Skip to main content
Answered

Roam won't play

• 6 February 2022
  • 7 replies

My Roam won’t play when connected to Wi-Fi.  It played once when I first set it up but now it (for lack of a better way to describe it) skips while playing music.  Another interesting behavior is that when I try to increase the volume it sets itself back to a set volume, e.g. its at 15 and when I try to go to 30 it pops back to 15.  Volume limiting is off..  I have reset it several times and re-paired it to no avail. 

BUT - bluetooth works….

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

This is most likely caused by a poor WiFi connection. Describe your network for us. How far is ROAM from the WiFi access point? Are there any walls between ROAM and the WiFi access point? What is the source of your music?

Correction to the above - BT doesn’t work either - I walked away and came back - now BT does the same thing,

To answer the questions - about 15 feet away and in line of sight of the router.  Music source is Spotify and Pandora (same behavior)

I have the same exact issue with my roam down to I try to increase the volume and it goes right back to 15 same number and all it’s like it’s on a start play loop continuously and it always starts at 15 cause cause it in less then a second resets the volume to 15 and echo skips the whole time if you listen very closely it driving me nuts and it’s def not a bad Wi-Fi connection on my end my play 3 works lovely tho I tried factory resetting it and now it can’t pair cause it can’t hear the pin code to pair cause even after factory resetting it’s still echo skipping and resetting to 15 but from what I’ve been reading it’s seems like this isn’t out of the ordinary behavior and that the roams are fairly known to subject you to this torturous behavior have you had any luck with anyth?.

It does sound like a bad wifi connection, although it may be between your controller device and the network, rather than the network and your Sonos device. 

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

its is all the time so its always with in ten minutes im going to call them but he has the same issue as me down to the volume being forced to 15 i know mine has nothing to do with wifi because i extensively tried different locations completely and i have amazing wifi and no interference on it because i like to keep all my things hardwired over ethernet when efver is possible

its is all the time so its always with in ten minutes im going to call them but he has the same issue as me down to the volume being forced to 15 i know mine has nothing to do with wifi because i extensively tried different locations completely and i have amazing wifi and no interference on it because i like to keep all my things hardwired over ethernet when efver is possible

I would perhaps put the Roam on your routers 2.4Ghz band .. set the channel to a non-overlapping channel (1, 6 or 11) and set the channel-width to 20MHz only - If using SonosNet for non-portable Sonos products, then ensure the SonosNet channel is set at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel. See if those suggestions perhaps fix your reported issue. 

There is no function in the Sonos controller to “change volume to X”. You can only change volume by dragging across the volume cursor, or in some cases, using the hard buttons on either the controller device, or the speaker itself.

At one point in time, my Logitech remote control would set the TV (Sonos speaker) level as part of the turn on process, but that was part of the Logitech programming, completely external to Sonos’.