Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Setup Not Working

Here‘s what happening:

1. I choose setup new speaker
  2. I choose the Roam SL
  3. It says „There was a problem setting your Sonos Roam SL…Let‘s try something else“
  4. Click Continue
  5. To continue, let‘s connect your movable device to the temporary network…
  6. I click Join
  7. Next your Sonos will play a chime…
  8. I click continue 
  9.  It plays a sound
  10. Says finalizing connection…
  11. “We‘re having trouble finalizing the connection to your Sonos Roam SL
  12. I click Try Again
  13. it fails again „We couldn‘t verify the audio passcode“6
  14. I try then the PIN number
  15. This also fails „There was a problem during setup“

I‘ve tried restarting my device, I‘ve tried on both my iPad and my iPhone.

Is this speaker just broken?  What else can I try?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

128 replies

Userlevel 2

Still the freaking same error for my Roam, hopefully they release a new update soon 

Just spent 3 days trying to get through to Sonos tech support on setup issues with new devices. The technician told me that with the latest version of the app (I’m using iOS), you are unable to configure wifi connections. His only recommendation was to connect via ethernet until some future date when they fix the app to enable wifi setup. I’m trying to setup a new SONOS AMP for one of my customers and seeing the same issues as reported in this thread.

Userlevel 2

Still getting “Your mobile device cant connect your sonos roam. Move your mobile device closer and make sure sonos is powered on.” error while trying to connect my Roam using the iOS Sonos app 80.01.11

Userlevel 3
Badge

Still getting “Your mobile device cant connect your sonos roam. Move your mobile device closer and make sure sonos is powered on.” error while trying to connect my Roam using the iOS Sonos app 80.01.11

did you uninstall/reinstall the app and factory reset the speaker? I was getting that as well, had to reset everything

Userlevel 2

did you uninstall/reinstall the app and factory reset the speaker? I was getting that as well, had to reset everything

Yes I did, uninstall app, restart my phone, install app, hard reset speaker, try to add again, nothing. I wish I had an android or a mac to help me with this, but its only my iphone

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yes I did, uninstall app, restart my phone, install app, hard reset speaker, try to add again, nothing. I wish I had an android or a mac to help me with this, but its only my iphone

i am sorry :(  They have a windows app that you can install and try with. one question when it says in the beginning Found Sonos Roam do you see anything if you go to your phone’s wifi settings, is there an option to add Sonos to your network.

Userlevel 2

i am sorry :(  They have a windows app that you can install and try with. one question when it says in the beginning Found Sonos Roam do you see anything if you go to your phone’s wifi settings, is there an option to add Sonos to your network.

Looking at my WIFI settigns I found the option to add a new decive to the network, that let me progess in the setup process for the Roam, however after adding it asks me to update, and then I get a new error :( (Error 36 and 1002) and can’t get past it even following the instructions

Userlevel 2

New update: even though the app won’t let me update the Roam, at least I can now select it via Air Play as “Unnamed Room” so at least now I can use the freakign thing.

Userlevel 3
Badge

New update: even though the app won’t let me update the Roam, at least I can now select it via Air Play as “Unnamed Room” so at least now I can use the freakign thing.

Amazing! Some progress

The latest update let me add the device but I can’t update my device so its not registered. Keep getting “There was a problem updating your Sub”. Error code 1002 on iOS and 1000 on Android.

How can they be so incompetent? Just rollback until all the issues are address! 

I have the exact same problem. I can add, but i get the 1002 error when trying to update.

I was finally able to get my new Sonos Roam SL added.  It was a bit of trial and error even after reading some of the recent comments.  I did the following:

1. Factory reset the speaker
  2. Deleted the app and redownloaded the app
  3. In my WiFi settings on my phone, added the Sonos Roam Shadow SL (it probably won’t show up as a a device to add until you attempt to add it through the Sonos app at least once)
  4. I never received a completion or confirmation notice that it was added after running through the steps to add it via the Sonos app.  The app crashed (closed on its own) without any kind of message at the point where it appear to be complete with adding the Roam.
  5. I didn’t see the Roam added at first but after a few minutes it showed and showed as ‘Unnamed Room’.
  6. I was able to update the name of the room and finish registering it.
  7. All then seems to work fine.
  8. I checked for updates and it appears to be on the latest version (when I looked in ‘About My System’ so no issue there either in regards to updates.

So, that was all a little messy, to say the least.

Since I enjoy torturing myself, I was curious if I did a factory reset if it would require all of the same steps as above to add it back to my system.  Surprisingly, and fortunately, this second run-through work perfectly, flawlessly and quickly - exactly as it is supposed to work.

So, in summary, definitely some trial and error and definitely painful but at least I got it to work in the end.

anyone else manage to connect with new app update other than Roam 2’s? 

Yes!  I just added a comment

I was finally able to get my new Sonos Roam SL added.  It was a bit of trial and error even after reading some of the recent comments.  I did the following:

1. Factory reset the speaker
  2. Deleted the app and redownloaded the app
  3. In my WiFi settings on my phone, added the Sonos Roam Shadow SL (it probably won’t show up as a a device to add until you attempt to add it through the Sonos app at least once)
  4. I never received a completion or confirmation notice that it was added after running through the steps to add it via the Sonos app.  The app crashed (closed on its own) without any kind of message at the point where it appear to be complete with adding the Roam.
  5. I didn’t see the Roam added at first but after a few minutes it showed and showed as ‘Unnamed Room’.
  6. I was able to update the name of the room and finish registering it.
  7. All then seems to work fine.
  8. I checked for updates and it appears to be on the latest version (when I looked in ‘About My System’ so no issue there either in regards to updates.

So, that was all a little messy, to say the least.

Since I enjoy torturing myself, I was curious if I did a factory reset if it would require all of the same steps as above to add it back to my system.  Surprisingly, and fortunately, this second run-through work perfectly, flawlessly and quickly - exactly as it is supposed to work.

So, in summary, definitely some trial and error and definitely painful but at least I got it to work in the end.

I tried these steps and it still won’t update (error 1002)

Same issue as deceived , error 1002 and error 1000 after two days of trying. Spent 3hrs with tier 2 support today and no progress. Reset everything all the way down to modems and routers even. Nothing. It’s the new App, and unfortunately the new app is installled on all of my Apple devices so I can’t set up any new devices , Roam SL , Roam 2 or Move . None working . The new APP update is a travesty of an update. Sonos needs to make this right. I’m second guessing any more investment in new Sonos devices after this, rendering them completely unusable when APP fails seems risky. These new devices are going back to the store. 

Badge

Thanks. Connected 2x Era‘s but cannot add them as surround. Went through all the steps and got the “surrounds successfully added” but then just stays shown as different rooms. 

Hi all,

I experienced a very similar issue with a Sonos Five today, this is how I got around it:

• Install the Sonos using Ethernet to begin with (and mobile app)
  • When the Sonos app goes into it’s update loop (error code 1002), abort the process and download the Windows version onto a PC.
  • Update the speaker/device with the Windows version
  • Continue the installation using the mobile app (switch to WiFi if you like)

May also be worth disabling automatic updates on the mobile app.

It appears the mobile app is broken.  A client hired me to install their new Sonos speakers today.  This is my first experience with Sonos.  All I can say is, it is lucky they sound good.  The application and architecture leaves a lot to be desired.  I lost a good day’s worth of my time that I cannot charge my client for.  If anyone has an email address for accounts payable at Sonos, that would be great… thanks ;)

Cheers,

Ben.

@bhalicki How are you setting it up on a computer. I have a Mac and the app on the Mac does not allow you to install new devices, it only allows to change music or use your current system. Adding new devices is no where to be found. Separate question , how are you connecting the speaker to do this is talk on your window PC. There’s no Ethernet jack or data connection Jak on Move 2 or Roam 2 or any battery devices . Confused. I’m getting stuck at the erro 1002 and 1000 code , and can’t get past it no matter how many attempts and resets . The app is broken and it doesn’t appear Sonos cares they released a dud. Very frustrating. 

Hi all,

I experienced a very similar issue with a Sonos Five today, this is how I got around it:

• Install the Sonos using Ethernet to begin with (and mobile app)
  • When the Sonos app goes into it’s update loop (error code 1002), abort the process and download the Windows version onto a PC.
  • Update the speaker/device with the Windows version
  • Continue the installation using the mobile app (switch to WiFi if you like)

May also be worth disabling automatic updates on the mobile app.

It appears the mobile app is broken.  A client hired me to install their new Sonos speakers today.  This is my first experience with Sonos.  All I can say is, it is lucky they sound good.  The application and architecture leaves a lot to be desired.  I lost a good day’s worth of my time that I cannot charge my client for.  If anyone has an email address for accounts payable at Sonos, that would be great… thanks ;)

Cheers,

Ben.

This fixed it for me and I was able to add my symfonisk as arc surrounds. Thank you! 

I just had a great experience with a live chat person through Sonos. Below is a copy of our transcript with step by step instructions that worked wonderfully! Sorry but didn’t feel like deleting extraneous info, so here is all of it.

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:27:46 PM): To clarify, you are unable to add Roam SL, correct?

null (5/25/2024, 1:28:08 PM): Yes, I am trying to add my Roam SL to our system but I get stuck where it says it’s not registered and requires an update

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:28:19 PM): Got it. I understand you're having a problem with Roam. Let me help.

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:28:29 PM): Can you submit a diagnostic to get more information from your Sonos system? Navigate to Settings > Visit Help Center, and select Submit Diagnostics. After submitting, please provide the confirmation number.

null (5/25/2024, 1:28:57 PM): 1965415891

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:30:05 PM): Thank you. Do you have a computer or laptop?

null (5/25/2024, 1:30:11 PM): Yes

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:30:37 PM): Great. Please download the Sonos app on your computer and here's the link https://support.sonos.com/downloads.

null (5/25/2024, 1:31:08 PM): Ok give me one minute

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:31:14 PM): Sure.

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:31:16 PM): Thank you.

null (5/25/2024, 1:33:10 PM): Ok I have it downloaded

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:33:20 PM): Great. Please open it and join the existing system.

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:33:27 PM): There should be an update after joining the existing system.

null (5/25/2024, 1:33:58 PM): Yes updating now

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:34:14 PM): Got it. Please let me know the result.

null (5/25/2024, 1:36:03 PM): Update complete

null (5/25/2024, 1:36:38 PM): The update screen came up again, but it says it’s up to date. Should I click “more options…”?

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:36:56 PM): Please update and let me grab a diagnostic here on our end.

null (5/25/2024, 1:37:35 PM): Diagnostic number 1640014973

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:37:58 PM): I can see here on our end that the Roam is now up to date. Please go to the mobile Sonos app to register the product.

null (5/25/2024, 1:41:56 PM): I went to register and when the green and white light flashes and it prompts me to press the play/paise button, it doesn’t register in the app that I’m clicking it

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:42:47 PM): Got it. What's the exact error message?

null (5/25/2024, 1:44:07 PM): “We didn’t detect a button press from your Sonos Roam SL. Let’s try again”

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:44:16 PM): Please try again and hold the play/pause button.

null (5/25/2024, 1:45:08 PM): I did this, and same message came up again

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:45:47 PM): Got it. Would it be possible to factory reset the Roam? This process will delete registration information, content saved to My Sonos, and music services from a Sonos product.

null (5/25/2024, 1:46:17 PM): Sure. I tried this before without success but this is the farthest I’ve gotten so far.

null (5/25/2024, 1:46:26 PM): How do I factory reset again?

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:46:29 PM): Thank you. Kindly follow these steps to factory reset the Sonos Roam:

1. Press and hold the power button on the back of your Roam for 5 seconds to power it off. You will hear a chime and the status LED on the front will turn off.

2. While holding the Play/Pause button, press and release the power button on the back of your Roam.

3. Continue holding the Play/Pause button until the light on the front flashes orange and white.

4. The light will flash green when the process is complete and your Sonos Roam is ready to be set up.

null (5/25/2024, 1:47:17 PM): Ok light is green now

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:47:34 PM): Great. It means the product is ready to be set up/.

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:47:41 PM): To add the Roam, please go to Settings > Add product.

null (5/25/2024, 1:48:22 PM): K following prompts now

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:48:27 PM): Sure. Thank you.

null (5/25/2024, 1:49:24 PM): Ok it looks like it’s working!

null (5/25/2024, 1:49:28 PM): Let me test the music

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:49:34 PM): Great. Let me grab a diagnostic here on our end.

Wilbert T (5/25/2024, 1:49:36 PM): Sure. Please try it

null (5/25/2024, 1:49:42 PM): Got it!

null (5/25/2024, 1:49:53 PM): Thank you so much.

I just had a great experience with a live chat person through Sonos. Below is a copy of our transcript with step by step instructions that worked wonderfully! Sorry but didn’t feel like deleting extraneous info, so here is all of it.

My Roam SL had just arrived in the mail and like so many of you, I couldn’t get it setup. I was unable to connect with Sonos support so followed the above transcript from thobefam using a Mac Book and iPhone. It worked! Success and Immense Joy! Listening to Foo Fighters through the Roam as I type :-)

Thanks thobefam!

--

dano

Found the best solution!….after several hours with Sonos tech support, Google, ISP,….

1- Take Roam SL back to where you bought it (or grab a few pieces of paper and set it on top and let it do the job it was born to do)

2- buy new Roam 2, released yesterday,

3- setup takes 60 seconds and flawless. 

4- Use new Roam 2 button for instant Bluetooth, so much better. $179 but worth it

You are welcome! 

This is going to be my approach too. Will report back if I see the same result when Roam 2 arrives (hopefully tomorrow)!

Just confirming that Roam 2 setup was simple and fast for me too! I loathe to suggest giving up on the original/SL and hand Sonos more money for their incompetence; but it will definitely ease your troubles.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

No luck with my sonos five still...tried the windows app but it just says no system found. Just keep getting 1002 error.

No luck with my sonos five still...tried the windows app but it just says no system found. Just keep getting 1002 error.

Try using the mobile app first (so that the device is at least added).  When you get to the part where it tries to update, then switch to the desktop app to do the update.  Once the update has been applied to the Sonos Five, continue with the mobile app.  I’m pretty sure the mobile app is buggered :)

I have had all these same problems and tried all the same things….now instead of showing a picture of a roam sl to connect to, it is showing a picture of a port…..I will be returning this.

Badge

So, i ended up resetting all my speakers and home theatre setup and connected 

Thanks. Connected 2x Era‘s but cannot add them as surround. Went through all the steps and got the “surrounds successfully added” but then just stays shown as different rooms. 

So i ended up resetting all my system and plugged everything in over Ethernet (had to get 2x Symfonisk’s Gen 2 ‘s again as that has an ethernet port; Era 100’s don't and my guys is its a WIFI / app issue??) and did as follows:

1. Added the Ray to the sytem and connected TV/remote.
  2. Added each bookshelf as separate rooms. Once each speaker now able to be added to system it goes through a software update. (odd thing here is one speaker update worked on IoS on the new app; but the other speaker was updating then showed 1002 error code, so had to be done over Windows version of app to update software. 
  3. Added surrounds for the Ray and added both Symfonisk’s (still on ethernet) and they appear as surrounds
  4. Rather than add Sub (Gen 1) also on ethernet to Ray + 2x Symfonisks to complete the home theatre setup, went back to main screen of app and pressed the “+ Add speaker or component” button and waited for sub to appear.
  5. Added sub to Ray + 2 Symfonisks
  6. Home theatre setup successful.
  7. Removed ethernet cable to 2x Symfonisk’s and sub, left the ethernet cable in the Ray and checked “enable WIFI” was still on 
  8. Checked all sub, 2x symfonisk had “enable WIFI” on
  9. Tested with a movie on Netflix playing 5.1 ch surround and it worked

This support page https://support.sonos.com/en-au/article/surround-sound-guidelines-and-limitations# says ERA’s 100 can be added to Arc, Ray, Beam (any generation) does not currently work over WIFI and latest 80.01.11 app release last week. Tried for days to add the ERA’s as a surround set and nothing, even after the screen on apps say them have been added (see last thread)

Good news is the Symfonisk Gen 2’s now seem to work and are on the system with latest app after Ethernet and Step 2 above.

Good luck!