Answered

Roam EQ sound adjustment

• 9 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Roam is excellent, portable and sound is good.  Purposely purchased with mic for the TruePlay.  Device needs 3 band EQ adjustment.  Bass is outstanding, Treble is good, not great.  Having no Mid adjustments is horrible!  Seems like an easy software fix. Mid adjustment feature please!

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 16 February 2024, 14:30

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Roam is excellent, portable and sound is good.  Purposely purchased with mic for the TruePlay.  Device needs 3 band EQ adjustment.  Bass is outstanding, Treble is good, not great.  Having no Mid adjustments is horrible!  Seems like an easy software fix. Mid adjustment feature please!

Perhaps someone from Sonos could advise: is there a mid-range that the bass and treble doesn't affect? Does reducing both bass and treble effectively give more presence in the mid-range?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Dhiltabidle, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I also think that having a Mid adjustment would be a good idea. I’ve gone ahead and marked this thread as a feature request to be considered by our team. If you have any more suggestions, please feel free to post them here on the community!

Perhaps someone from Sonos could advise: is there a mid-range that the bass and treble doesn't affect? Does reducing both bass and treble effectively give more presence in the mid-range?

I asked one of our engineers and they said that adjusting the bass and treble wont have an effect on the mid-range. However, they did suggest that increasing the bass or treble would make it seem like mid-range lower is by comparison. Effectively it would give more presence, but more in the way that you hear less of the bass and treble, and not that we’re actively increasing the mid-range.

I know the Roam is a budget speaker, but in a world that “more” is better…MORE IS BETTER! Like in the movie “Spinal Tap”, they discuss why some volume adjustments on amps go to “10”, theirs go to “11”. More adjustments is a good thing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dhiltabidle, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I also think that having a Mid adjustment would be a good idea. I’ve gone ahead and marked this thread as a feature request to be considered by our team. If you have any more suggestions, please feel free to post them here on the community!

I asked one of our engineers and they said that adjusting the bass and treble wont have an effect on the mid-range. However, they did suggest that increasing the bass or treble would make it seem like mid-range lower is by comparison. Effectively it would give more presence, but more in the way that you hear less of the bass and treble, and not that we’re actively increasing the mid-range.

Thanks @Jamie A  - that makes sense. Good to know the mid-range is there “untouched” in between the adjustable low and high frequencies.

Dare I suggest that should make a mid-range adjustment relatively simple to implement, since the frequencies are already being isolated to have bass/treble adjustment! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thanks @Jamie A  - that makes sense. Good to know the mid-range is there “untouched” in between the adjustable low and high frequencies.

Dare I suggest that should make a mid-range adjustment relatively simple to implement, since the frequencies are already being isolated to have bass/treble adjustment! 

I agree that it would be fairly easy to add considering, though the most I can do is pass this along as a feature request.

While discussing with our team, they suggest that Trueplay is preferable over the in app EQ adjustments as it gives better results, as well as being much easier to set up since you don’t have to play the EQ adjustments by ear.

We have a blog post on Trueplay that goes into a lot more detail about the feature and mentions multiband equalization, worth the read if you have time.

Over the decades I’ve come across numerous listeners who never think things “sound right” unless all available tone controls are set to max. These listeners would not appreciate what we might consider “proper” equalization. Trueplay is a bust for these listeners.