Would like to power Roam off via software or voice

• 24 April 2023
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

At the moment I have to hold the power button down for a few seconds to power it off. Sometimes this doesn’t work and although I don’t let go of the button it thinks I have. So today it took 5 attempts before the speaker powered down.

I don’t use the feature where it will shut itself off and go into sleep after being idle for a while because, annoyingly for my use case, it powers itself back up again when I open the Sonos app. This is not what I require because the Roam is only used occassionally in the bathroom. If there was an option to not do this then I would use this method.

Given the above, I would like to be able to power off completely using either the app or a voice command. I know I probably need to create a request but I doubt they will do anything if only one person requires it!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7

Enable Battery Saver in the Sonos app and the Roam will automatically shut off after 30 minutes of it being idle:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/battery-settings-for-portable-sonos-products

When manually shutting off the Roam, press and hold the button on the back for about five seconds until you hear a descending chime.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Yes I know all that and explained in my post above :)

The battery saver mode will power off but it also powers up again when the Sonos app is opened - well it did the last time I tried it.

Userlevel 7

The battery saver mode will power off but it also powers up again when the Sonos app is opened - well it did the last time I tried it.

If the Battery Saver feature actually shut off the Roam, the Roam should NOT power back on when you open the Sonos app.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

If the Battery Saver feature actually shut off the Roam, the Roam should NOT power back on when you open the Sonos app.

Have you tried it? The last time I tried it, the Roam came back to life again when I opened the app to play to other speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @JohnG666 

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

Have you tried it? The last time I tried it, the Roam came back to life again when I opened the app to play to other speakers.

I have tried it with the ‘power saver’ feature enabled and the Roam (off it’s charger) powers off completely after the 30 minute period of inactivity, that includes not opening the App for that period.

With the ‘power saver’ feature disabled it will just ‘sleep’ and continue to wake-up (standby mode) ready for playback.

See this helpful support link too:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/battery-settings-for-portable-sonos-products

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

So I suspect in my tests, I wasn’t leaving it long enough between it going into powered off mode and opening the Sonos app?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

As far as I have noticed with mine you can still open the app within those 30 minutes to control your other speakers as long as your not playing any music on the Roam itself. So ungroup it if it was grouped and after 30 minutes it should completely power off. To turn it back on you have to walk to the Roam and use the hard button to turn it on again.

But now that i think off it i have never actually paid attention to the time that had past so maybe Ken_Griffiths is right. It would be a strange behavior though in my book. Who is counting the time? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

To add, a way to power it off through the app would be a great feature though. With my Sony headphones i can do this too. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

So I’ve just tried it again. The option for battery saver was already on.

I listened to the Roam whilst in the bath using the Android app and left it turned on. I also selected the Lounge at this point and played something on there for a minute just to be sure I’d not left it on the Roam in the app. I then closed the app completely.

After 30 minutes I checked and saw that the white light had gone off on the speaker. I left it another 5 minutes and then opened up the Android app once more with the last room having been played selected (Lounge stereo pair). The Roam immediately showed in the list as if it was powered on and showed the last radio station that I’d played. The Roam was now showing the white light again  and fully powered up,

So to give it another chance I disabled the battery saver option and re-enabled as I’m now clutching at straws because it just won’t work how I want it to. I will report back in another hour or so as I’ve left it powered on again and will see what happens.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I’ve just had another thought…. Are you supposed to leave the app unopened for 30 minutes after the speaker has powered down?

I’ve just had another thought…. Are you supposed to leave the app unopened for 30 minutes after the speaker has powered down?

Don’t open the App after the Roam ends it’s playback - Off it’s charger it should then sleep/power-off after approx. 30 minutes - leave it a short time after the LED goes off (give it 5 minutes say) and then it should stay powered off.

If the Battery Saver is not enabled, the Roam will simply linger in sleep mode after the 30 minutes and should wake up when the Sonos App is then opened (from fully closed state) and will be ready to play - the App sends a WOL packet so it just needs the controller device to be on the same network subnet.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Don’t open the App after the Roam ends it’s playback - Off it’s charger it should then sleep/power-off after approx. 30 minutes - leave it a short time after the LED goes off (give it 5 minutes say) and then it should stay powered off.

That is basically what I did and the Roam powered up again. I haven’t opened the app yet for this 2nd test but will do so in 20 minutes or so. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

So this time I left it a good 40 minutes after the powerdown happened and it’s not powered up again thankfully.

The next time I will leave it for 10 minutes after it’s powered itself down to see if that works as expected. But I will leave that test until I use it properly again.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

After your comment i started a test too and you're right. If you do open the app within 30 minutes it does power up again , i just never noticed that before. I don't think it's a good feature and it should at least be a setting you could turn off imo.