Answered

Sonos Roam Won't connect to Wifi

• 10 February 2023
  • 2 replies

I bought a Sonos roam for my frequent travels. Apparently, it’s not allowed to travel? Although it’s called roam? Here’s my issue: I get to a new place and I need to connect it to the wifi so I can use it with the TV. But in order to do that I need to factory reset it to connect it to the WiFi, because that’s a clean user experience. So I do that, but it simply won’t connect. Refuses. Now it’s a brick. Because if it isn’t connected via wifi, bluetooth doesn’t work. Am I missing something? I bought a portable speaker that doesn’t allow changing locations?

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 10 February 2023, 09:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

The Roam needs to be set up with the Sonos app on WiFi before it can connect to your device via Bluetooth.

Ideally you should set up the Roam for the first time on your home’s WiFi network. Then anytime you travel with the Roam, connect to it only using Bluetooth.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Two statements you make could not be right:

“Here’s my issue: I get to a new place and I need to connect it to the wifi so I can use it with the TV. “

There usually no way for a TV to get sound into the Sonos system through wifi - that's why Sonos has its soundbars (connenected via HDMI). So you must be using bluetooth to connect the Roam? So a Roam sholud need to contact a new wifi network when you're not at home.

“But in order to do that I need to factory reset it to connect it to the WiFi, because that’s a clean user experience.” Not sure what a "clean user experience” is, but it should not be needed to reset a Sonos device to add a new network. Remember that hotel, company or campus networks usually make it impossible for devices on the network to contact each other (for safety reasons). Your phone needs to contact the Roam for set up - especially when you've reset it. Could this be why it “it simply won’t connect"?