Answered

Sonos Move not showing

• 8 October 2019
  • 76 replies

Show first post

76 replies

Im having the same exact problem described here. 

My sonos moves disappear from the app, however i can ping both of them with no dropped packets, and my wifi admin panel shows that they have 90%+ signal strength. 

I should add that this appears to an App issue (android for me) because the Moves correctly show up in the windows software application. 

I can occasionally see my Sonos Move on the App by lifting on and off the cradle but cannot see it at all on my iMac now.   I always used to.    Any ideas please?   

Have to say the Sonos Move isn’t as good as I thought and wished I bought a Sonos Five and a long power lead!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the exact same problem reported in an earlier comment. It happens everytime I go to play the Move. My wife also has the problem, in fact, sometimes it shows one on phone but not the other. We both have iPhone 8’s. I paid wey too much money for something that has to be rebooted everytime you want to use it.

This is a clear, repeatable problem. 

1. Add a Sonos Move to a speaker group 
  2. Wait for 12 (or so) hours
  3. The Sonos Move disappears
  4. Open Settings → System
  5. Press the Power button on the Move for 5 seconds to power it down 
  6. “Sonos Move is Offline” appears in Settings → System
  7. Power up the Move. 
    “Sonos Move is Offline” disappears in Settings → System
  8. The Sonos Move may OR MAY NOT show up in Sonos app. 

Most annoying software feature in the world.

The Sonos app knows that a Move speaker is online, but doesn’t bother making it available for you to play music. 

Thanks Sonos!!! 

My Sonos Move, that I’ve owned for 4 months worked flawlessly until about 1 week ago. Now, I am experiencing the same issues everyone here has reported. I have done a full reset on the speaker, but Airplay is still missing.

What happened Sonos?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi everyone, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community!

Missing rooms are generally related to the network in some way - I’d recommend starting by rebooting your router (turning it off for about 15 seconds before turning back on), followed by the Move (hold the power button for at least 5 seconds to power it off, and then briefly press it again to power back on). If you have any wireless extenders in use, these can also cause problems with missing rooms, so it may be worth testing with any wireless extenders powered off temporarily.

If this doesn’t work, however, I would recommend getting in touch with our Support Team via either live chat or phone call, as they have more tools available to perform some live troubleshooting with you :)

Same problem for me, have reset the Move, rebooted my wifi router and it still keeps randomly disappearing from the IOS app. It’s extremely annoying, it worked fine for the 1st year I had it but this had started happening in the last few months.

Userlevel 1
Badge

What I have been seeing is that it varies but app update. I get a new update and it starts working, next update it stops.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same issues here as reported by many.. A brief(?!) outline of my recent frustrations…

Fairly large setup:

- Arc + Sub + 2x original play:1 Surrounds

- 2x Play 5

- 1x Play 3

- 1x Move

- 1x One

- 1x Roam

Early April, one of the play 5’s disappeared off the grid..

A week later, the Sonos S2 app on iOS 14.4.2 iPhone 12 fails to connect to entire system.

Contact Sonos support; they identify it’s because my system is on 2.4ghz WiFi and my controller/phone is on 5ghz and my router is ‘isolating’ devices between the bands. 

However note that NOTHING has changed to cause a sudden contention.. my phone always connects to 5 and the speakers are always on 2.4.

I have no extenders, no mesh, just a BT SmartHub 2.. synced bands/same SSID, SmartSetup turned off, channels hard-set/not dynamic, set to wireless mode 2.

I can’t survive with no 5ghz band as bandwidth for streaming is too low, so have reverted to Etherneting a Play 1 in to the router to enable Sonosnet.. so now the system at least shows up.. but now the Move won’t appear!

I can’t get it to show on my phone AT ALL (although will appear after a complete reset for setup). But it appears on my wife’s iPhone 12 iOS 14.4.2 just fine! What on earth is that about?!

Since you mention a BT Smart Hub 2:

tl:dr, it’s a BT issue, not a Sonos issue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Since you mention a BT Smart Hub 2:

tl:dr, it’s a BT issue, not a Sonos issue. 

Dayum.. yup.. that is exactly it then! Thanks for link.. super helpful.

I did call BT and said it was affecting ‘unnamed’ smarthome devices and they turned it back around and blamed Sonos effectively!

Armed with the info from your link they’ll be getting both barrels tomorrow.

Thank you!

Heh. The question would be, if it were Sonos’ issue, why is it not affecting anyone other that BT Smart Hub 2 users? But I’m just a smart alecky US guy, so pay no attention :)

similar issue -- Move doesn’t show up on the Sonos app. I followed the factory reset steps and added it to the network, still can’t find the product. I tried the following using the app (Android):

System > Network > Manage Networks > Update Networks > add trusted network -- yes > find system > {scroll to find the Move} > select > follow steps to add to network > enter password for wifi, connect > “updating” > {wifi name} added as a trusted network for your system > done. 

System > Products, Move is missing

Add product {doesn’t find the Move} > I don’t see my product > [recommends factory reset, which I tired earlier] > followed steps to reboot > closed Sonos app > opened, System, doesn’t list Move product > add product, and the loop begins again.

Tried factory reset again, it finds the Move, connects to wifi successfully. [If it doesn’t appear in System tab, hold power button for 5 seconds, turn back on, finish setup from System tab]. Still doesn’t show under System tab, and the only option is to start the Add Product process again.

Note: the Move is listed as a system product  at https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/system/households/devices/

Rebooted Android phone, Move still isn’t listed under System

Rebooted router. Did factory reset again, with Move plugged in and within 2 feet of the router. Tried to add product from Android phone, no go.

Then I added product from an iPhone with no cellular service on it. The Move required an update. Once that was done, the Move was successfully added to the system -- it shows on two iPhones and the Android.

Not sure why it finally worked -- perhaps one of you will know. Maybe a problem with the Android app? Maybe using a wifi-only device helped?

Hope this helps someone. :)

I have 2 Moves and I’m experiencing the same issue, I can’t get both Moves to appear together on the app, and they are on a boost along with my other wired Sonos speakers.  

The Moves don’t have the hardware to connect to your BOOST, they have to hang off your WiFi signal. They’d appear in the Sonos controller system though, once they’re connected, as the router would see all speakers, regardless of how it reaches them. 

Come on Sonos. Where there’s smoke there’s fire. Move’s connection to the rest of the system is unstable. All sorts of strange things happen.

My most recent example: Move can’t be found on the app, but if I select ‘play everywhere’ Move does play but still doesn’t appear in the app and the only way to change volume is via the hardware. Then if I deselect a different speaker (a Play 3 in this case), Move stops playing. If I add the Play 3 back into the group, Move doesn’t play. But if  I select ‘play everywhere’ Move does play… but still doesn’t appear in the app… etc.

Then it gets stranger. I turn the Move off using the hardware switch at the back. My move immediately appears in the app! … listed as offline. I turn it back on... and the Move disappears from the app.

Yes I can reset the Move, re-add it to my system and it works perfectly… for a day or so then it disappears again. Around and around we go. Clearly in the above case my Move is actually connected to the wifi and to the rest of the Sonos network and FYI its in exactly the same place as one of my Play 1s used to (reliably) sit.

There is a bug somewhere relating to how the system tracks the Move. And it’s only the move. My other 8 Sonos speakers are (generally) very reliable and unaffected by my Move’s disappearing acts.

So please take this seriously because if your customers have to spend hours each week reconnecting their Move, it not only becomes worse than useless (just an expensive bluetooth speaker), it damages your brand and thereby your future viability. 

My move is totally unusable as well.

Same as everybody else.  No move in the list of speakers then turn it off with the power button and it shows up as offline.  Turn it back on and it disappears.  I can replicate this with 100% reliability.  Shouldn't the opposite state to offline be online and available not gone?

I just tested Walt's theory and sure enough select play everywhere (7 nodes) and the move starts playing but is still unavailable in the app.   Remove any other speaker from the list and it shuts off but the good new is that seemed to make it available in the app and I can now use it.

So Sonos what's the issue?  I’ll even purchase a new router as networking seems to get blamed quite often in these threads.  Tell me Sonos what router do you recommend that will you guarantee will work with all of your products.  I don’t think it will fix the issue but I’ll give it a shot.

Found another trick to make this thing work besides the select all speakers.  If you set an alarm and put the move and another speaker in the alarm it will work every time regardless of its in app status.

So its for sure a software thing if I can trick it into playing.  

Please Sonos fix it my kids are getting sick of listening to my music by hitting the play everywhere just to trick this thing into working.

JeffV,

Uninstall and re-install the iPad App.

…or do absolutely nothing and watch as your Sonos Moves may mysteriously re-appear in your app and accept music, for no apparent reason, after an hour or so.

i swear, my Sonos devices make me curse like a sailor, at least twice a week!

…or do absolutely nothing and watch as your Sonos Moves may mysteriously re-appear in your app and accept music, for no apparent reason, after an hour or so.

i swear, my Sonos devices make me curse like a sailor, at least twice a week!

If it happens again, try this…

• Switch off the WiFi network connection on the mobile controller device. 
  • Fully close the Sonos App (slide off screen)
  • Reconnect the mobile to the WiFi network 
  • Open Sonos App and see if the ‘Move’ returns.

If using an iOS controller device, turn off ‘Private Address’ (MAC spoofing) and/or ‘Limit IP address Tracking’ in the WiFi connection properties to see if that might ‘possibly’ improve the Sonos App discovery of the ‘Move’.

I am experiencing the same Move issues as many of you, and on iOS alone.  The setup consists of the following:

• 2 Playbars
  • 2 Beams
  • 1 Sub
  • 1 Play:3
  • 2 Play:1s
  • 2 Moves
  • 3 Connect:Amps
  • 1 Connect

These are distributed across nine rooms.  The macOS controller works flawlessly and detects every room and speaker with complete reliability.  The iOS app, however (in all versions for as long as the Move has been out), regularly but intermittently loses the ability to detect the Move.  Despite this, the iOS app does seem to have awareness that the Move devices exist since the app will immediately post the devices as “Offline” if powered down, and will recognize them as online when they are moved from the charging base.

This seems to me to be among the most clear-cut cases of an app-specific bug related to sufficient polling of the device state.  Unfortunately, Sonos tech supports wants to discuss the network topology even when the iOS controller, macOS controller, and the Moves are sitting side-by-side on the same wireless access point, and only the iOS controller exhibits the issue.  I am considering disabling MAC spoofing as one user suggested and assigning static IP address to both Moves to see if the situation improves, but this should not be necessary.

In the end, I want it to “just work” and enjoy the system.  When guests ask me what my experience has been with Sonos, my opinion is tainted despite the investment that has been made.  It is unfortunate to have to hold on to hope that someone that can make a difference will read this and do something to address our concerns.

Just made an account to contribute to this discussion. Because I have been working with the Move for a while now (1+ year) and it starts to annoy me:

Two set-ups, both connected through Wi-Fi:

Beam + 2 One SL’s in one room. Zero problems. Always available.

But then, the Sonos Move. Both on the docking, and off the docking (with the docking closer to the router than the setup in the other room), it regularly disappears from the app. When it's off the docking I could understand, but usually it's ON the docking. Occasionally I can reconnect it by going to the Spotify App on the phone and then selecting ‘connect a device’, because somehow the Spotify app manages to find it when the Sonos app doesn't. But this trick doesn't always work (sometimes the Spotify app can't find it either).

So then I take it off the docking, turn it off, wait, turn it back on. Often this works (although sometimes I still have to go through the Spotify app afterwards). More than a couple times even this didn't help. When it doesn't, I give up and just use Bluetooth to connect it (but then I have to keep my phone near enough for it to stay connected, and keep my phones Wi-Fi turned on).

This issue exists with both my Android phone, my gf's I-Phone (and her old I-Phone), and the Desktop app on my laptop. Often voice activation also doesn't work when this happens, sometimes it does. When it doesn't Google assistant claims there's a network issue, but that ‘issue’ never affects any of the other devices in the house (Sonos or other).

Thanks to the Bluetooth function I’ll always be able to listen to music in the end, but it is somewhat annoying that I have to spend 5 minutes trying to make it work, while the whole Sonos thing is advertised as a super duper easy experience. None of the suggested ‘fixes’ above works as a long term solution. It keeps on disappearing.

@MT8599 & @Simonster - did you try switching off ‘Private Address’ MAC Spoofing feature in the iOS WiFi connection properties - that’s just for the iPhone/iPad controller only of course.

Also note that the Sonos App uses SSDP to initially discover the players, multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900. So it appears something is going wrong with that discovery - it might be you have some wireless interference in and around the router, or players.

Perhaps try this - ensure the router firmware is fully up-to-date. 

Set the router to use the least-used fixed ‘non-overlapping’ WiFi channel 1, 6 or 11 and if the router allows, set a channel-width of 20Mhz only.

If using a mesh router WiFi system, set one Sonos device wired to the primary router/hub and have a read through this thread too:

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

If using SonosNet, then the wired device should be located away from the router to reduce interference - at least one metre away and then also set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App so it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel.

It’s also helpful to reserve (set static) all the Sonos products IP addresses in the routers DHCP Reservation Table.

See if doing those few things helps with your Move’s device discovery.