Sonos Roam Is Garbage

Userlevel 1
  • Contributor I
  • 6 replies

The Roam has not worked properly since the first day. I be experienced every issue mentioned on this site.   So disappointing, this stuff is not cheap and it has ruined my opinion of the company. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

It’s odd, mine has worked perfectly since day one. Perhaps if you were to provide details of your issues, and your setup, this community could help you resolve this problem. 

Userlevel 1

The speaker is fully charged with the power on, the app says the speaker is off.  

Userlevel 1

The Roam will also disappear from the app, will try to add product, app will not find the Roam, reminding me to turn the speaker on and make sure the product is near by. 

Userlevel 1

The few times the Roam did work, music would cut out for a half second every few seconds.  Product support said it was a problem with my router and to  call the cable / internet company.  Then Sonos said there were too many wireless devices on the same channel and I needed a new router.   I got a new router and the problem and many others still exist.  

Both our Roams are working perfectly fine here - sounds like your controller device is having difficulty communicating with your speaker.

Perhaps ensure both controller and speaker are using the same WiFi Access Point/network segment,

Maybe try a network/router reboot and temporarily disable any security software on the controller device, such as VPN client, Firewall etc and see if that helps identify what’s blocking the communication.

Userlevel 1

Every recommended work around has been tried multiple times with no fix found.  The entire system was purchased 4 months before the home was complete, I’ve been in the home for 1 year I don’t know what the warrant policy is, but I do know that Sonos never offered any resolution or replace after multiple, immediate, and never ending issues.

Userlevel 1

Ok guys I’m glad you devices are working.  It appears you are on here for fun or you work for the company, have you read the other topics on the Roam? It seams like it is a known garbage product. 

Every recommended work around has been tried multiple times with no fix found.  The entire system was purchased 4 months before the home was complete, I’ve been in the home for 1 year I don’t know what the warrant policy is, but I do know that Sonos never offered any resolution or replace after multiple, immediate, and never ending issues.

Assuming the Roam or other hardware is not faulty, then why would Sonos offer you anything here, when it’s likely an SSDP multicast device-discovery issue caused by your local network.

The Sonos controller uses SSDP (part of the UPnP protocol) to initially discover the players, multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900. 

Thereafter communication is unicast.

If your controller device or your LAN is intermittently blocking that type of network communication, then you need to resolve these things yourself - you are responsible for your own local network, it’s out of Sonos remit to mess around with your network settings. 

As I say, the two Roams here are working just fine with my local network. Have you tried the switching the Roam to another WiFi band? If your Roam is currently using the 5Ghz band, then perhaps try it on the 2.4Ghz band instead. Set the 2.4Ghz band to use a fixed ‘non-overlapping’ WiFi channel 1, 6 or 11 and a channel-width of 20Mhz only and see if that improves things for you. Here’s a couple of Sonos support links that perhaps may also assist you…

Userlevel 1

Ok, my bad for thinking the Roam would be just like the 15 other devices connected to the network that work on demand every time without fail. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Ok guys I’m glad you devices are working.  It appears you are on here for fun or you work for the company, have you read the other topics on the Roam? It seams like it is a known garbage product.
Agree, I’ve had 3 units with the same connectivity issues, Music stopping randomly, unable to play, ETC. Totally unreliable  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Agree, I’ve had 3 units with the same connectivity issues, Music stopping randomly, unable to play, ETC. Totally unreliable  

And no possibility that the network or the operating environment is at fault: it has to be the speaker. Or, just maybe: it’s the network configuration, or wifi interference, or…

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

And no possibility that the network or the operating environment is at fault: it has to be the speaker. Or, just maybe: it’s the network configuration, or wifi interference, or… 

An update messed  up my speaker completely, after the 14.19 update Spotify stops playing randomly, and Bluetooth auto-disconnect using the rear button is not working anymore, and  I got my second replacement in January, only to find out that all these issues still remain; before the update it was working fine. Now, as I stated in multiple threads, everything else works flawlessly in my network, and day by day I see in this forum that the number of people complaining about the Sonos Roam is rising, I even made complete reboots of  my network many times but to no avail