Answered

Roam Sl won’t connect after upgrade

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just loaded the new app.  Speakers and Port work but Roam SL cannot connect. “Unable to connect.  Try again later”. The roam shows up and I connect and Apply, but that’s all folks. No connection.

icon

Best answer by Ulser 18 May 2024, 00:44

View original

21 replies

Same problem after upgrading the app yesterday. Super frustrating

Same here. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Tried again this AM (roughly 10 hours later) and the Roam will connect but the Ones and Port will not.  I get the same error message (“try again later”) when I try to connect them. To be clear, these all worked seamlessly BEFORE the app “upgrade”.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the same issue with the updated app - when trying to use my Roam and my Move I get “Unable to connect, try again later”.  Before the upgrade all worked as expected and have done so for years.  It is unbelieveable that these lovely speakers are now useless.  How could a company that produces such good audio equipment, be so bad at software?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Now, I can get the Roam to connect, AND I can get the Ones, Port and mini to connect, but not all on the same tune.  I used to be able to have one tune playing on all speakers, but now it’s one or the other. I’ve never had so much trouble with an upgrade.

Same here; no issues until the recent update. Big frustration!

Edit: just upgraded the Roam SL from the app, and now it works like before.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just did a factory reset on the Roam and a separate app update for it and tried to reconnect to the system, but …. Wait for it …. There’s a problem.  I found at least one other comment in the Forum from someone in the same situation.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Technically, it “won’t link to your account”

I just did a factory reset on the Roam and a separate app update for it and tried to reconnect to the system, but …. Wait for it …. There’s a problem.  I found at least one other comment in the Forum from someone in the same situation.

I also tried a factory reset on the Roam to no avail. I also tried the suggested “Log out of your account, quit and restart app, log back in”-trick. Which amazingly seemed to fix the problem! It now found the Roam. I play music for about an hour,,, before it suddenly dropped out again🤦🏻 Back to totally unresponsive.

Then I remembered that the seldom used Sonos-app on my iPad may not have been “upgraded” yet! And it wasn’t. So I logged in and immediately found my Roam. Tried playing some music and voila! Works fine. Head into my “upgraded” app on my iPhone and, lo and behold, I can now control the Roam satisfactory there as well.

The Roam has now been completely powered off for some hours. Just tested booting it up, to see if it still appears in the new app. And it did! Plays fine. Hope it lasts..

Userlevel 2
Badge

Although I had updated the app on both my phone and iPad, I decided to try the phone based on your experience (instead of the iPad for the 100th time).  It worked!!  I know it may not last, but it’s working now.  Thanks for the tip.  I owe you an adult beverage.

Userlevel 1

Ok if anyone above can help clarify.. my Roams show on the updated iPhone app, but won’t connect to other speakers.. your comments made me realize I have the iPad app from before the update, and now I see there that the Roam needs an update, but it requires that the app gets updated first.. is this what you did? I feel like I have this one opportunity to keep the old app available to me, but if you’ve updated the iPad app and gotten the Roam to work there I will take the plunge! But wow, what a mess this update really is. I thought I was doing ok but this just totally ruined my experience with their products.

Userlevel 1

Wow.. just got it to work and feel like a dummy, but there is a button on the system settings page, very small, titled “Manage” (of course they went with grey to make it even less visible), and within that menu you can actually force an update to the speakers in your system. I guess the Roams didn’t update automatically. I bet a lot of people might have this issue, I design apps and I totally missed that button/menu option.

Ta-da!  Took me three resets of phone, router, Roam and loads of hair pulling finally in utter frustration deleted the new cranky Sonos 2 app and reloaded it. Found and connected my pesky Roam first try!  Sonos are s**** at software-my considered and long formed opinion. Good luck guys 😜

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 1

Now, I can get the Roam to connect, AND I can get the Ones, Port and mini to connect, but not all on the same tune.  I used to be able to have one tune playing on all speakers, but now it’s one or the other. I’ve never had so much trouble with an upgrade.

Same. Can't group the Roam with another room anymore. Worked fine before the upgrade 🤬

Userlevel 1

Wow.. just got it to work and feel like a dummy, but there is a button on the system settings page, very small, titled “Manage” (of course they went with grey to make it even less visible), and within that menu you can actually force an update to the speakers in your system. I guess the Roams didn’t update automatically. I bet a lot of people might have this issue, I design apps and I totally missed that button/menu option.

FIXED MY PROBLEM, THANX!!! 😃

Userlevel 1

@MarshallF - HERE'S THE FIX!!!!

Wow.. just got it to work and feel like a dummy, but there is a button on the system settings page, very small, titled “Manage” (of course they went with grey to make it even less visible), and within that menu you can actually force an update to the speakers in your system. I guess the Roams didn’t update automatically. I bet a lot of people might have this issue, I design apps and I totally missed that button/

THIS WORKED FOR ME TOO!!!! You’re a wizard👍🏻. Thank you so much – hours on this s***…

Solution: Force a software update on the Roam using the app. 

Wow.. just got it to work and feel like a dummy, but there is a button on the system settings page, very small, titled “Manage” (of course they went with grey to make it even less visible), and within that menu you can actually force an update to the speakers in your system. I guess the Roams didn’t update automatically. I bet a lot of people might have this issue, I design apps and I totally missed that button/

THIS WORKED FOR ME TOO!!!! You’re a wizard👍🏻. Thank you so much – hours on this shit…

Thank you Deorex!

That was the issue.  I forced the update and bam!  It now works. 

Thanks to your posts, I solved the issue in 2 mins. 

I’m having the same problem. I just received the Roam SL, I don’t have any other Sonos products. I followed all instructions, downloaded the app, it finds the Roam, but can’t set it up. I have tried at this point probably 100+ times over various days. I have installed and uninstalled the app, done the factory reset on the Roam, turned my phone on and off, reset my router...all with no success. I tried to get on the chat for support, there was no chat available, and a 65 minute wait for support on the phone. I’m beyond frustrated and ready to return - it should not be this difficult. 

This saved the problem for me. No logging out, reinstalling or stunts alike. Just manually check for updates. Found one for my roam. Did it. Boom!

And yes, they are amazingly bad at software and getting things done right. Like the missing alarm in the new app. Pittyful.