Answered

Sonos Roam as a bluetooth bridge

• 23 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Having a new issue with my Sonos Roam and I’m hoping someone might be able to shed some light on it or maybe help me figure out what is going on. I bought the Roam purely for it’s ability to serve as a bluetooth bridge to the rest of my system as described here. I have an android phone, AirPlay is not an option, so until the Roam came around I was unable to play audio from my phone/laptop on the rest of my purely wifi Sonos system (described below). This worked perfectly for the last ~8 months but last week it stopped working and I can’t figure out why. Going through the usual steps of pairing to the Roam and then adding the remainder of my system to the group coordinated by the Roam appears successful in the Sonos S2 app (version 15.9), but the sound only plays from the Roam and the rest of the speakers are now silent. Was this feature perhaps disabled by Sonos? Or maybe someone has experienced a similar issue and found a solution?

The remainder of my system consists of:

• One (gen 2) x6
  • Move x2
  • Beam (gen 1) x2
  • Sub (gen 2) x1
  • Sub mini x1

Thanks so much in advance!

Mark

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 23 October 2023, 14:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @marcusfacius, welcome to the Sonos Community!

This feature hasn’t been disabled, but there are a few steps we can perform to resolve this issue. From what I gather from your post, you can Bluetooth to the Roam but any speaker you group wont carry the Bluetooth audio. Does this occur with every individual speaker or does this only happen with certain speakers? What happens if you move the Roam closer to the speaker you’re grouping with?

I would definitely recommend a reboot of your system by powering off your Router, Sonos devices, and android phone for around two minutes. This can help re-establish any dropped or lost connections.

It’s possible that this is occurring due to interference, so I would recommend you check your Sonos devices aren’t near sources of interference outline in our article for Reducing Wireless Interference.

If the steps above don’t resolve the issue for you, then please submit a diagnostics while the issue is occurring and reach out to our support team for further assistance. As the issue seems simple to replicate, our team can look into the diagnostics you submit and troubleshoot further.

I hope this helps!

Hello Jamie! Thanks so much for the reply!

Yes, you are correct - I can pair to the Roam over Bluetooth but not send that audio from the roam to any other (non-bluetooth) Sonos speakers by grouping them with the Roam. Yes - it does occur with whatever other Sonos I attempt to group with the Roam when the Roam is connected to my phone via Bluetooth. Moving the Roam closer to the other Sonos I am trying to group with does not appear to change the situation. I just finished trying the reset of the router/phone/each Sonos - sadly to no avail - so I’ll go ahead and submit the diagnostics and hope for a solution that way. 

Mark

Did the diagnostics turn in move this ahead?

Well not exactly - I did gain some new info though. The representative I spoke with said he could not identify anything wrong with the diagnostics, BUT I did realize while going through the process that it seems to be an issue specifically with Android devices as I am able to successfully get audio from my laptop (Windows - PC) to play through my Sonos system via the Bluetooth connection to my Roam as I used to do with my Android phone, just not with any of my (various) android devices. This despite resetting the android devices, and removing/repairing the Sonos from my Android devices. Strange.

It is frustrating because the app I use for audiobooks (Libby) is only available to me on my android devices and not my laptop, therefore I still can’t use the Sonos system to listen to them (except the Roam, obviously I can still use that single speaker by itself over Bluetooth with my phone and other Android devices). Still very much interested in a solution if anyone has any ideas!

Mine has become a complete success.  It has opened up my sonos network to play sound from bluetooth for the first time.

Fiddling with bluetooth settings on my phone and the connection choices (room selection) in the sonos app, I eventually got it all working.  Anything I play to bluetooth on my phone plays through my sonos system including Libby. 

Android though?

In my opinion it is very strange that the Sonos Roam would pair via Bluetooth but but be able to link to the remainder of my Sonos system **only** from non-Android devices. It feels suspicious for a software problem particularly given that I have tested with multiple Android devices. But I don't know. Just educated guessing. 

There are really no Bluetooth settings on my phone to fiddle with as you suggest @kgwlunar. Can you be more specific?  The settings available to me are really just connect/disconnect, phone audio and/or call audio. No other settings, at least with my (current) version of Android. Curious. 

Yes

Mine has become a complete success.  It has opened up my sonos network to play sound from bluetooth for the first time.

Fiddling with bluetooth settings on my phone and the connection choices (room selection) in the sonos app, I eventually got it all working.  Anything I play to bluetooth on my phone plays through my sonos system including Libby. 

The Roam Pathway is currently working for my Ray Set up.  Has been a great way to open up the flexibility.  Would highlight suggestions from other threads around Switching off your Router and Sonos devices and then allowing the units to come back online.

Also have found that the Sonos Desktop App has been a little more easier to use to Group My devices in the Same room than Phone due to some of the Firewall/VPN Settings in my Phone.