Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Setup Not Working

Here‘s what happening:

1. I choose setup new speaker
  2. I choose the Roam SL
  3. It says „There was a problem setting your Sonos Roam SL…Let‘s try something else“
  4. Click Continue
  5. To continue, let‘s connect your movable device to the temporary network…
  6. I click Join
  7. Next your Sonos will play a chime…
  8. I click continue 
  9.  It plays a sound
  10. Says finalizing connection…
  11. “We‘re having trouble finalizing the connection to your Sonos Roam SL
  12. I click Try Again
  13. it fails again „We couldn‘t verify the audio passcode“6
  14. I try then the PIN number
  15. This also fails „There was a problem during setup“

I‘ve tried restarting my device, I‘ve tried on both my iPad and my iPhone.

Is this speaker just broken?  What else can I try?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

128 replies

The latest update let me add the device but I can’t update my device so its not registered. Keep getting “There was a problem updating your Sub”. Error code 1002 on iOS and 1000 on Android.

How can they be so incompetent? Just rollback until all the issues are address! 

I have the same issue after the new update as well 

with the same error 

Userlevel 2

after the app update tried connecting Sonos Roam

1. chose the reset the app to start fresh.
  1. went thru the initial steps to sign in and accept user agreement
  2. See new option to add a device or headphones(which confirms app update, the headphones option is new)
  3. finds my Roam: Getting your Sonos Roam ready
  4. Your mobile device cant connect your sonos roam. Move your mobile device closer and make sure sonos is powered on. Continue
  5. Getting your Sonos ready
  6. Error: Your mobile device is unable to set up your product. Use a different mobile device and try again
  7. Same steps on my iPad, same error

Same thing happened to me, they just updated us to a new error

2. See new option to add a device or headphones(which confirms app update, the headphones option is new)
  4. Your mobile device cant connect your sonos roam. Move your mobile device closer and make sure sonos is powered on. Continue
  6. Error: Your mobile device is unable to set up your product. Use a different mobile device and try again

Same for me as well setting up a Roam SL with an iPhone. The update didn’t fix anything even though it was supposed to fix “Software support for new Sonos hardware”. https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/sonos/id1488977981

The app update was to support the new headphones and new Roam 2. Probably why they can’t roll back; otherwise the new stuff wouldn’t work. I’m sending my Roam SL back and getting the Roam 2 in the hopes the new app is designed to work with it. Trying to get my wonderful wife a working Mother’s Day gift before May is over.

Userlevel 1

The latest update let me add the device but I can’t update my device so its not registered. Keep getting “There was a problem updating your Sub”. Error code 1002 on iOS and 1000 on Android.

with the same error 

I had exactly the same issue. It wouldn’t update from my iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro and iPad Pro. Ultimately I decided to try the Mac app on my MacBook Pro. And low and behold.. it worked! The app on my Mac updated my Roam and after that I was able to register it to my account on my iPhone.

After a week of being a useless brick I’m finally able to use my Roam.

I found a weird workaround myself.  In the new updated version of the app I was able to go through most of the steps of adding the Roam SL.  It stalled at the point where it needed to update the software on the roam itself to finish the setup.  This kept returning an error 1000.  I submitted diagnostics, called sonos support, and spent 45 minutes on hold before hanging up.  I couldn’t get the app to stop showing the screen saying it needed to update, so I uninstalled the app, rolled back to the old version of the app, and was able to finish the setup there.  So weird, but I’m happy it worked!

with the same error 

I had exactly the same issue. It wouldn’t update from my iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro and iPad Pro. Ultimately I decided to try the Mac app on my MacBook Pro. And low and behold.. it worked! The app on my Mac updated my Roam and after that I was able to register it to my account on my iPhone.

You are a hero 

-went through macbook air 

-installed the sonos app

-login to my system account 

-it ask for updates 

-update the speaker 

and it works perfectly 

thank you so much for spreading such tips 

Userlevel 3
Badge

with the same error 

I am assuming that only works for previously connected devices? because i am not able to add a new device on Sonos app on my Mac Book Pro

Userlevel 3
Badge

This is the only option available to me on Sonos App on my Mac for a new Roam Setup: 

with the same error 

I am assuming that only works for previously connected devices? because i am not able to add a new device on Sonos app on my Mac Book Pro

Not at all 

its my first system and first sonos ikea symfonisk speaker follow the step above wish good luck for you 

This is the only option available to me on Sonos App on my Mac for a new Roam Setup: 

Login to your created account then a pop message for update will show up then after completion you go back to your phone it will show up the speaker perfectly 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Login to your created account then a pop message for update will show up then after completion you go back to your phone it will show up the speaker perfectly 

there is no log into account on the Mac app, i only see this screen. and the options are

greyed out i guess since i dont have any devices added

Userlevel 3
Badge

to add : this is what is installed: Sonos_79.0-52294.dmg

Ditto here! (using app version 80.01.10) Then I noticed an even new app version, 80.01.11, which I downloaded and tried… same exact failure sequence.

These are the work-around steps I was able to take.

Using an Android phone:

1. Install the most recent update (80.01.07).
  2. Login to (or setup) your Sonos account.
  3. Add device and connect device to 2.4GHz network. This will likely end in message saying you need to restart device to finish adding to the system.
  4. Revert app back to past version (16.1).
  5. Connect to existing Sonos network (on your 2.4GHz network).
  6. Update your device (which will take 10+ minutes - but Android app has progress bar).
  7. Ignore the error at the end and exit out of update.
  8. Update your app.
  9. Connect to existing Sonos network and register updated device.

Presumably, steps 5-9 could be done from desktop app (which seemed to initiate the update - but did not have a progress bar - so opted for Android app route). This would obviously make step 4 unnecessary.

to add : this is what is installed: Sonos_79.0-52294.dmg

Press on add existing system and will asked you for your credentials 

what i observed adding it from mobile it will be added in the system but fail to updated or show it on 

then from the mac you can updated and will show up in the phone  

Badge

Looks like it’s only solving Roam to add to system?

Says it’s “fixed issues adding surrounds” but I have reinstalled to latest app, reboot/reset my Era 100’s, added them as different rooms and tried to then add them as surrounds but still no luck. Even tried uninstalling app and reinstalling on an android phone. Fail. 

Userlevel 2

I could also connect my new Roam finally, after update the app today.

However, the app still is buggy and I had to followings:

1. iOS app could not connect the Roam initially, just like the old version.
  2. Android app also could not connect the Roam.
  3. Changed the Wi-Fi router settings to use only 2.4GHz.
  4. iOS app still could not connect.
  5. Android app could find and set up was processed, only by connecting Roam’s Wi-Fi directly and used sound PIN method.
  6. However, even after above process, both iOS and Android app could not find the Roam again.
  7. I have downloaded Windows app and installed.
  8. Windows app could find the Roam but requested finish the set up through the app.
  9. Done reset the Roam and tried again with Android app from the beginning.
  10. FINALLY the app successfully set up the Roam.

As you can see, it’s still painful and frustrating procedures, yet at least now I can listen to music from Roam for the first time since purchased 2 weeks ago.

I sincerely hope my experiences above can help.

Cheers.

Userlevel 2

Ditto here! (using app version 80.01.10) Then I noticed an even new app version, 80.01.11, which I downloaded and tried… same exact failure sequence.

Same thing here, just updated to 80.01.11 and still no luck connecting my new Sonos Roam

Userlevel 3
Badge

I finally finally connected. Not saying this is what will work for all but this is what finally worked for me.

After updating the app i removed it to clear any cache that could be stored.

I then reset the speaker to its factory settings by pressing the Play and Power Button until it cycled thru the process.

i then went thru the steps to connect, it played the chime and displayed a message: Adding Sonos Roam to your system, that took about 90 seconds or so and then the app just crashed.

i went back to the iOS app and System settings where is said You are connected to the Sonos system on <my wifi name>

At this point the speaker light was solid white.

I then opened Sonos app on my Macbook Pro and Clicked on System Settings, where it did prompted me to login and update the speaker, but after that i was finally connected. 

I hope this helps others to connect. seems like this update did fix something however it is still far from fixed considering the hoops we need to jump thru to connect

i’m still dead in the water trying to use my iOS app or Mac desktop app.  After downgrading to the S1 app and connecting via the wifi screen on my phone I got it 99.9% of the way completed.

Now, I can’t get the registration process completed!  it says to press the button when flashing green and white (it is) but it seems like it isn’t sending the signal back to my phone. 

I got the Roam SL as a b-day gift for my husband as we are moving towards a Sonos household with a Sonos Roam and a Play already in the house.  VERY frustrating to not have this connect! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I don’t have a mac and my sonos device wont update during set up I keep getting 1002 error. 

Badge

anyone else manage to connect with new app update other than Roam 2’s? 

Userlevel 1

Found the best solution!….after several hours with Sonos tech support, Google, ISP,….

1- Take Roam SL back to where you bought it (or grab a few pieces of paper and set it on top and let it do the job it was born to do)

2- buy new Roam 2, released yesterday,

3- setup takes 60 seconds and flawless. 

4- Use new Roam 2 button for instant Bluetooth, so much better. $179 but worth it

You are welcome! 

Found the best solution!….after several hours with Sonos tech support, Google, ISP,….

1- Take Roam SL back to where you bought it (or grab a few pieces of paper and set it on top and let it do the job it was born to do)

2- buy new Roam 2, released yesterday,

3- setup takes 60 seconds and flawless. 

4- Use new Roam 2 button for instant Bluetooth, so much better. $179 but worth it

You are welcome! 

This is going to be my approach too. Will report back if I see the same result when Roam 2 arrives (hopefully tomorrow)!