Roam SL airplay-no longer able to connect via airplay

• 11 February 2023
  • 5 replies

For a few days now, I’m unable to connect either my iPhone or iPad to my Roam SL via AirPlay. 

Symptoms: 

1. when Roam speaker is on, it does not show in the Sonos app
  2. when the Roam speaker is on, it shows that it’s asleep in the Sonos app
  3. When the Roam speaker is on, and I try to share audio via AirPlay from my device, the speaker is an option on the airplay list, but times out and does not connect 

What I’ve tried:

a. powered off all devices and powering them back on, phone, iPad, Roam. 
b. Reset the Roam speaker 
c. Made sure all devices have the most recent OS and updates
d. Unpaired my Roam from my Sonos system and set the speaker up again via the set up process  

Briefly after I completed step d above, I could play music on my speaker but it then dropped mid stream and I haven’t been able to play music it on it again. At this point I don’t know what else to do. Anyone have any suggestions ? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Have you tried a reboot of your router? 

For a true belt and suspenders approach, I’d power down completely the Roam before rebooting the router, just in case there is a lingering duplicate IP address causing this issue. 

Thanks Bruce, I’ll give that a go. 

Beyond that, I’m somewhat at a loss as to why this might be happening. If this doesn’t fix the issue (and I have an 80% confidence level), I’d submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

The challenge will be you are only partially using Sonos. Until the speaker receives the signal from your Wi-Fi, it’s not in Sonos’ hands. 

Appreciate the advice! I’ll report back with some comments. Oddly enough, the device must have heard me talking about it cause it’s working right now. More to come! 

That lends some credence to the possibility of a duplicate IP address issue, although doesn’t make it certain. That power down / reboot the router would help in that situation short term, with the longer term being assigning the Sonos a reserved IP address in your router’s DHCP table, something that would be covered in the manual for your router. And doing that anyway is healthy for a network.