Answered

sonos roam bluetooth

• 30 January 2024
  • 8 replies

I’m on vacation and can’t put my roam into Bluetooth mode. It won’t connect to the hotels WiFi. It’s driving me nuts!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 30 January 2024, 17:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you already set up the Roam on a WiFi network using the Sonos app or is the Roam brand new?

It has been previously set up. Tech support indicated I needed to put the speaker in Bluetooth mode on my home network BEFORE I went on vacation so I’m screwed this trip. Would have been great info to have ahead of time. SMH. 

Userlevel 7

It has been previously set up. Tech support indicated I needed to put the speaker in Bluetooth mode on my home network BEFORE I went on vacation so I’m screwed this trip. Would have been great info to have ahead of time. SMH. 

Pretty sure this isn’t true. As long as you set up the Roam on WiFi, you should be able to pair it with a Bluetooth device anywhere.

Have you tried rebooting the Roam by pressing and holding the power button for about 5 seconds? After powering it down, wait about a minute and power the Roam back on. Then follow the instructions in this article to pair the Roam with a Bluetooth device:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/pair-sonos-roam-with-bluetooth#

My young grandson had this issue with a new Roam, whilst camping a couple of years ago. He just used another person's mobile ‘WiFi hotspot’ to setup/register the Roam using the Sonos App.

When setup, I assume he just Bluetooth-paired it to his iPhone and streamed from one of his Apps. He certainly didn't have any issues getting it paired/playing.

So the problem is that the type of network being broadcast by the hotel does not have compatible protocols for any Sonos network to join. Believe me I tried and got that very message. 

That sounds like an awesome workaround will give that a try later. Thanks. 

So the problem is that the type of network being broadcast by the hotel does not have compatible protocols for any Sonos network to join. Believe me I tried and got that very message. 

Most Hotels will either have a login page, or perhaps security in place to prevent one device connecting to another on the same WiFi network, or sharing the same login credentials. I have this issue trying to get my iPad to communicate over WiFi with my mobile, or laptop (or vice versa).

I solved it by using a travel router/Mobile MiFi LTE device I use a D-Link dwr-2101. So it’s not just Sonos that has issues with Hotel WiFi networks… they are quite limited, per se.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

As said before if the speaker already has been set up over wifi, it now should do the bt connection anyway without need of wifi. 
If a normal restart won’t let you do a connection or new pairing, I would try a forced restart by pressing and constantly holding the power button for about 15 seconds. 
Maybe this will help… otherwise you can still try a new wifi connection.