Answered

Sonos Roam via Solar Charging

• 3 August 2023
  • 2 replies

I want to put a roam under the overhang on my front porch and charge via a solar panel similar to my ring camera. I’m live in Santa Barbara (home of Sonos!) so weather isn't that much a factor but my 2 questions are: 

1. Would the solar panel (2-5W) charge the roam? I wouldn’t be using it a lot but didnt know if it needs to be a certain watt size to take a charge. 
  2. can the roam remain “on” so i dont have to turn it on each time similar to my move or other sonos products. 
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 3 August 2023, 20:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I want to put a roam under the overhang on my front porch and charge via a solar panel similar to my ring camera. I’m live in Santa Barbara (home of Sonos!) so weather isn't that much a factor but my 2 questions are: 

1. Would the solar panel (2-5W) charge the roam? I wouldn’t be using it a lot but didnt know if it needs to be a certain watt size to take a charge. 
  2. can the roam remain “on” so i dont have to turn it on each time similar to my move or other sonos products. 

1 - The Roam product page says that you can charge with any 5V/1.5A  (7.5W) USB charger.  So you’re well below that.  Not sure if that means that it won’t take the charge or that’s the minimum requred to ensure playback while charging.  I would guess the later.

2- Yes, the Roam can remain on.  I have a pair of Roams in a bathroom that are on and plugged in all the time.  I don’t really use them as portables at al, just stationary speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

An unregulated panel might damage the Sonos.

A well regulated one should work, you’d want both low and high voltages prevented.