Answered

Sonos Move not showing

• 8 October 2019
  • 76 replies

Show first post

76 replies

I'm having the same issue. The Move disappears from the app. Last time I was using Alexa on Move I then grouped music to a play 1 speaker. Then it went wrong touching the play button on the move made music play through the play 1 speaker but not the move speaker. The move vanished from the app until I either switched to bluetooth or switched off then it appeared as off line. Took a while to fix. Worked out I had to follow the instructions to reboot and reset the move. Then I had to reset the wifi network in the house to allow it all to reconnect. Took ages to work out but got it going again. Then today I have played music through Alexa to the move. Move plays music. Then after a short time I moved to another room in the house. I stopped the move playing and used Alexa to start the play 1 through the phone Alexa app. Now the Move has vanished again. Really cant be bothered resetting my entire network again when everything else is working fine. Sonos please sort this out or I will be returning my Move after lockdown is complete.

I appear to have a similar issue.

After a few hours, or overnight (while on the charger), the Move disappears from the iOS App list of speakers.

It is still playing (connected to the same 2.4Ghz WiFi as all other sonos devices...), Alexa works, commands work.

And bizarrely: Play and Pause works on the iOS App works (ie it stops the Move too) when I have all speakers grouped and that initially included the Move.

But volume control change across the group doesn’t change the volume on the Move.

Clearly a software bug.

Meanwhile the device and its battery level both appear in the iOS App’s System menu.

Same issue here.  Move does not show up in the iOS or Android apps but still can be controlled with Alexa.  I have an iMac, as well.  I have been able to get the Move to show up by turning my WiFi off and then back on.  The Move will show up for a while but after a certain period of time it will stop connecting with the app and eventually drops back off.  This is a relatively recent phenomenon for me as it was working well for the first few months of ownership.  SONOS needs to address.

Same issue here as well. Move intermittently drops out of the iOS app. IPhone XR on latest iOS version.  All my other Sonos devices work flawlessly.  I’m convinced it’s the app as the Move works perfectly when controlled through Windows even when it’s not showing up on the phone, indicating that the Move is not disconnecting from my network. 

Same issue here. In checking the way my various Sonos system components were connecting to my WiFi network, I’ve found out that my Move was the only one connecting through 5Ghz. I’ve tweaked my router back to 2.4Ghz and it appears to have solved the issue.

Same issue here. WTF Sonos? My whole system was fine until you told me that I need to replace half of it. I took your word for it, spent a considerable amount of money and got a bunch of new problems.

I have just bought a Move and having exactly the same issues described above. If the Move is powered down, it shows in apps as “offline”. When you power it up, it sometimes shows in the app and you can control it, sometimes it just disappears completely. I know it is connected to wifi/network in these cases (when it disappears completely from app) because you can control it with Alexa. Apps we are using to control include iOS app on iPhone, iPad, mac, and even old CR200). It may appear on some, all, or no apps, with no rhyme nor reason why or when it will appear. Also as noted by others, if you can get it to appear on one app and group with another speaker (i have a beam, one, connect and connect:amp which have always worked perfectly together), then those grouped will also disappear. 

Very disappointed - Sonos usually works very well. This speaker at the moment is frankly next to useless because you don’t know if / when you can control it. 
Sonos - please sort this out else I will be returning it under your current 180 return scheme.

Exactly the same issue here.. MOVE sits in its dock but every morning I have to power it off/on to get it back on the app.  I’d understand it if “standby” was an option, or default when on battery, but this makes no sense.

Sonos need to flash an update to allow users to set standby on/off whilst on dock as this is annoying and making me consider sending it back.

Same issue here. After installation I could use the Move for a short while. Then it disappeared from the controller. Spent an afternoon resetting, rebooting and trying to reconnect. Succeeded only after I had reset my WiFi-network in the app. Then it disappeared again from the app. Reappeared once when powered off and on. It is still in the network, because when turned on, it plays from the playlist I chose when I could still control it, but it is not in the controller app anymore now. Please Sonos, provide a solution!!!!

Badge +1

I have a similar issue to that described above. I recently bought a Move. Set it up fine and it is playing away happily sitting in the charger all the time. However, it no longer appears on the iOS app. I use a UniFi mesh network which it is connected to and I can see the Move is connected on the UniFi app - on 2.4Ghz. The rest of my Sonos components are connected via Sonosnet via boosts. 
I will try and reset Move and some of the other suggestions made above, but this seems to be a significant shortcoming for an expensive piece of equipment. Has anyone found a solution or has Sonos responded on another post?

Same issue here. Have tried every suggestion here and my Move won’t come back into the S2 app. Shoes up and works with Alexa, just not Sonos app.

Sonos needs to figure this out. 

I am having the same issue - sick of rebooting and resetting to make MOVE appear on app only to have it disappear again.  Have been a fan of SONOS for some time and was looking forward to including the MOVE in the house.  Seems like it is still full of bugs with no solution.  

Adding comment to stay up to date in case there is an actual answer for this. Having a similar problem. Shows up via AirPlay but not in the app.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ditto. Here for a solution to my magical disappearing Move (if one ever appears)

Additional random oddities for this situation:

1. I’ve watched the Move appear, and disappear from the app, all while playing music on it. The music doesn’t stop, but the speaker itself falls off.
  2. I’ve seen hard wired speakers (Sonos One) disappear and the Move reappear, then reverse in a matter of minutes while trying to play music through a separate room

Same issue here.  Move disappears.  Hit play and it starts playing what was streaming to it last.  Never re-appears in app until one does the reboot dance and prays.

Same issue here. Move randomly disappears in Sonos app even when still streaming and playing music. And yes, it is stationary and on the charger.
Rebooting move is the only option.

All my others speakers (Beam, One, Play:3) use SonosNet (WM:0).

Move uses WiFi (WM:1) for obvious reasons.

Same problem with Move as everyone above is stating, all other speakers work without an issue.  The Move does not show in the iOS app, but does show in AirPlay.  The only way I can use the Move speaker is if I turn it on via AirPlay.  I don’t have the option of grouping the Move speaker in with any other speakers because it does not show in the app.  Sonos it would be good if you can respond to this issue, this now has been an outstanding issue for a year!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @hawaii50.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Have you already tried to do a factory data reset with the Sonos move?

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

I’ve had the speaker for 2 month but I am now having exactly the same problem. I have tried the factory reset and it’s not worked. Still does the same thing and won’t let me complete the set up on the app. Rest of the system works so well but I’m not impressed with this speak given it cost £400.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Aidan C.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Have you tried Settings, System, Find Missing Product?

Try to set up the move near the modem or router.

There’s might be some wireless interference with the setup.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Thx for getting back to me Mark.

I tried all of that and reset the move to factory settings. This did not help as the device still didn’t show in the app so I could set up up after the reset. I did get to working by switching it off and no again a few times, and managed to set it up but then its dropped off the Sonos app again.

I could use alexia, and if I hit the pay button it would play the last played item and would show on airplay, but the only way I could see the device in the Sonos app was when I switched it off and it would show as offline. Then I switched it on again It would disappear and not show.

Please help as I have speak the can’t use.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Aidan C.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Have you try unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug your Sonos devices back in.

If still having the same issue I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

I had a very similar problem: on an iPhone12, after a few months of normal operation, the boom dropped out of the Sonos app as long as the Move was turned on (when turned off, it was displayed as offline). All other Sonos speakers were displayed and working normally. On an iPhone X and an iPad Pro, the Sonos app always worked correctly, i.e. the Move was always displayed and worked normally, just like all other devices. All Apple devices with iOS 14.2 and Sonos 12.2.1.
Then I turned off the Move and unplugged the other Sonos devices, rebooted the router, and then restarted all Sonos devices again. After this procedure, the Move appeared again on the iPhone12 and everything worked!

Any resolution on this???? 

This is a clear, repeatable problem. 

1. Add a Sonos Move to a speaker group 
  2. Wait for 12 (or so) hours
  3. The Sonos Move disappears
  4. Open Settings → System
  5. Press the Power button on the Move for 5 seconds to power it down 
  6. “Sonos Move is Offline” appears in Settings → System
  7. Power up the Move. 
    “Sonos Move is Offline” disappears in Settings → System
  8. The Sonos Move may OR MAY NOT show up in Sonos app. 

SUPER SUPER annoying. Clearly the app is seeing the Move or it wouldn’t be able to tell me when it’s offline. Come on, Sonos. Fix the issue or fire your development team.