Roam stops charging after a while, when on wireless charging pad

• 12 June 2021
  • 9 replies

I have the Roam on an iOttie Qi wireless charging pad [10w], and it charges fine up to 100%.  But after a while it will stop charging, and the charge % drops to 0.  It seems the wireless charging logic turns itself off after some period of time.  To get it to start charging again, all I need to do is remove it from the pad, wait for a minute, then put it back on the pad, and it starts charging again.  If have the Roam plugged into USB, then it always remains at 100 % charge.  Software is at version 13.1.1.  I have a Move and it does not have this problem

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

From my seat it is hard for me to know if ROAM, the charger, or the combination is at fault. Are you able to split the pair and use another wireless charger for ROAM and charge another device on this charger? ROAM monitors its internal temperature and will pause the charge if there is any overheating, but this pause does not result in discharging to zero. After cooling a while, charging will resume.

Does ROAM remain online during the discharge?

Hi - been on the road for a week, so couldn’t reply.  Yes the wireless charger I have works fine on all my other devices : phone, headphones, etc.  I placed the ROAM (almost fully charged) on the wireless charger last night when I got home, and in the morning it was down to 24%.  I then removed the ROAM from the charger for 10 seconds, and then put it back, and it started charging again (is at 30% 30 minutes later).  So there appears to be an issue with the charging circuitry.  I hadn’t added it back to my home play group, but the white status light was on.  Will do some more tests to see under what conditions it stops charging

You can watch the charging status at the following:

[IP address of ROAM]:1400/status/batterystatus

The PowerSource will probably be misidentified, but all you want to know is “charging” or not. Note that this data is static. You’ll need to refresh the page from time to time.

This is what I see at the ROAM’s ip : 

Health GREEN

Level 23

Temperature HOT

PowerSourceSONOS_CHARGING_RING

Currently room temperature is 84F, and the Move is in the same room with ‘Temperature Normal’. 

Well it seems the problem is the ROAM’s sensitivity to temperature.  This morning it was at 100% charge, with an ambient temperature of 75F.  But status still showing HOT, and is warm to the touch.  I cooled the room down to 71F, and finally got a temperature status of NORMAL, and it is much cooler to the touch.

So why is the ROAM so much more sensitive to ambient temperature than the Move ?  And why does USB charging still work when it’s hot, but wireless does not ?

Have been monitoring charge level all day, and has been dropping while the temperature status is still reporting normal.  If there’s no software fix for this, it must be a hardware issue and I will have to return the unit.  It is way too unreliable to be useful to me

In my case the Roam charges on a 3rd-party certified Qi pad and it reaches full charge after a number of hours - the Qi pad then auto-powers itself ‘off’ and the Roam seems to then go into a discharging state. I see the white Status LED (which I have set to off in the Roam room settings) and the lower Amber Battery LED pulsate for a while.

After a period of time the Qi pad recognises the Roam is no longer fully charged and so it comes back to life (auto-powers ‘on’) and begins charging the speaker back to full power - then it’s ‘rinse and repeat’ until I remove it from the charger. 

I’m not sure if that’s the experience of other Roam users who use a Qi charger, but maybe these things vary depending on the features available on the charging pad - some chargers may not have auto-power off/on etc?

After a period of time the Qi pad recognises the Roam is no longer fully charged and so it comes back to life (auto-powers ‘on’) and begins charging the speaker back to full power - then it’s ‘rinse and repeat’ until I remove it from the charger. 

I’m not sure if that’s the experience of other Roam users who use a Qi charger, but maybe these things vary depending on the features available on the charging pad - some chargers may not have auto-power off/on etc?

Interesting, but that’s not what I’m getting with my Qi charger.  If left on the charger, the Roam eventually goes down to zero charge and remains there.  Then I have to resuscitate it by plugging it into USB.  This is unlike every other device I use with that charger.  They all remain at full charge while sitting on the charger.  I guess I possibly have a defective unit

Interesting, but that’s not what I’m getting with my Qi charger.  If left on the charger, the Roam eventually goes down to zero charge and remains there.  Then I have to resuscitate it by plugging it into USB.  This is unlike every other device I use with that charger.  They all remain at full charge while sitting on the charger.  I guess I possibly have a defective unit

I have a couple of different Qi chargers and the Roam behaves in the same way on both - do you have another certified Qi charger that you can try/borrow, just to see if it makes any difference?