Answered

Smoke from Sonos Roam and Burned USB Port

• 2 October 2023
  • 17 replies

Hello,

I’ve had a Sonos Roam since 2021 but today for no apparent reason the USB charging port started to burn. We first noticed the room smelled increasingly of smoke, and when I checked the Roam the cable was hot and burned. The cable was hot at the wall side, too. I’m pretty sure it’s the original cable that came with the Roam.

Has anyone else had this problem? It’s a bit concerning, out of the blue. Luckily we were home as I don’t know if it would eventually have caught fire.

Paul.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 October 2023, 10:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

That’s very concerning!

I have not had this happen but seem to remember someone else saying it had happened (I think maybe on here quite a while ago?)

As this is the second incident I have read about at least, I think Sonos may need to urgently address this as like you say, what would have happened if you weren’t at home?

What power-block were you using to charge it Paul, was/is it PD certified

Perhaps more importantly, have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @PaulSmith, welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for letting us know what happened.

As @Airgetlam stated, please get in contact with our support team so we can help you further with this.

This is the charger I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YDG76FJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Moderator Edit: Removed case number from post 

The link in the above post isn’t working for me, but I assume it’s this…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YDG76FJ

Edit - the link in the above post has since been corrected and is now working.

Neither link to Amazon is working for me here in the states. I’ll note that the first link was working earlier, as I did look up the charger. However, testing both links now brings up an Amazon error page. Which makes me wonder if they no longer allow that device to be sold.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The link is working fine for me. Maybe you folks have some duplicate IPs on your network, time to reboot your network 😃 

I’ve done my best to correct it in my earlier post, but seems that some have an issue with the links (not sure why?). I’ve now embedded it in this LINK - maybe that will work better🤞?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@PaulSmith it looks like you were very lucky that this did not result in something more serious than the damaged Roam.

Did you have more than just the Roam connected to the charger?

Also please update the thread if you hear back from Sonos support. 

I personally thought that it ‘might’ be something to do with the charger itself, that’s having read some of the user-comments on Amazon about it, but who knows🤷‍♂️?

I had the exact same thing happen to my Sonos Roam. After hours of trying to connect with Sonos help they required me to spend hours packing it up and shipping it back only to replace it with the EXACT SAME FIRE HAZARD. Impossible to get any customer service - had to schedule a call a month ahead and then they called at the wrong time. After being a loyal Sonos customer for years, I’ll now migrate totally away from them to another product. No customer service, no customer recovery. I can’t believe such terrible customer service exists in the current online review world. Bye Sonos!

Hi @PaulSmith, welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for letting us know what happened.

As @Airgetlam stated, please get in contact with our support team so we can help you further with this.

So Sonos Support can ignore you too

I had the exact same thing happen to my Sonos Roam. After hours of trying to connect with Sonos help they required me to spend hours packing it up and shipping it back only to replace it with the EXACT SAME FIRE HAZARD. Impossible to get any customer service - had to schedule a call a month ahead and then they called at the wrong time. After being a loyal Sonos customer for years, I’ll now migrate totally away from them to another product. No customer service, no customer recovery. I can’t believe such terrible customer service exists in the current online review world. Bye Sonos!

…but you only just joined the forum here today? Anyhow, bye … 👋 

Bye-bye @Byebye 

Same thing happened to me but the charger was their branded product. Sonos said they were replacing the speaker 3 weeks ago. They’ve gone silent. We burned our fingers unplugging this. They offered nothing in terms of any form of apology or compensation. We are now up to Level 3 customer service, which has proven to be as subpar as the first two levels. I’ve googled and there are multiple people who have had this issue. I have a client who specializes in class action lawsuits. Has anyone else had this kind of issue and was harmed? They won’t allow video posting here but here’s a screenshot of the smoke and melting from their Sonos branded charger. It’s the only one I’ve ever used on my (3 month old?) Sonos Roam — which no longer works. 

Sonos rep who reads this and tell me to contact you, the case number is ********. You can contact me

Moderator Edit: Removed Case number (but noted).

Same issue and service is HORRIBLE!! Kept promising follow up calls with none made, wasting our time waiting for them. It’s like they’re TRYING to aggravate their clients whose homes they almost burn down. This is so bad that after spending literally thousands on 3 dozen of their products, we’re now phasing them all out and will never buy another Sonos product again. Lots of great options now entering the market. Bye bye Sonos!

I hate to hear this! I think we should start an official log.

If you have encountered any safety concerns with your Sonos Roam or related Sonos-branded chargers, including instances of catching fire, melting, or emitting harmful chemicals, we urge you to share your experience here. Your input is invaluable in addressing these critical issues:

https://bit.ly/SonosFire