Sonos Move missing every morning

• 6 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi,

Since I got the Move two days ago, it keeps disappearing from the Sonos App, despite still being connected to internet.

I come down in the morning and usually issue a voice command to the device, at which point it turns on some lights, and reads news from Internet and so on.

This works perfectly so network and internet are clearly up.  My Sonos Beam connects via ethernet and my Sonos One connects via wifi; both NEVER drop off the app.

However, its missing from Sonos app and the only way to get it back is Support > Find missing products

It then tells me to power cycle the device, at which point I pressed the Wifi/BT button this morning and it then found it.

Diagnostic 171706765

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Is MOVE on it’s charging ring when you experience this?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Yes, it’s on the ring and fully charged.

It happened again this afternoon after not using it for perhaps an hour.  I didn’t even bother trying to recover from the Sonos app.  First I checked my router and saw the MAC connected and transmitting.  Then I pressed the bluetooth button on the Move and then pressed again to switch back to wifi.  It immediately showed in the Sonos app, but as “not connected” (iirc that was the wording, or maybe “unavailable”), I’ll confirm tomorrow morning as no doubt it will be the same

A few seconds later it became available in the app.

Network is 2.4Ghz, Move never dropped off the router as I could see it connected and transmitting, just not available in Sonos app.  Tried a phone restart too.  Tomorrow I’ll check on the Sonos app on my computer to rule out an issue with my phone, but I’m 99% sure that’s is not the issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

So as expected the Move was not visible in the Sonos App this morning, neither on phone nor on Mac app.  When I pressed the BT/WiFi button twice, it came back immediately on the app showing as “Offline” for a few seconds, then it was available.

Before I pressed the button, I checked which AP the Move was associated to, and it was connected to my Cisco Aironet AP, whereas normally it associates and sits on my Router/AP.

It seems to be this roaming from one AP to another that causes this, but surely that is not expected behavior, since it is still connected to my network, and more importantly, is a MOVE device?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Still happening but in fact I made a mistake or its changed behaviour, but it is in fact visibile (and responds) on the Mac application, it’s only on the android app that it drops off.

The same happened again now, and when I saw it on the Mac application, I played music.  I then grouped the Move with the Beam, and it is streaming from both speakers, but when I did that, the Beam also disappeared from the Android app.

What type of router WiFi network is the Move connected to? Are there any other wireless access points? Have you perhaps tried using a different wireless channel for the WiFi band in use?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I have 3 APs in total, all 3 have a 2.4Ghz interface, and are set individually to channels 1, 6 and 11 with the same SSID.

Channel 1 - Router

Channel 6 - Upstairs

Channel 11 - Outside

The Outside AP also has a 5Ghz interface, same SSID, but in this case it doesn’t seem to matter as the Move is not using the 5Ghz that I can see.

The Move is ordinarily positioned more or less between the router and outside, and seems to switch very infrequently to be honest, I also carry the Move outside at times.

The Sonos wireless channel is set to Channel 1.  I don’t actually get any outage on the device itself, it functions, plays music, responds etc, it seems that it is only the Android app that loses connection to the Move.

I have 3 APs in total, all 3 have a 2.4Ghz interface, and are set individually to channels 1, 6 and 11 with the same SSID.

Channel 1 - Router

Channel 6 - Upstairs

Channel 11 - Outside

The Outside AP also has a 5Ghz interface, same SSID, but in this case it doesn’t seem to matter as the Move is not using the 5Ghz that I can see.

The Move is ordinarily positioned more or less between the router and outside, and seems to switch very infrequently to be honest, I also carry the Move outside at times.

The Sonos wireless channel is set to Channel 1.  I don’t actually get any outage on the device itself, it functions, plays music, responds etc, it seems that it is only the Android app that loses connection to the Move.

Okay, maybe try this suggestion… keep all the access points on the same SSID and put them all on the same channel - either 1, 6 or 11 and set the channel width to 20MHz. Keep the SonosNet channel on a different channel. So if the AP’s are set on channel 6 (as an example) then put SonosNet on channel 1 or 11.

See if resolves your dropout issues.