Setting up a Roam with Existing S1 Devices on the WI-FI Network

• 13 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Everything I have read on this forum, and in the Sonos docs, led me to believe that I could add a Roam to my existing S1 system, albeit with limitations around sperate apps etc. This setup would not be a problem for me as the Roam would be used primarily in the garden.

To setup the Roam i unplugged all the S1 kit and then installed the S2 app. On the S2 app, i got the Roam up and running with my music services. I then set it up on my tablet, and other devices. Everything looked good.

However, when the S1 kit was turned back on, the S2 app stopped working. The S2 compatible devices had somehow automatically upgraded and were no longer in the S1 app. Now, both the S1 and S2 systems were broken. I then had to spent the next few hours factory resetting and 'downgrading' back to S1.

Over the weekend I tried to get help from Sonos support, but after 3 chat sessions were disconnected mid session, I gave up.

This evening I tried again, and this time spent 1hr 40mins on a chat session. The following is from the transcript refering to running S1 and S2 systems:

Agent: Since there is multiple Sonos system connected to the same network, the app might get confused about which Sonos system to connect to when the roam disconnects from the network. Make sure to keep the Sonos Roam connected to the wifi before opening the app so that it will automatically detects it.

Me: my concern is, what happens if the S2 app is used when the Roam is not on the network, either off or out of battery, or not in wifi range.

Agent: The S2 app will not connect automatically, so you have to check if the app is trying to connect to the existing Sonos system(S1). YOu can turn the speaker on and then close and reopen the Sonos app and see if connected to the Sonos Roam.

Me: but there is 4 of us in our household with multiple devices and levels of tech savvy. To be honest this all sounds a bit of a faff. It doesnt sound like it will work for us. it needs to be like the old system where it just worked. this doesnt feel right.

Agent: I totally understand how you feel about this. This is something that we do not want you to experience as well. We actually recommend keeping 1 Sonos system only on one network. Since there are multiple system on the same network, it is causing conflict when another system is not connected because the Sonos app will automatically reconnect to the one that is active. To actually solve the issue is to have a separate wifi network for the S1 and S2. So every time you want to connect to the S2, you'll have to switch your phone's wifi network.

Am I going to setup 2 separate home WiFi networks, and then switch between them depending on the Sonos device I want to listen to? Of course not. So the Roam is going back to the retailer, for a refund.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @terryo 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear of the trouble you have had. For the record, the last statement you have quoted from our support agent is incorrect - you do not need two networks to run a S1 system and a S2 system side-by-side!

Instead, the S1 system should have been told to stay as S1:

1. Open the S1 Sonos app and tap System » System Tools » System Compatibility Check, then follow the prompts.

2. Select Continue using S1.

I will ensure some feedback gets to the agent involved.

It seems, however, you were not expecting to have to use two separate Sonos apps for your two systems - there’s no way around that, unfortunately.

I don’t know if you have returned your Roam already, but if you have not and need any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to ask.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Corry P

I’m more than a bit annoyed now, as based on the wrong advice I was given by the support agent, I returned the Roam yesterday!

Prior to purchase, I spent a long time searching through these forums to verify that it would work. I completely understood the limitations of S1/S2 apps, and I was perfectly happy to have the Roam in the S2 app on it’s own, and all the other kit, on the S1 - that was my original plan.

The only reason I bothered with the support chat was to be completely sure it didn't mess up again, after my first attempt at setup, where I had to factory reset everything. I had even done the compatibility check and selected Continue using S1.  

I’m kicking myself now that I bothered contacting support, as I’d probably have a working system if I hadn’t.

Bad support is actually worse than no support at all.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @terryo 

I can only apologise, and assure you that feedback will indeed be reaching the agent concerned!

I just got my Roam doorstop too. When I realized that it couldn't be used with S1, I tried to set it up separately on S2, but couldn't do it. I just don't understand why Sonos hasn't figured out that keeping their products on one basic system is just smart marketing is beyond me. They could just say that new products have more capabilities and then show those things "grayed-out” on the older ones. That way people would know what new capabilities are available if they get newer equipment. As it is I have thousands of dollars invested in my system and don't care to spend that all over again just to get some useless “new” features like voice control. Is anyone still using Alexa or Google in their homes? Fortunately, I have manage to get the Roam connected using Bluetooth to give me some use out of the thing.

I just got my Roam doorstop too. When I realized that it couldn't be used with S1, I tried to set it up separately on S2, but couldn't do it. I just don't understand why Sonos hasn't figured out that keeping their products on one basic system is just smart marketing is beyond me. They could just say that new products have more capabilities and then show those things "grayed-out” on the older ones. That way people would know what new capabilities are available if they get newer equipment. As it is I have thousands of dollars invested in my system and don't care to spend that all over again just to get some useless “new” features like voice control. Is anyone still using Alexa or Google in their homes? Fortunately, I have manage to get the Roam connected using Bluetooth to give me some use out of the thing.

How did you set yours up for just bluetooth? I have a ton of S1 only products (play 5, play 3, sub, playbar) and I got this Roam for my boyfriend not realizing that I couldn’t make it work with our system. I missed the return window while traveling after failing to figure out how to set it up and now I’ve got a doorstop as you called it. I can’t figure out how to just make it work like a bluetooth speaker so we can use it outside or when traveling which is what we got it for. Would be ideal to mesh in with our current system, and it’s bollocks that we have all of these expensive products (10 speakers throughout the house) we’ve used constantly over the last 10 years and can’t just add 1 new product to our house, but seems like Sonos has ZERO interest in fixing this. 

So any insight on how you got your Roam to just be a bluetooth speaker instead of a doorstop would be awesome. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @J and K in MD 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

You should find that you’ll be able to setup your Roam on the S2 software/app if you disconnect the S1 devices from power before you start and until the process is complete. Once done, you can turn them all back on again, and the S1 app will communicate with the S1 system as it did before, and the Roam will be alone on the S2 app. Once Roam has completed device setup, you can then set it up for Bluetooth - and Voice Control, if you want to avoid the use of two separate apps as much as possible.

Pair Sonos Roam with Bluetooth

I hope this helps.