Answered

Trouble connecting 2 Roams at the same time

• 3 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi,
I struggle to set up a stereo pair of two Sonos Roams. The issues is that both Roams connect individually, but fail to be displayed in the app at the same time. If both speakers are on, the app shows the speaker that was turned on first. If I turn off one speaker, the app finds the other one. 
Sometimes if connect one speaker via Bluetooth, I manage to see them both in the system settings. However, this doesn’t allow me to create a stereo pair.
Has someone an idea what I’m doing wrong? Thank you for the support!
Niklas

icon

Best answer by John B 3 January 2023, 18:23

View original

7 replies

Hi. You cannot connect to two Moves in Bluetooth mode - is that what you are trying to do?

If you are in WiFi mode and can only see one speaker at a time in the Sonos app then you have probably  set the speakers up as separate systems. 

Hi John,
I haven’t tackled the Bluetooth Setup yet, this about WiFi mode.
I just tried connecting the other speaker via Bluetooth in an desperate attempt to find it.
Yes, as of now I have separate systems.
I would think that I can form a pair as soon as both Roams appear in the list.
Or would I have to “forget” both Roams and add them at the same time?
How would I do that? Pressing Play & Plus on both Roams at once?

If my guess is correct you have set the speakers up in two separate systems (“households” in Sonos jargon).  You want all your speakers in one system or they might as well be on opposite sides of the planet.  You should factory reset whichever Move you cannot currently see in the app.  Then go to Settings, System, Add Product and follow the prompts.  Do NOT at any point choose to ‘set up a new system’.

(If I am guessing correctly, you chose to ‘set up a new system’ for both speakers.  You only do that for the first speaker.  After that it’s ‘Add Product’.)

Hi John,
I haven’t tackled the Bluetooth Setup yet, this about WiFi mode.
I just tried connecting the other speaker via Bluetooth in an desperate attempt to find it.
Yes, as of now I have separate systems.
I would think that I can form a pair as soon as both Roams appear in the list.
Or would I have to “forget” both Roams and add them at the same time?
How would I do that? Pressing Play & Plus on both Roams at once?

If you set them up as separate systems, the best way to get them on to a single system is to do a factory reset on one of the speakers, then add the reset speaker on to your existing system.  You won’t need to reset both speakers, just one.  And to be clear, make sure that your un-reset Roam is on and visible in the Sonos app, back before you add the Roam that you did the reset on.

Thanks @John B and @melvimbe - the factory reset did the trick.
I indeed did the initial setup in a different household. Since I added the Roam to the new network and removed the old connection, and since the speaker worked flawlessly by itself, I didn’t thought this would be an issue.

I’m glad it’s sorted.  Are you going to try them as a stereo pair?  Just realised they are Roams, not, Moves, but obviously the principles are unchanged.

Yes, I did set them up as a stereo pair, works great so far :)