Answered

sonos roam battery overheating

• 1 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

My Roam battery - According to the diagnostic I sent in to Sonos help - is overheating and shutting down the unit.

When it is off the wireless charge for 10 minutes everything starts working normally. But this is totally frustrating for a $180 speaker.

This keeps happening over and over. I’d like Sonos to replace the defective unit. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 October 2023, 01:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Best to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Support, as a rule, doesn’t read these forums, nor will an unsolicited diagnostic be read, as per the discussion in the Diagnostics - How do they work? thread.

What is the room temperature? Is there any air circulation around the unit?

Badge

Low 70s. All by itself on a shelf. Nothing that makes heat in the room. 

Badge

And thanks. I have discussed it with Sonos support. It’s send this report. Unplug it for an hour and call us back. Nothing helpful yet. 

I notice that my unit feels warmer when using the wireless charger (compared to a USB charger), but I haven’t noticed it shutting down. I haven’t had a reason to pay attention and measure the actual temperatures.

http://[IP address of roam]:1400/status/batterystatus will give slightly more details.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I notice that my unit feels warmer when using the wireless charger (compared to a USB charger), but I haven’t noticed it shutting down. I haven’t had a reason to pay attention and measure the actual temperatures.

http://[IP address of roam]:1400/status/batterystatus will give slightly more details.

I actually stopped using the wireless charger because of this. After having fried my android phones battery with qi chargers I stopped being fan of this charging method. It's convenient though. 

Badge

I actually stopped using the wireless charger because of this. After having fried my android phones battery with qi chargers I stopped being fan of this charging method. It's convenient though. 

I appreciate the workaround to stop using a wireless charger - but a $179 unit with a $50 Sonos charger should work as advertised. 

I have a wireless charger for my phone and the phone can run rather warm while on the charger. I’m mildly concerned about reduced battery lifespan because of this heating.