Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos move and Wifi problem (again)

• 23 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Hello

I know this is a popular problem and while I ve tried many suggestions I still have havent solved it.

I recently changed my wifi with a new modem router provided by my ISP. Now I am not able to connect to it,  did the reconnect procedure on the app many times and it fails when connecting to the new wifi with error "Connection problem". The new wifi uses a single SSiD for both 2.4 and 5g channels. Not sure if this is related. I was able to reconnect all my devices on the new wifi (even some dumb AC controller device) but the move... 

Help appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Coconouts 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of the trouble you’ve had with your Move. To give your Move the best chance of getting connected, please reboot your phone/tablet and try adding the Move to your WiFi once more.

If that does not help, please try using another phone or tablet, if that’s an option for you, or try rebooting your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds, then wait a few minutes for WiFi to return.

If none of this works, however, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

The move is a very frustrating product to try and fix WiFi problems with. Mine connects, shows it has excellent connection then anywhere from minutes to days later it will drop connection and refuse to work, it sometimes full on freezes and I have to either factory reset the move or go through the hassle of setting up my entire sonos system again.

Support on this was the worst experience I had with the rep contradicting himself then getting upset when I actually did what he had previously told me, then going back and forth arguing that it wasn’t possible that my router was also my modem…

He had also mentioned “its not normal for someone to split 2.4 and 5ghz wifi, they should be the same” when on the sonos support page it suggest to split them to avoid any issues.

I really wish I had purchased this at a box store so I could just return it but now I’m like 3 days past the money back guarantee so we’ll see what support says now.

Thanks for your help. But now my Move is bricked. I forced shutdown after a last failed attempt to reconnect wifi and now it doesn't start anymore. For a 400$ device, it is really disappointing. I will try calling the support, as it is now my last hope to revive it before throwing it to the bin.

Similar problem. I brought my move on vacation and was able to connect to my brother’s WiFi. Came home and having lots of trouble reconnecting to my system. I reset the Move and reset my WiFi router multiple times, in multiple orders. A few times it connected fully, but then said Move Not Registered. Click on it and it makes you connect again, same result. Infuriating. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Coconouts 

My advice was for a) helping you connect your Move, but also b) troubleshooting steps for determining if your Move had a fault or not. It seems that the latter is likely. I hope our support team can find an acceptable solution for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Semicolonpowell

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Hi @Coconouts 

My advice was for a) helping you connect your Move, but also b) troubleshooting steps for determining if your Move had a fault or not. It seems that the latter is likely. I hope our support team can find an acceptable solution for you.

Hi Corry thanks for your advice but my Move was bricked in a last attempt before I could try your suggestion. I ll contact the support now.