Answered

Sonos Move USB-C doesn't work when battery depleted.

• 30 September 2023
  • 1 reply

To start off... I know that the Move requires a 45 watt minimum PD port to charge the Move. 

I have both an Anker portable battery and a charging brick that charge well above the 45 watt minimum. Also, the portable battery has a readout so I can see how much charge is being drawn.

Both items charge the move when it has some charge in it, but when the battery is depleted they no longer work. Also, when the battery is depleted, the orange light comes on in the front, but does not turn off after 10 seconds like it normally should. My portable battery shows that it has a small draw (less than 1 watt, maybe coming from the lighton front?). When the Move has some charge to start though, the battery shows the normal 45W pull and I can watch the % rise on the app like it should. 

It feels like it isn't  able to negotiate the power draw when it has no juice or something like that. Has anyone else seen this issue?

icon

Best answer by buzz 30 September 2023, 19:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Probably the battery needs to be replaced. If you have a second MOVE, swap batteries. If the problem follows the battery, replacing the battery is the fix.

After a Lithium battery is discharged beyond a certain point it can become a fire hazard. I’m sure that you’ve encountered news reports where a laptop or portable bike has caused a fire and airlines do not allow passengers to stow these batteries in the cargo bay. In order to prevent these fires, the batteries lock out when discharged beyond the safe point. This is one reason why it is recommended that Lithium batteries be kept on a charger. A battery forgotten for a few months in a drawer or closet may lock out.