Skip to main content

Here‘s what happening:

1. I choose setup new speaker
  2. I choose the Roam SL
  3. It says „There was a problem setting your Sonos Roam SL…Let‘s try something else“
  4. Click Continue
  5. To continue, let‘s connect your movable device to the temporary network…
  6. I click Join
  7. Next your Sonos will play a chime…
  8. I click continue 
  9.  It plays a sound
  10. Says finalizing connection…
  11. “We‘re having trouble finalizing the connection to your Sonos Roam SL
  12. I click Try Again
  13. it fails again „We couldn‘t verify the audio passcode“6
  14. I try then the PIN number
  15. This also fails „There was a problem during setup“

I‘ve tried restarting my device, I‘ve tried on both my iPad and my iPhone.

Is this speaker just broken?  What else can I try?

One more thought:  please give Sonos app the lowest rating on the app store

I’ve just had an email from Sonos after being on the phone to them for over 3 hours yesterday without a solution. This is what they said in the email:

Following up on our conversation yesterday, we have now open an internal investigation regarding the issues you are experiencing when trying to set up your new Sonos Five as we have seen an increased number of cases displaying the same behavior. 

Moving forward, I will follow up via email once we have an update on this and rest assured, out team is working tirelessly in order to reach a resolution.

Thank you for your patience and collaboration so far.

This pretty much confirms it’s the app right?

I’ve just had an email from Sonos after being on the phone to them for over 3 hours yesterday without a solution. This is what they said in the email:

Following up on our conversation yesterday, we have now open an internal investigation regarding the issues you are experiencing when trying to set up your new Sonos Five as we have seen an increased number of cases displaying the same behavior. 

Moving forward, I will follow up via email once we have an update on this and rest assured, out team is working tirelessly in order to reach a resolution.

Sounds like it!

Sounds like it!

Very encouraging. Thanks for fighting the fight!  Keep us posted. Please. And thanks. 

Same issue trying to connect a new Sonos Roam SL. Chat support was not helpful yesterday. Called today and after 1 hour on hold plus 1 hour of “trouble-shooting”; the tech was going to replace the Roam SL. When he came back on, he noted that there is a very recent issue related to the new app and I will be contacted via email by the engineering team. No replacement.

Maybe reading between the lines a bit; but I wonder if the new app included an updated S2 controller firmware, but all the inventory of new devices need an update before they can connect to that version of the controller.  

Feels like a kick-the-can down the road response. Now to return the Roam or wait it out.

Another Roam SL user here having same issue attempting to connect my Roam to my existing Sonos system. Spent over 4 hours with support yesterday - via chat and phone - only to be told by the support representative that if I pursue an RMA and the new Roam doesn’t work, I won’t be entitled to a return and refund!  WTF?

Another user suffering the exact same issue. Thank you for documenting the step sequence. Don't know why they force using the latest app when their testing and software team is so incompetent. Gave the app 1 star.

Same issue here trying to setup my Sonos Sub Gen3. Thought it was the a faulty device until I realized how buggy the new app is.

Tried using wifi, connected to the sonos network, and ethernet connection. None of them work.

Still can’t get passed this on the set up…

Same issue here with Roam SL. It is crazy that they are not doing anything about it.

Same issue. Just got 2 Gen 2 SYMFONISK. Tried wifi, Ethernet, reboot phone, router and still doesn’t connect. From the sounds of it, won’t bother with calling Sonos support. Will just return them for money back

New user.  Same issue.  Got a Beam (gen 2) setup successfully a few days ago, but when I tried adding a Roam SL to my setup yesterday, I experienced this same sequence of events on the road to failure.  Retried dozens of times after restarting and/or rebooting iPhone, Roam, Eero network in various combinations. Pure insanity.

Is it worth attempting the setup using an Android device, or is this really a Sonos app issue, regardless of mobile OS type?

(I was super excited for this purchase and now after a day of monkeying around it’s hard not to be completely deflated.)

One more victim here, already did my 1 star review and sent an email to ceo@sonos.com

New user.  Same issue.  Got a Beam (gen 2) setup successfully a few days ago, but when I tried adding a Roam SL to my setup yesterday, I experienced this same sequence of events on the road to failure.  Retried dozens of times after restarting and/or rebooting iPhone, Roam, Eero network in various combinations. Pure insanity.

Is it worth attempting the setup using an Android device, or is this really a Sonos app issue, regardless of mobile OS type?

(I was super excited for this purchase and now after a day of monkeying around it’s hard not to be completely deflated.)

I have tried iOS and Android apps in multiple devices but all failed. I also downgrade Android app to 16.1 (as it’s very hard to do that in iOS) but as soon as I tried to set up ROAM, the app is asking for the update the app and not proceeding further.

We’re all doomed because of this defective application and SONOS is not providing any solution as yet.

I also sent email to CEO but obviously no reply whatsoever...

Same issue, I owned 2 sonos roam until a couple month ago when the battery on one of them died permanently after only a year of use. Bought 2 a Roam SL a couple days ago, one paired to my current wifi but won't group to the older sonos roam and the other SL has had this same issue.

I am experiencing the same issue and Sonos tech support is closed today, even in the hours it is supposed to be working.  Has anyone had any resolution?

Just a “me too” on the SYMFONISK Gen 2 bookshelf speakers. Only saving grace is IKEA has a 180 day return policy, so I guess I’ve got two bricks sitting in my place with hope for a Halloween miracle…

I am having the same problem!  I got all the way to using a temp network option, entered the passcode and it failed.  Sending this back, it's junk!  The new version of the app is too.

fun fact - 6 people in my neighborhood also got this speaker for mothers day. NO ONE has been able to connect it to their existing systems….. SAME ERROR.   I dont think its a coincidence - its a bug!

Just a “me too” on the SYMFONISK Gen 2 bookshelf speakers. Only saving grace is IKEA has a 180 day return policy, so I guess I’ve got two bricks sitting in my place with hope for a Halloween miracle…

I contacted IKEA customer / tech support and they basically said return them. So I did. New issue: Replaced them with 2 Era 100’s - added them to existing system no problem but when I tried to make them surrounds for a room, it goes through all the steps and says successfully added surrounds, but the  App still show them as separate rooms.

Tried it with a pair of old Play 1:’s which were set up pre app release as surrounds and it now no longer works or cannot be added as surrounds. Too long to explain but Sonos tech says it's a Router issue. I then went to Google (running a Nest mesh WIFI at home) who said that it was an ISP issue, and ISP said it was a Google issue. 

Hopefully App update will fix WIFI connectivity issues now that we’ve spent 2x for Sonos speakers vs. co-branded, bt still no luck I’m afraid.

Same here, I was able to set up my a new Sonos system with Sonos amp, Sonos port, but 2 Sonos roam are not connecting with the exact issues  mention above. After 2hrs support call (1hr waiting and 1hr trying to fix it) the only thing they told me is that it might be my network or the new update. I literally try it all, new network new phone, 2.4, 5.0 with more and less security but nothing worked. They told me I should wait until a new app update is available, it can takes weeks!! 
Very disappointing, I was a Sonos fan with more than 10 Sonos speaker bought in the last years and first time I have such a big issue!!

sadly I’m returning mine today because the window for returns is only one more week. Too expnsive of an option to just have sitting as a paperweight.  

after the app update tried connecting Sonos Roam

1. chose the reset the app to start fresh.
  1. went thru the initial steps to sign in and accept user agreement
  2. See new option to add a device or headphones(which confirms app update, the headphones option is new)
  3. finds my Roam: Getting your Sonos Roam ready
  4. Your mobile device cant connect your sonos roam. Move your mobile device closer and make sure sonos is powered on. Continue
  5. Getting your Sonos ready
  6. Error: Your mobile device is unable to set up your product. Use a different mobile device and try again
  7. Same steps on my iPad, same error

Got 2 Roam SL last week. Unable to setup due to the same error. Will return them

The latest update let me add the device but I can’t update my device so its not registered. Keep getting “There was a problem updating your Sub”. Error code 1002 on iOS and 1000 on Android.

How can they be so incompetent? Just rollback until all the issues are address!