Answered

First Generation S1 system and Bluetooth devices

• 19 August 2022
  • 5 replies

I have a 10-years plus plethora of first generation (S1) products that don’t function with S2 software. Is there a work-around way to get my system to work with Bluetooth devices 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 19 August 2022, 06:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Not that I’m aware of. To my knowledge, the only ‘bridge’ device for Bluetooth made by Sonos is the Roam, and it requires S2. Most people in the past, with S1 devices, have just attached an external Bluetooth receiver to a Sonos line in, if you have a Sonos device that has one. 

Not that I’m aware of. To my knowledge, the only ‘bridge’ device for Bluetooth made by Sonos is the Roam, and it requires S2. Most people in the past, with S1 devices, have just attached an external Bluetooth receiver to a Sonos line in, if you have a Sonos device that has one. 

All the Sonos speakers / players that are compatible with S1 ONLY have lines-in, so Bruce’s suggestion may work well for you.  Note that the line-in on a single device can be played to any and all Sonos devices in the system, so in theory you may only need one Bluetooth receiver.  However, as Bluetooth requires ‘line of sight’ you may find it convenient to use more than one.

as Bluetooth requires ‘line of sight’ you may find it convenient to use more than one.

I can play via Bluetooth several rooms away. I just use a long range transmitter, which seems to manage to punch through the odd wall or floor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

A Connect or similar with Bluetooth receiver will do the job.

A Move plays Bluetooth but I think it disables WiFi in Bluetooth mode?.

Sonos Ones do Airplay.

So would a PLAY:5, as it has a line in, just has a different form factor on the plug.