Answered

Roam pair as a seperate system?

• 23 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Forgive me if this has already been covered but my search didn’t find it.

I would like to make my Roams a separate system for travel/holidays. I want the facility of a stereo pair so, as I understand it, Bluetooth doesn’t do what I want.

If I try and reset them to do this and reset the app, then as soon as I log in with my email address, the app goes looking for the rest of the system it knows I have. Then it doesn’t seem to want me to connect to another network because it can’t find everything.

My question: Do I need to create a new Sonos account with a different email so that I can have another “household”, or am I missing something obvious?

TIA

icon

Best answer by Corry P 25 April 2023, 10:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mistyoptic 

Thanks for your post!

There should be no need to reset anything, or to create a second Sonos system or account. Simply take your Roams with you and when WiFi is available, connect to it on your phone and open the Sonos app. When it says it can’t find a Sonos system, tap “Fix it” and you’ll be offered the chance to get your speakers onto the same new WiFi as your phone.

With both Roams on WiFi, the stereo pair will be available for Bluetooth.

Ignore any missing rooms in the app while you are on holiday. Please note that hotels typically require web-portal logins, which Sonos does not support - if you don’t have access to a router for your own use, I recommend getting a travel router so you can maintain your own private network while on holiday.

When you return home, your Roams will automatically reconnect to your WiFi and to the rest of your Sonos system.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks @Corry P   

I think the issue may be with the local Wi-Fi. I keep getting a message that the Roam “cannot be connected to [SSID]” despite the password being correct.

guess I’ll continue for now with Bluetooth and follow your idea of a portable router for future 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mistyoptic 

Assuming you are at a hotel, it’s quite unlikely that you would be able to connect Sonos to their WiFi - if you need to open a webpage on your phone in order to connect to WiFi, that’s going to be a problem for that reason alone, but also because such networks won’t allow devices to talk to one another.

Travel routers can connect to these hotel WiFis and act as a bridge between them and your devices, also allowing your devices to talk to one another.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @mistyoptic 

Assuming you are at a hotel, it’s quite unlikely that you would be able to connect Sonos to their WiFi - if you need to open a webpage on your phone in order to connect to WiFi, that’s going to be a problem for that reason alone, but also because such networks won’t allow devices to talk to one another.

Travel routers can connect to these hotel WiFis and act as a bridge between them and your devices, also allowing your devices to talk to one another.

I hope this helps.

Not a hotel. An Airbnb with “normal” Wi-Fi login but probably some settings, as you say, which prevent the devices communicating in the way they need. 

No matter, thanks again for your help