issues:-

Adding services takes a long time, up to about 2 minutes to add each one.

‘My Library’ on the Home Screen keeps disappearing.

’Your Sources’ on the Home Screen is missing entirely on the Ipad.

I hope the next big-fix version follows soon. 

Andrew 

If you use an iPhone SE with a smaller screen, you can’t use the new web app because the screen size is “unsupported”.

Same for Pixel 7 Pro. Is it only designed for use with a desktop PC?

It was designed for desktops and tablets.  While I get that the s8creen size has an impact, I hope they come out with a mobile version of the web app since the main app is not usable unless you’re connect to your home network.

Doesn't work on my 10 inch tablet.    Very poor implementation of a 'star' feature.   Whoever is in charge of this fiasco should be shown the exit door. 😁🚪

@sjw

“You seriously can't edit or add to a queue?”

Nope. Not in the phone app and not on the web app. Sonos needs to get an app update out fast to address this. It seem both these apps look very pretty but have all sorts of missing functions that have been a part of using Sonos for years.  Feels pretty rushed.

Even the diehards will struggle to defend these omissions. Doesn't usually stop it but otherwise, silence is the preferred option.  Sometimes a bit of honest and constructive feedback, even criticism, is a positive thing.

There's even reports that you can't even edit Sonos Playlists too.

If you use an iPhone SE with a smaller screen, you can’t use the new web app because the screen size is “unsupported”.

It was designed for desktops and tablets.  While I get that the s8creen size has an impact, I hope they come out with a mobile version of the web app since the main app is not usable unless you’re connect to your home network.

Doesn't work on my 10 inch tablet.    Very poor implementation of a 'star' feature.   Whoever is in charge of this fiasco should be shown the exit door. 😁🚪

It will work if you set your browser to id as a desktop rather than a mobile device.  Hopefully, Sonos will create a mobile version soon, after addressing other issues on the list.  At the very least, they error message should have explained the desktop mode option rather than state that it’s unsupported, particularly since tablets were mentioned as an intended device.

@castalla if you request Desktop Site in your browser it should bypass the screen size check.

Nope.  Same failure screen. 

This app update is brutal. Honestly, I’m shocked at how much of the core functionality has been removed from the Sonos system. I’ve been using Sonos products for 15yrs and have never really had any complaints. Heck, I wasn’t even terribly bothered by the whole S1/S2 app thing.

Although this is a pretty low-priority complaint, the update also removed last.fm service from the app. This means I can no longer scrobble listens of my local music.

Just figured I’d add this to the running list of disappointing and frustrating changes/omissions that have come with this new app update.

It will work if you set your browser to id as a desktop rather than a mobile device.  Hopefully, Sonos will create a mobile version soon, after addressing other issues on the list.  At the very least, they error message should have explained the desktop mode option rather than state that it’s unsupported, particularly since tablets were mentioned as an intended device.

And just how do I set the browser to desktop I'd?   

Did they just get Marty's Software Services in Kalamagoo. AZ (right next to Bernie's Autos) to knock this rubbish together? 😝💰

Are there plans to bring back features of the previous S2 app like:

* volume control when app is closed on android via phone volume buttons

* volume control via system notification with possibility to skip songs

* see whole queue with fast scrolling, not page-by-page loading with huge delays in between (queue size is 2.5k songs)

* ability to edit queue, rearrange songs in the queue

* home screen widgets for individual rooms with volume control

* etc.

The new home screen and Spotify integration looks amazing BTW, but due to those essential features missing from the new app I was forced to revert to the previous app version, thanks to apkmirror archive.

Thanks in advance!

Sonos should pull this update ASAP..... Republish the original S2 as the update. 

And just how do I set the browser to desktop I'd?   

I don’t know what browser or OS you’re using.  Just look in your browser settings .

I’ve just noticed the “Trending Now” - now that I really do not want. It smacks of social media garbage to me and I just don’t do that sort of thing. I will never want that so I hope it is removable.

If these things are not removable I suspect that this new version is just a thinly disguised way to try and push payable services to us users.

I said this 12 days ago and I’m sadly thinking that I might be correct seeing all the posts about how basic playback tools are missing (adding to queue etc) and also the missing fast scroll through albums stored locally. It makes me think they just want Sonos to become a streaming based system and I wonder if they get paid by streaming companies to promote their product on the Sonos app.

I haven’t updated my system yet because I wanted to see what the update ruined for me before doing so. Going by what I’ve read, I won’t be updating at all,

I’m genuinely staggered that Sonos has seen fit to release this software.

They tried far too late to placate users with accessibility needs but the loss of core functionality for all is way more than initially expected.  Things that users have done pretty much since Sonos’ inception have been inexplicably removed without comment.  I said elsewhere, it’s like an MVP, not an update to a really mature piece of software.

I’ve just noticed the “Trending Now” - now that I really do not want. It smacks of social media garbage to me and I just don’t do that sort of thing. I will never want that so I hope it is removable.

If these things are not removable I suspect that this new version is just a thinly disguised way to try and push payable services to us users.

I said this 12 days ago and I’m sadly thinking that I might be correct seeing all the posts about how basic playback tools are missing (adding to queue etc) and also the missing fast scroll through albums stored locally. It makes me think they just want Sonos to become a streaming based system and I wonder if they get paid by streaming companies to promote their product on the Sonos app.

I haven’t updated my system yet because I wanted to see what the update ruined for me before doing so. Going by what I’ve read, I won’t be updating at all,

It's just rubbish - incompetence rather than by intent

I now have the web app set up on my Pixel 7 Pro. As others have stated, you need to have Chrome in "Desktop site" for it to load. Once loaded and logged in, tap the three dots in top left hand corner and select Install app or Add to Home screen. This will then install the Sonos Web-App app. It is a separate app from the Sonos player app.

I use a local library, with bonob or SMB access with a NAS, and well this has disappeared with the new version.
How can a new version be so regressive?

I now have the web app set up on my Pixel 7 Pro. As others have stated, you need to have Chrome in "Desktop site" for it to load. Once loaded and logged in, tap the three dots in top left hand corner and select Install app or Add to Home screen. This will then install the Sonos Web-App app. It is a separate app from the Sonos player app.

Finally, practical advice!  Put that man in charge of software development! 😊

I use a local library, with bonob or SMB access with a NAS, and well this has disappeared with the new version.
How can a new version be so regressive?

Because their target audience is now subscribers to streaming services who want to listen to algorithm derived playlists and What's trending. I wouldn't be surprised if support for personal music libraries is withdrawn in the not too distant future.

in that case, I think I'll part with my sonos speakers.

Can't get current track to display as 'now playing' screen - this rubbish doesn't even qualify as a delta version. 

Can't get current track to display as 'now playing' screen - this rubbish doesn't even qualify as a delta version. 

The ‘Web App’ doesn’t have a full ‘now playing’ screen - I only see one in the Sonos App. I guess this would have to go forward as a feature request. Anyhow, it’s +1 from me.

The Web App is very basic and for most part and is just a ‘remote’ App interface for basic playback functionality. Its not clear if Sonos intend to extend that functionality either, as clearly the main-user market is more towards mobile users and the phone/tablet controller devices.

It’ll be interesting to see how the AMA goes next week!

Marco -- it is after 1 PM in California, and I don’t see this update anywhere.   The app says “no update required” when I check.  And a search in the App Store on my iPhone shows the same App I already have.  When is it released on the west coast?

It’ll be interesting to see how the AMA goes next week!

Save the Date, everyone. Let's express our feedback 😒