Roam Won't Connect to new WiFi

• 12 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Moved to a new WiFi Router, and my Sonos Roam won’t play nice with it. I’ve tried to set it up about four times, each time cycling through the setup/troubleshooting options (Make sure the network matches my device, check the password, reboot the Roam, reboot the router, etc.), and occasionally rebooting my device (iPhone), and it’s still not working.

The Wifi comes with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghzs options - The Roam only sees the latter, and even when my device’s WiFi settings are is switched to that one, it’s still not having it.

I’m very tired - Any help is appreciated!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

@ShaunKeen

• Can you perhaps outline what steps you have taken already?
  • Was the Roam originally setup on a previous WiFi network with the same controller device/App?
  • Has either the Roam, or the Controller App, since been reset to ‘factory’ settings?
  • Does the router/WiFi meet the Sonos system requirements?
  • Does the mobile Sonos controller device meet the stated requirements?
  • Any security software running on the controller device, vpn, firewall etc?
  • Is ‘Airtime Fairness’ or ‘QoS’ available/enabled in the router configuration. 
  • Is the DHCP server enabled on the new router?
  • Is MAC address filtering enabled on the new router?
  • Is wireless isolation enabled on the new router?
  • Any managed network switches, or any other wireless access points on the LAN subnet?

…. just need more information here before suggesting some things you can perhaps try. 

Thanks for the guidance! Here goes:

• I’ve ycled through the install process multiple times, including switching off the phone, speaker, router, and changing the WiFi channel (between 2.4/5Ghz)
  • A replacement phone (same make/model), using the same Sonos account, is being used to set up the device
  • I have “rebooted” the Roam by holding down the on/off switch for 15 seconds, as suggested previously - I’ve not played around with the controller app
  • System requirements are met (as far as I can tell - The WiFi package we’re using is fairly standard/high speed)
  • It does (fully updated iPhone 12)
  • Nothing which hasn’t interfered with setup previously
  • I can say with confidence that I can’t answet the rest of the questions, but I can say that nothing has been “done” to the out-of-the-box setup, which uses a fairly standard (Hyperoptic) package

So was the Roam running on a different router previous to the one you’re using now and if so, have you factory reset the Roam at any point?

If not, have you added the new WiFi credentials to the Roam via either the ‘Unable to connect to Sonos.., let’s fix it’ link in the Sonos App, or the ‘Update Networks’ option in the ‘Settings/System/Manage Networks’ area? 

I need to know what has happened so far and what stage your at, it’s still not clear from your posts here so far.

So there are a few questions still…

1. Have you had the Roam working previously with a different router?
  2. Have you ‘factory reset’ the Roam since having the new router? 
  3. If the answer is ‘yes’ to the second question and it’s your one and only device, did you also reset the Sonos App? If the answer is ‘no’ to that second question, have you added the new WiFi credentials to the Roam as outlined in this Sonos support link;

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network