Move connection - new finding

• 7 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Like a lot of other people I am deeply frustrated with connectivity of the Sonos Move connected through my mesh wifi network. 
While I previously haven’t been able to find any consistency in when the move sent offline, disappear from the app or was visible but without any contact, I just now found a reproduceable behavior. 
If I turned Off my wifi on the phone, closed the app and stood near the router of my mesh system (making sure I would Connect to that and not the satelite) and then turned on my wifi and opened the app all speakers of my system appears incl the move and could be controlled. 
If I then repeated the above but stood near a sattelite the Move speaker isn’t visible. But all other speakers are and working as expected. 

the “funny” thing is that in the last scenario that isn’t working the move and my phone is connected to the same sattelite. 
This problem is ONLY with my move. All other works as expected. 

my mesh system is Netgear Nighthawk wifi 6 mesh system with router and 2 sattelites. 
The phone connected is iPhone. 
I am running both a S1 and S2 system (%#?!)

S1 connected with boost and S2 running on wifi. 

HELP Sonos!!!!! I am getting increasingly frustrated and though I love the Move I am considering returning it and hence stop further upgrade and expansion of my system. 
Honestly, looking through the community I am happy to see that many others experience the same problem and at the same time deeply disappointed to see that the problem has existed so long for so many without a solution. 
Previos trademark of sonos with reliability and easy seems to have disappeared 😥
Best regards Peter

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If your mesh wifi is hopping from channel to channel on “auto channel” to get the best results, your Sonos speakers and app will struggle to keep finding each other. Try locking your mesh to channel 1, 6 or 11 and see how that goes. 

Also, you could try wiring one device (not the Move) to the router and run in SonosNet mode, to take your Sonos kit off the wifi network and into its own “network”.

Badge

If your mesh wifi is hopping from channel to channel on “auto channel” to get the best results, your Sonos speakers and app will struggle to keep finding each other. Try locking your mesh to channel 1, 6 or 11 and see how that goes. 

Also, you could try wiring one device (not the Move) to the router and run in SonosNet mode, to take your Sonos kit off the wifi network and into its own “network”.

@nik9669a My move as well as my phone is connected through 5 GHz on a fixed Channel. 
Moreover this doesn’t Seem to be the problem since it is only a problem with the move device. 
all the other units works fine. 
And the app finds all other units without any problem regardsless of where my phone is connected. 

Your last suggestion is not an option. Move can’t operate on sonosnet

Badge

I have now been in contact with netgear support (equals at least 10-15 hours in total during many nights) beyond the “no expert knowledge” and a solution is on it’s way. 
I have just tested a development firmware and it seems to work. 
Finally !!!!!!!!