Answered

Roam, and moving between access points

• 1 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi all

Well, this surprised me. I was working in the garden today with my Roam, and I have two Ubiquti Unifi access points in the garden. Music at the top of the garden was great; music at the bottom of the garden was great too. But walking between top and bottom, and therefore transitioning between the two APs, resulted in about 12 seconds with no music.

I have excellent coverage across the whole garden, and I was able to run a continuous “ping” from my phone when I was investigating, so it’s not a coverage issue.

I must admit, I was very surprised. Of all the gadgets and toys that we have in the house, I’ve never had a single one that couldn’t cope with changing AP. Until now.

Am I alone?

Thanks

Jim

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 1 April 2024, 22:05

View original

5 replies

I have a Roam called ‘Sonos Moss’ setup on a Plume WiFi mesh network here and just as a  very quick test I played a Pink Floyd playlist, including ‘Take it Back’ etc. to the speaker using Alexa & Amazon Music and walked from the front to the back of the house and the Roam switched Hubs/AP’s. 

Initially it was on 5Ghz channel 44 on Plume Hub named Horizon-RG6  - this is a 6AX SuperPod which is also acting as router in the front main Dining Room. The Roam must have switched at some point, as I walked from the front to the back of the House (or maybe between tracks) - because the Plume App then showed it connected to another AP called Skyview-FL5 (also on 5Ghz channel 44) - which is a wireless Superpod Iocated in the rear Kitchen/Diner of the Home. I have to close/reopen the Plume App to refresh its screen.

The music definitely did not stop and there was no long(er) delay between any tracks played - in fact I can’t actually say at what point it truly switched AP’s. It seemed to work fine for me. 

Side-by side screenshot attached showing the AP switch.

I will just add that the IP address of the Roam, is ‘Reserved’ in the routers DHCP reservation table, in case that may have some bearing on the matter.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I will just add that the IP address of the Roam, is ‘Reserved’ in the DHCP reservation table, in case that may have some bearing on the matter.

Thanks Ken, I’ll add a reservation for the Roam and try again, it’s easy to recreate as it happened every time.

@jimbob123,

Also, just in case, I do have a couple of what ‘might’ be helpful links for Uniquiti Unifi AP’s too, that I have picked up from other posts here in the community … not sure if they might be helpful to you too.

See below:

Also see this manufacturers official link:

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@jimbob123 

Before blowing up my mind about it I would run some tests, if the issue can be reproduced. If not, 
imo the reason might have been some temporary wireless interruptions. Maybe outside the house near your garden there were some passing by wireless devices that caused the issue.