Answered

AP or Passthrough wifi extender?

• 3 June 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

just bought a SONOS Move. Initially concerned that when I took it outside it wouldn’t see my Wi-fi. I hadn’t appreciated it doesn’t support sonosnet. Luckily this isn’t an issue so long a# I set it up on the 2.4Ghz network.  The real issue I hadn’t thought of is my controllers (iPad and iPhone) struggle to control the sonos system as the Wi-fi signal is poor. 

I’ve read loads of questions and answers around using Wi-fi extenders with sonos, mostly concluding buy a sonos bridge (I’ve 2) or a sonos boost. None though about getting the controller working. Obviously sonosnet is invisible to the controllers.

So, is there a Wi-fi extender that will work, should it be set up as an AP (probably not as this creates a subnet) or configure as pass through?

icon

Best answer by Steve Turner 26 November 2020, 16:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Extenders/APs don’t create a separate subnet; routers do. 

An extender to provide additional coverage for a controller should be fine. Use a different SSID so the Move doesn’t try to connect through it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Issue resolved by buying a BT Wi-fi disc. Move now connected at the bottom of the garden!