Answered

sonos Roam won’t connect to be set up with hotel wifi

• 16 July 2023
  • 9 replies

I bought Roam whilst travelling but having difficulty setting it up with the hotel wifi and my phone. It keeps timing out whilst trying to set up. Any suggestions? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 July 2023, 17:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Most hotel Wi-Fi’s have a “log-in” page, the Sonos can’t display.

Many people use a travel router that can connect to the hotel, and the Roam (and your phone) connects to the travel router. It also provides a nice side benefit of keeping everyone on the hotel’s network from having access to your Sonos. 

Thank you, I have connected to my phone via Bluetooth, so I am up and running. 

I have paired with Bluetooth on my phone but are unable to get Wi-Fi connection from the hotel. Sonos says connect to the same Wi-Fi as Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hotel wifi systems are designed so device do not “see” each other on the network, for safety reasons. Sonos needs devices to see each other.

Yes, I am getting the same issue. For something that should be fairly straight forward, this is quite a painful experience. I am starting to regret the purchase. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

For hotel or other commercial type WiFi systems the travel router mentioned above is a cheap and easy solution.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I can't beleive I am still having this problem years later.

I am travelling, in a hotel. I just want to use the Bluetooth feature on my Roam but Roam keeps cycling through the installation lights (flashing green and then orange) and I am unable to turn the Bluetooth feature on. 

This is like the 3rd time this has happened to me since I got the Roam (had it since it dropped), but it doesn't happen all the time.

Why can't this bloody thing just work like any other Bluetooth speaker?  Thats its entire purpose! Sheer bloody madness. 

I dont even want to use wifi, happy to use my mobile data and downloaded songs. 

Because it’s not ‘just a Bluetooth speaker’, most likely. It’s a network enabled Sonos speaker that also includes Bluetooth.

For better or worse, Sonos chose to require setup on a Sonos system before it can be used as ‘just’ a Bluetooth speaker.

I’m currently away from home, and am using my previously set up Roam as ‘just’ a Bluetooth speaker, without trying to connect it to the system running in this home. I have no problems playing anything via Bluetooth on it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@DuranDoranMartell It looks like you've reset the Roam, so it needs non corporate/hotel wifi to be set up again. See the answer to your other post here:

roam at a hotel | Sonos Community