Skip to main content

Sonos Roam Orange Light

I have 2 sonos Roam speakers. One of which will not connect. I have not used this one for several months. All I get when placed on charger is the orange light but this goes out for after a couple of minutes then nothing. I’ve tried a different charger same thing. 

77 replies

3 year old Roam also died recently. Unlike some others in this thread I was not offered a free or discounted replacement despite being fairly invested in the ecosystem including an Arc 5.1 set up. Might have something to do with being overseas in Singapore.

Chat support was polite, said they would replace the Roam and that I would soon be contacted through the authorised distributor. Instead, after waiting weeks to receive the official email resolution, what they meant by “replace” was for me to buy another Roam gen 1 for essentially full retail price, plus pay for 2-way shipping (to send the dead Roam back). It gets even dumber and more insulting each time I think about it.

I’ve been dissatisfied with Sonos for some time and with this latest experience I will certainly no longer be a customer. With Wiim streaming options, and more traditional audio brands wading into the lifestyle wireless segment, Sonos has very little competitive advantage in my eyes, so it is startling they choose to nickel and dime customers instead of standing behind their (defective) products.

I bought 2 Roams in July 2022.  One failed with the orange light/won’t charge issue in May 2024, and when I called Sonos support it was replaced with a Refurbished Roam 1 (as I posted earlier in this thread).   Just last week, the other Roam (23.5 months old) also failed with the same issue.  Sonos support indicated it was out of warranty but offered me a courtesy replacement.  The best news of all is they didn’t have any Roam 1 stock, so this time, they sent me a Roam 2!

It unfortunate that Roam 1 has this flaw, that is apparently so common that both my Roam’s failed before they were 2 years old.  However, I do have to give Sonos some serious credit for making things right, at least in my case.  I am up and running with two replacement Roams at no cost to me!  I am hopeful, with the Roam 2 redesign, this problem has been addressed.