Answered

Roam connection issues

• 17 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Dear Support,

I bought my Sonos Roam a few days ago, and it has been a huge disappointment.
So far, I have only used it at home on wifi, but it regularly drops the connection after 1-2 hours, which can only be solved by rebooting and reconnecting. Tried the factory reset but the error persists.

In addition, I have a Beam on LAN and a Symfonisk light on WI-Fi, they work relatively flawlessly.

Any tips to troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks,

David

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 18 April 2023, 03:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@sdavid

Your LAN connected Beam creates the SonosNet wifi, that is used by the Symfonisk speaker. You can take a look in app settings under “about my system” and Beam and Symfonisk should show WM0.

But Sonos Roam as a portable speaker doesn't support SonosNet. So it depends on your routers wifi. It should show WM1 in system info.

Can you please give us some more information about your network setup? Is there only a router or for example also wifi repeaters? A repeater could cause problems as you mentioned.

Note, however, that this is a community site, and not strictly a Sonos Support site. If you want to speak with Support, you need to call Sonos Support directly.

@sdavid

Your LAN connected Beam creates the SonosNet wifi, that is used by the Symfonisk speaker. You can take a look in app settings under “about my system” and Beam and Symfonisk should show WM0.

But Sonos Roam as a portable speaker doesn't support SonosNet. So it depends on your routers wifi. It should show WM1 in system info.

Can you please give us some more information about your network setup? Is there only a router or for example also wifi repeaters? A repeater could cause problems as you mentioned.

Thank you, you are right, the Beam and the Symfonisk are on WM: 0 (and the router shows as if they are connected by cable) and the Roam is on WM: 1.

I have a Synology RT1900ac router in a relatively small apartment. I don't have too many devices connected to it, a phone, a laptop, and a couple of smart devices, and so far I haven't had any problems with any of them.

I set the Roam to fixed IP, connected on 5GHz and also set beamforming, but it didn't help. Everything is running the latest software, but I have just installed the latest update released today, which I am still testing.

Note, however, that this is a community site, and not strictly a Sonos Support site. If you want to speak with Support, you need to call Sonos Support directly.

I know, thank you, I was originally going to email support, but I thought I'd try here first, it might be quicker.

Unfortunately, no improvement and the error persists.

Same here… Synology wlan (wired mesh) with several Sonos Speakers working fine - except the Roam. It plays music from the Library (NAS) but in the app it is as „sleeping“… Can’t connect via NT either. 

@Loca 

Talked to support, and they suggested that I switch to 2.4GHz on Roam, because SonosNet works on that too. Since then, I've had no more problems of that kind.

It's worth a try or write to the support. It was a positive surprise for me too, they didn't offer the usual "restart the device" solutions.

2.4 works, thanks for the advice!!! I had to swich off the smart connect feature but coud reactivate it after the installation. But for a not very old poduct, the Roam imo should be able to deal with these network-settings….