Problems everytime I try to connect Sonos Move

• 3 April 2023
  • 8 replies

I’ve never experienced so many problems with a pair of speakers. There has never been ONE time I’ve tried to use these speakers that I have not run into connectivity issues taking less than 20 minutes to resolve. Every other device in my home stays connected so it is NOT my router. Does anyone else have these issues? If I could return the speakers I would but it’s far too late and they were a gift. At almost $1000 for a pair you’d think these type of issues would have been resolved long ago. Very frustrating.

8 replies

SONOS units require more robust networking than a simple phone/pad/computer/thermostat/etc. 

Describe your network for us. What model router are you using. Mesh networks? WiFi extenders?

Do you keep the MOVE’s on their charger when not deployed as portables?

I don’t have such issues from one year to the next.

Yes, same problem.   I have two moves, separate from my main system in a different city, and every time I try and connect I get the “power them off and on” and “unplug your router” prompts.   It’s literally maddening.   So unfortunate because when they’re working they sound great but just terrible connectivity for no reason.   Brand new router, 500mb speed working well for everything else and not a lot using the system.   

Do the MOVE’s travel with you or remain at the alternate location?

They remain at the location only connected to the one network but they’re powered off and stored when I’m not there.  

The problem has been a lot worse recently and since we added the second move, which was 18 months ago. 

Is it possible that the MOVE’s batteries are fully discharged when you arrive and the MOVE’s can’t immediately start?

Had either of the MOVE’s been setup on the system at the main house? If so, and you are using a different SSID (WiFi name) and password, this could result in that message, but it should be a one time event. Is it possible that you have set up the units as a separate system, registered to a different email address?

No, they were bought specifically for this house and only set up here but at different times.  They come up as one system.   But it’s gotten to the point where a playlist stops and 20 minutes go by and I try and start a new playlist and it can’t find the speakers and asks me to turn them off and then unplug the router.  Has happened a dozen times in a week.  

No, they were bought specifically for this house and only set up here but at different times.  They come up as one system.   But it’s gotten to the point where a playlist stops and 20 minutes go by and I try and start a new playlist and it can’t find the speakers and asks me to turn them off and then unplug the router.  Has happened a dozen times in a week.  

I would detail the network you are using - Wife and I have two Moves that are mainly use at Home/Garden and often take one with us when in the camper van and I can’t recall them ever dropping their WiFi connection. Have you tried switching them to a different WiFi band and/or channel?

As an example, if you presently have the speakers up and running on your 5Ghz WiFi band, then perhaps try them on the more penetrating 2.4Ghz band instead and set that band to use non-overlapping channel 1, 6 or 11. If your router configuration pages allow, you could even reduce the potential for WiFi interference by setting the 2.4Ghz bands channel-width to 20Mhz only. 

If you’re not sure how to do those things then maybe check your router user manual, or YouTube videos for the particular router you are using.

You also may find that reserving your Sonos IP addresses in the routers DHCP reservation table, to ensure they alway get the same network address, might also prove to be helpful, but that is entirely optional.

I hope those few suggestions assist.