Sonos Move Unresponsive

• 10 April 2024
  • 6 replies

I've had my Sonos Move for about a year and a half now and about a week ago it suddenly stopped responding completely.

I've tried to hold in the power button for thirty seconds on and off of the charge ring, the Move does absolutely nothing, no LEDs light up even briefly. I've tried the same with the Bluetooth button and connect button, same result.

I've removed it from charge for 4 days to drain the battery, still nothing.

I've charged it over night using the charge ring, still nothing.

I've charged it over night using a USB-C connection, still nothing.

I've removed the battery and reinserted it as some threads have suggested, still nothing.

I've tried to take readings with a multimeter on the battery and charge ring but can't seem to get any readings. (I'm not sure I'm testing them correctly. If anyone has any advise on how to test either I would appreciate it.)

I don’t know what else to do.

We stay in South Africa, about 180kms from Port Elizabeth and to my knowledge there isn’t a Sonos outlet in SA/PE.

I received the Move as a gift from my wife, who doesn't have the receipt anymore so the retailer won't accept it back.

The postal service in SA is completely unreliable and couriers aren't allowed to handle imports/exports without it going through our postal service first, so sending it to Sonos abroad is also not an option.

So, the way I see it, I need to fix it myself (with help from this thread) or I have a really nice looking expensive paper weight.

Any advice on how to go about fixing the Move would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies

You may have a battery failure. If you are on good terms with another MOVE user, try briefly swapping batteries. 

Hi buzz,

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a Move. Do you know how to test the battery?

If the battery is charged, you should be able to measure voltage on a couple pins. It’s difficult to prove anything with this test. Certainly, if there is no or very low voltage there is a problem, but we don’t know if this is a battery failure or a charging circuit failure.

You should be able to measure output from the ring. Here are the requirements for a USB charger.

Userlevel 7

Hi

Not trying to be funny or make jokes...but here is a speculation. Granted I have no idea as to how you used the speaker. Therefore, what follows is PURE speculation.

South Africa has a mean temp of 17.5 C which is 63.5 F in the US. That’s a beautiful climate.

Even though the Move is advertised as an outdoor speaker it could be suffering from “over exposure” to outside elements. In my part of the world there are about 6- 7 months when the Move would be indoors as opposed to a possible year-round exposure in your part of the  world.

As I said in the beginning my thought are PURE speculation.

@buzz 
I see several - pins and one + pin. Using my multimeter I don’t get any reading for DC V between one - pin and the + pin. As for the charger, if I measure between the two pins I don’t get a reading either. I’m not sure I’m testing correctly, but I’ve tried to push them in while measuring and still nothing.

Thanks for the info on the USB charger. I’ve ordered one and will give it a go.

@AjTrek1 
The Move as almost exclusively been used indoors and on its charging ring except for the odd 2/3 hour stint outside during fair weather. There are no signs of water damage or any other type of damage for that matter. Unfortunately I don’t think that’s the cause. Thanks for the help tho.